Jump to content

What to do with #2?


Jerzey
 Share

What should we do with the pick?  

56 members have voted

  1. 1. What should we do with the pick?

    • Draft Slafkovsky
    • Draft Nemec
    • Draft Jiricek
    • Trade down
    • Trade for immediate help
    • Draft Cooley
    • Other


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, devlman said:

I still can’t believe perennial FORTY-goal scorer Debrincat went for the seventh pick. Guess he’s no Nemec. Anyone clamoring for the playoffs next year cannot defend that.

He went for that pick because he’s got one year left and no extension in place. That’s literally the only reason why it didn’t cost more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Projected chance of becoming a star is 78%. Our fans would have ended up hating Wright. He's not flashy. Fans only care about goals & assists with forwards drafted high. Nobody appreciates defense from forwards. Maybe we shouldn't be shocked that the Devils chose defense over adding yet another center. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MB3 said:

Jiricek is injury prone (and actively, currently, as I'm typing this injured). If the Devils drafted him we'd have to take away Carp's shoelaces! Don't do that to him! 

Cooley woulda been cool. DeBrincat better. Tkachuk best. But, it didn't happen and I'm stoked that the Devils have added an elite RHD defenseman. 

"Elite?" That's a stretch. I know I know he's playing with men....in Slovakia in a league that plays like 40 some games a season and he lit it up getting most of his 48 points this season with one goal and 25 assists. But "elite?" Even with those blazing stats and the talent in professional Slovakian hockey, that's a stretch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Jiricek is injury prone (and actively, currently, as I'm typing this injured). If the Devils drafted him we'd have to take away Carp's shoelaces! Don't do that to him! 

Cooley woulda been cool. DeBrincat better. Tkachuk best. But, it didn't happen and I'm stoked that the Devils have added an elite RHD defenseman. 

Fair point about Jiricek, he’s probably not the better of the two. I hope Semec is elite, but there’s not much out there suggesting it. Pronman compares him to Weegar - a fine defenseman, but not someone I’d spend a second overall on.

Edited by devlman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MB3 said:

So my nephew has 45 goals so far through 9 games on his AA bantam Red Bank Generals B team. Since it's a B team they only let him score 5 goals a game.

Is he better than Slafkovsky who only had like 9 goals over a whole season? 

Yeah, that’s like 36 goals better. How tall is he, can he be NHL ready in like a year?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, CarpathianForest said:

"Elite?" That's a stretch. I know I know he's playing with men....in Slovakia in a league that plays like 40 some games a season and he lit it up getting most of his 48 points this season with one goal and 25 assists. But "elite?" Even with those blazing stats and the talent in professional Slovakian hockey, that's a stretch.

What made Makar elite? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

He went for that pick because he’s got one year left and no extension in place. That’s literally the only reason why it didn’t cost more.

As I’ve been corrected today, he’s an RFA after next year

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

He went for that pick because he’s got one year left and no extension in place. That’s literally the only reason why it didn’t cost more.

Maybe I’m alone in thinking that these same people would be pissed in a season and a half when we were trading DeBrincat or in 2 seasons when he refused to re-sign here, yelling about “we wasted a 2OA on a year and a half of DeBrincat”. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can we stop with the Debrincat BS. He's a UFA in a year. They can throw money at him then. When they don't have to trade a 2nd overall pick. People act like the team would be a cup contender if they just would have mortgaged everything to get him now. It makes no sense at all.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Nemec played significant minutes versus men in Slovakia for the last two seasons. He has immense international experience. He scored 17 points in 19 games for his club team in Slovakia. He’s already played in two world juniors and was among Slovakia’s best players both times. He has been in two World Championships including 6 points in 8 games at this year’s tournament. He was the best defenseman at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup this summer and in the Olympics this season.

Nemec is a very well-rounded defenseman. His puck game is great. He has the high-end brain to make a lot of tough plays often. Nemec can hit seams, make plays under pressure and makes a great outlet pass. He also shows individual skill which, when combined with good speed, allows him to be dangerous in transition too. Defensively he’s solid due to his skating, compete and brain, even though he’s not imposing physically and can be trusted with tough responsibilities. Nemec projects as a top-pair defenseman.

there i googled it

“Well rounded defenseman”, “solid defensively”.  Sounds like a pretty good prospect. Does he sound like someone you’d spend a second overall pick on though? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Maybe I’m alone in thinking that these same people would be pissed in a season and a half when we were trading DeBrincat or in 2 seasons when he refused to re-sign here, yelling about “we wasted a 2OA on a year and a half of DeBrincat”. 

DeBrincat, in a matter of games playing next to Jack, would be crawling over broken glass to sign long term.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, NJD16W said:

Can we stop with the Debrincat BS. He's a UFA in a year. They can throw money at him then. When they don't have to trade a 2nd overall pick. People act like the team would be a cup contender if they just would have mortgaged everything to get him now. It makes no sense at all.

Two years, but still correct. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, devlman said:

DeBrincat, in a matter of games playing next to Jack, would be crawling over broken glass to sign long term.

Right because everyone loves Jersey. And not winning Cups, which we will not be doing by 2024. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Nemec played significant minutes versus men in Slovakia for the last two seasons. He has immense international experience. He scored 17 points in 19 games for his club team in Slovakia. He’s already played in two world juniors and was among Slovakia’s best players both times. He has been in two World Championships including 6 points in 8 games at this year’s tournament. He was the best defenseman at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup this summer and in the Olympics this season.

Nemec is a very well-rounded defenseman. His puck game is great. He has the high-end brain to make a lot of tough plays often. Nemec can hit seams, make plays under pressure and makes a great outlet pass. He also shows individual skill which, when combined with good speed, allows him to be dangerous in transition too. Defensively he’s solid due to his skating, compete and brain, even though he’s not imposing physically and can be trusted with tough responsibilities. Nemec projects as a top-pair defenseman.

there i googled it

I watched video and read up.

He is playing in a men's league, but a Slovak Men's league which I doubt is about as good as the AHL. He has had 48 pts in 88 games. 26 of those points come from this season over 39 games. The prior 22 are from 49 games he played over 3 seasons. While he does seem to have a decent hockey IQ his skating is average, he has a bad habit of trying to be too fancy and his defense is questionable. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Maybe I’m alone in thinking that these same people would be pissed in a season and a half when we were trading DeBrincat or in 2 seasons when he refused to re-sign here, yelling about “we wasted a 2OA on a year and a half of DeBrincat”. 

You’re not alone in thinking that, and I’m preeetttyy sure you can guess the folks who would be saying just that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Frank Nazar at 13 is great value. Would've loved to see Fitz trade back up, but I question whether or not we have the ammo for that.

The way he just walked back his "i want my kid... i want my family" feels like he has something he isnt telling his parents.... yet.... lol

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, NJD16W said:

Can we stop with the Debrincat BS. He's a UFA in a year. They can throw money at him then. When they don't have to trade a 2nd overall pick. People act like the team would be a cup contender if they just would have mortgaged everything to get him now. It makes no sense at all.

He’s an RFA , but your point stands. I agree, Fitz can’t make a trade that isn’t there. If Chicago didn’t want what we offered, we can’t give up the future for him. Ottawa gave up a 1st and 2nd and maybe Fitz thought that was just too much to give up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CarpathianForest said:

I watched video and read up.

He is playing in a men's league, but a Slovak Men's league which I doubt is about as good as the AHL. He has had 48 pts in 88 games. 26 of those points come from this season over 39 games. The prior 22 are from 49 games he played over 3 seasons. While he does seem to have a decent hockey IQ his skating is average, he has a bad habit of trying to be too fancy and his defense is questionable. 

 

fvck did we draft subban...?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.