Steve Cangialosi stepping down

SterioDesign

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That’s an easy over lol

I was going to go 3.5 but I think he’s gonna be better at it than we think. 

I reserve my right to change the number in the event we hire some dude whose name like rhymes with Steve Cangialosi. 

8 minutes ago, MB3 said:

i love dano, but please give him salvador’s job and then politely ask salvador to go far away somewhere. 

listened to the AHL guy tonight and he has a pretty good voice, too. 

what about kenny albert?

Kenny and Cangi are close, I’ll allow it. 

Out of the 32 television PBP announcers in the league, I would place Cangi somewhere in the middle third.  That's plenty good enough for me as some announcers I have heard are really cringy.  Cangi had a bit of a shaky start but by season 3 he hit his stride and has been decent since.  I will actually miss him on the telecasts of the games.

Thankfully Cangi's position is determined by MSG and not our owners so the chance of his replacement being the cheapest hire around is unlikely.  My first choice would be Kenny Albert but I think he has too much of a good thing going on with the Rangers radio as well as ESPN to leave that.  I also think he will likely be replacing Sam Rosen soon as he appears to be winding down his career.

I hope it's not Laughlin.  While he is pretty good at being an MC or a host, he is just awful as a PBP guy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I agree, but I might accept him if he brings his sidekick with him. 

Chico is really the only reason to listen to the Devils "radio" broadcast.  Matty is just awful.  It shouldn't take him half a period to announce the score.

• Like 2

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

Chico is really the only reason to listen to the Devils "radio" broadcast.  Matty is just awful.  It shouldn't take him half a period to announce the score.

I agree, but I will also say that Chico is so good and so enjoyable, I can tolerate Matt. And, on top of that, there were a number of games this season where I started watching on TV and had to switch to radio because I had to drive my daughter somewhere. Usually I would just DVR and watch when I get home, but this season got to a point where I was fine with just listening and not wasting the time going back to watch. And I have to say, I found the radio broadcasts far more enjoyable, and Chico is a huge part of that. He is so right on the money with his analysis the majority of the time. 

• Like 1

I thought Matt's play by play was a lil mo better. Got excited when Dev's scored. He was better all around!  Replace Cangi, move on.  You know that whomever it is, half of us will like it, the other half won't. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MB3 said:

have met him several times and agree he’s one of the nicest guys around, but I can’t stand him on the radio. You’ll hear a goal horn, a 2 second. pause, and then “he scooooores!”. 

Yeah I love Matt, but PBP isn’t his forte. He’s a great studio host. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

I thought Matt's play by play was a lil mo better. Got excited when Dev's scored. He was better all around!  Replace Cangi, move on.  You know that whomever it is, half of us will like it, the other half won't. 

Exactly right. Half the crowd will either say “I’m never watching another game again until he’s gone” or “I mute the TV during broadcasts”. Those folks won’t be happy no matter what, I suspect. 

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

We don't always realize but we've been so damn spoiled as fans having Brodeur and Doc for SO long, it became our standard.

Now for the rest of our lives, anyone stepping in those roles will always be pale in comparison. 

And Stevens...

• Like 1

Yeah Cangi was generally solid for the last several years, and I'll happily take that from the PBP guy...a hell of a lot better than "cringe", which as DM84 noted, some guys are every bit that, and then some.

I'm with mfitz, if Chico were to come along for the ride, I could live with Matt doing PBP.  Chico will always have that unique "one of us" vibe that can't be taught or faked.  He just works.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

We don't always realize but we've been so damn spoiled as fans having Brodeur and Doc for SO long, it became our standard.

Now for the rest of our lives, anyone stepping in those roles will always be pale in comparison. 

And Lou…

• Like 1

Nothing compares to Doc.  He was just the best there was (at least in my lifetime).   But Cangy did a great job filling his shoes.  I was surprised that he is stepping away from this job as he seemed to enjoy it, was good at it, and started to get national recognition and gigs.  Wish him nothing but the best.

That said, while I like Kenny Albert, I think the Devils broadcast is better served by someone not associated with the Rangers or is lined up to take over their PxP job once Sam rides off into the sunset.  Kenny is a great announcer, but I get the feeling that he would be here a few years, then move over to the Rags.  That's not worth it.

I've been following the Utica Comets a bit this year and have heard all of their posted highlights on Twitter.  Their PxP guy is really good and would be a great replacement for Cangy IMO.  Give that guy the call-up to the National.

• Like 3

On 5/17/2022 at 7:12 PM, SterioDesign said:

No i just know these kind of subjects online never go well, it's not really hockey related and i'm legit making a conscious effort not to argue as much on here so

Feel free to message me about it in private if you want though

I know exactly what you're talking about.

20 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah sadly you never quite know what ya got until it's gone.

I also always feel sorry for the guy who has to be the one who immediately follows the legend.  In a way, I feel like the Patriots' Mac Jones got a little bit of a break...though some see him as following Tom Brady, that's not really accurate...Jones followed Cam Newton, who in his one season for the Pats was god-awful. 

I felt for Didi Gregorius at the time, when he had to step in for Derek Jeter...for guys like Didi, I think all you can really do is try to appreciate them for who they are, cut them some slack...and never ask them to take the place of the legend they're likely never going to replace.