Steve Cangialosi stepping down

SterioDesign

On 5/18/2022 at 9:02 AM, DevsMan84 said:

Thankfully Cangi's position is determined by MSG and not our owners so the chance of his replacement being the cheapest hire around is unlikely.  My first choice would be Kenny Albert but I think he has too much of a good thing going on with the Rangers radio as well as ESPN to leave that.  I also think he will likely be replacing Sam Rosen soon as he appears to be winding down his career.

I hope it's not Laughlin.  While he is pretty good at being an MC or a host, he is just awful as a PBP guy.

Not a Laughlin fan at all as a PBP guy, pretty solid as a MC. Can't see Albert doing it for said reasons and lord knows Rosen should of been shown the door years ago.  I really hope they don't completely screw this up not sure MSG would go with a totally unproven guy especially when the team in theory should start stepping up from doormat status.  Leah Hextall need not apply under any circumstances, ever. 

49 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Not a Laughlin fan at all as a PBP guy, pretty solid as a MC. Can't see Albert doing it for said reasons and lord knows Rosen should of been shown the door years ago.  I really hope they don't completely screw this up not sure MSG would go with a totally unproven guy especially when the team in theory should start stepping up from doormat status.  Leah Hextall need not apply under any circumstances, ever. 

Even ESPN seems to have figured out to move her from terrible play by play to terrible interviews. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Even ESPN seems to have figured out to move her from terrible play by play to terrible interviews. 

Its like she's trying to emulate Jack Edwards but cannot for the life of her figure out her own shtick: during PBP she would almost whisper to try and create drama during a power play, during interviews its like shes TRYING to be over the top and acting "edgy" with her questions. Its like she was never told to just let the game build its own drama, you don't need to manifest it out of nowhere

11 minutes ago, jagknife said:

That would be an insanely massive win for the Devils. I haven't listened to his podcast in a while but even that was pretty good

There's buzz about it at least on a few ESPNNY radio shows, Michael Kaye and Rick DiPietro were saying how it would be the perfect gig for him

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

There's buzz about it at least on a few ESPNNY radio shows, Michael Kaye and Rick DiPietro were saying how it would be the perfect gig for him

I would love to have Don. I hope he is offered the job.

On 5/18/2022 at 4:24 PM, devlman said:

And Lou…

yea, we were a spoiled bunch.

Not only on ice, but Gary Thorne AND doc emrick graced the booth.   

And the greatest to ever wear a rug on his head, chico.

Now if only Steve Cohen was a devils fan....

Screenshot_20220512-173342_Gallery.jpg

20220510_183757.jpg

43 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Overall a really nice release by Cangy, but is anyone else confused at how bizarre and dry it ended? 

"The Devils will soon introduce a new voice to deliver that to you. Can't wait to hear it. MSG Networks and the Devils will soon introduce a new voice." 

It's like... he wrote the same sentence twice, lmao? 

Hopefully a better voice than the PA guy. 

51 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Overall a really nice release by Cangy, but is anyone else confused at how bizarre and dry it ended? 

"The Devils will soon introduce a new voice to deliver that to you. Can't wait to hear it. MSG Networks and the Devils will soon introduce a new voice." 

It's like... he wrote the same sentence twice, lmao? 

“Did you proofread that letter for me?”

”Yeah looks good.”

”You read all the way to the end?”

”Ummm. Yep.”

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, MB3 said:

There is never a time NOT to drop a chico story.

2007 Chico and I become ~moderate~ friends — enough where he actually sorta knows my name and recognizes me with the “raises eyebrows and smiles” thing when he sees me. Every game I’d go outside the Fire lounge and he’d talk with 2-3 fans about what was going on. I didn’t miss a day, for like 3 years.

On Stan Fishler’s birthday he found me in line at a carvel and dragged me into the booth to sing happy birthday to Fishler. I was 16 and thought this is the coolest dude I will ever meet. 

SEVEN years later (seven!) I’m in Tampa Bay for a game, staying at the marriott where the devils are stating. While sharing breakfast with my wife, someone taps my shoulder. Chico fvcking Resch! He says “hey pal, I recognize you, I think you used to have season tickets and we’d talk every 2nd intermission. What’s your name again?”. I was flabbergasted. My girlfriend thought I was the coolest person on the planet. 

He then invited me to sit with him for breakfast. He’s sitting with Bobby Holik and assistant coach Scott fvcking Stevens. Despite knowing I would regret it forever, I politely decline — Holik seemed nice enough but Scotty was giving Chico a very noticeable “cmon dude” look lol. Holik did flirt with my girlfriend though, fair game mate. 

Chico is simply the best. If he’s on color next year I don’t care if it’s CR just rambling cherry picked stats or SD screaming about Lou doing PBP. Gimme chico, please god gimme chico.

Always cool when a celebrity remembers you. 

Not as cool as Chico, but my wife and I met Guy Fieri at a book signing back when he first started at the Food Network. He’s as nice a guy as I have ever met. We had tickets to his cooking demonstration the next day, also he asks our names “so I can say hi tomorrow”. We told him like sure, You’ll remember. 

The next day we are at the demonstration and he walks out on stage and the first thing he does is ask for us by name, and when we waved to show where we were, he just says “I told you I’d remember”. 

A couple of years later, we’re in Epcot in Disney and we ran into him. He was with his sons and his wife, who we also recognize from his TV show. And I mean, it’s Guy Fieri, with the weird goatee and the hair and everything. We easily recognized him. 

So, of course, we say hello like it was the first time we ever saw him, tell him we like his show, etc. He denies that he is Guy Fieri. “I get that all the time”. His kids are laughing. My daughter is like “it’s obviously you, the hair, the beard”, etc. and he just keeps denying it. We figure it’s just part of his schtick, we are all laughing. Eventually we tell him to enjoy the day and we turn and start walking away, and we hear from behind us in a low voice “see you later” and our names. 

• Like 2
  • Shocking 1

I find it a bit odd as well that Cangi is stepping down without much fanfare.  As far as I know, he didn't really mention anything or taking a curtain call the last few games he called for the team.  I'm guessing there are a few possible motives:

1.  World Cup Qatar:  I'm assuming Cangi will be part of the lineup calling games for the WC in Qatar.  This will easily take him out of the MSG lineup for at least 1 month.  Not sure if MSG wanted that.   Keep in mind, the WC is right after the MLS season, where Cangi is also calling games.  So, between the MLS season and the WC, Cangi would be stretched pretty thin if you were to add in early fall games for the NJD.

2.  Someone just doesn't up and leave a gig in a major market like the NY/Tri-state area.  So, either he got a better offer and can't announce it yet, or the Devils have decided to change directions with a new PBP announcer.

3.  Possible internal issues that they are dealing with (synergies with ownership, producers, or even the club).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mitico12 said:

I find it a bit odd as well that Cangi is stepping down without much fanfare.  As far as I know, he didn't really mention anything or taking a curtain call the last few games he called for the team.  I'm guessing there are a few possible motives:

1.  World Cup Qatar:  I'm assuming Cangi will be part of the lineup calling games for the WC in Qatar.  This will easily take him out of the MSG lineup for at least 1 month.  Not sure if MSG wanted that.   Keep in mind, the WC is right after the MLS season, where Cangi is also calling games.  So, between the MLS season and the WC, Cangi would be stretched pretty thin if you were to add in early fall games for the NJD.

2.  Someone just doesn't up and leave a gig in a major market like the NY/Tri-state area.  So, either he got a better offer and can't announce it yet, or the Devils have decided to change directions with a new PBP announcer.

3.  Possible internal issues that they are dealing with (synergies with ownership, producers, or even the club).

I dont find this odd at all, and willing to be your motives are 100% wrong.

1.  HE STILL WORKS FOR MSG, so they clearly have no issues and he's happy working for them, and still has a major gig in the tri state area.

2.  He didn't get a better offer... after 11 years of doing both soccer and hockey with no off-season, it gets tough on the family.  It's been mentioned that he has days worth of soccer and hockey on the dvr that he needs to watch to prepare.  

3. Doesn't appear to be internal issues. Prob the wife would like to see him more, and soccer is his true passion, and an easier travel schedule. It's that simple.

Doc had similar issues, but unlike Steve he didn't call soccer and had an off-season to spend with his wife.   

2 minutes ago, bobilly45 said:

I dont find this odd at all, and willing to be your motives are 100% wrong.

1.  HE STILL WORKS FOR MSG, so they clearly have no issues and he's happy working for them, and still has a major gig in the tri state area.

2.  He didn't get a better offer... after 11 years of doing both soccer and hockey with no off-season, it gets tough on the family.  It's been mentioned that he has days worth of soccer and hockey on the dvr that he needs to watch to prepare.  

3. Doesn't appear to be internal issues. Prob the wife would like to see him more, and soccer is his true passion, and an easier travel schedule. It's that simple.

Doc had similar issues, but unlike Steve he didn't call soccer and had an off-season to spend with his wife.   

I would tend to agree with this. It's obviously not some internal issue because its the same employer he is continuing to work for. He doesn't work for the Devils, perhaps they have some say in it, I don't know. I would tend to think maybe a little and that's how you get alumni like Bryce and Daneyko on the team. 

He's pushing 60 years old, I am sure he is just looking to scale back. I'm 45 and I would love to scale back, and I don't even have to travel. 

• 2 weeks later...

Since soccer is going to be all on apple TV next year, I wonder if Steve will be their pbp guy.

On 5/30/2022 at 12:59 PM, Jerzey said:

Does anyone listen to the “Locked On” podcast? The guy who does the Devils Locked On podcast also does PBP. He might be a good choice. I like his takes on the Devils. Usually agree with him.

https://thehockeywriters.com/author/tmatthews/

You kidding?   This is horrible.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2022 at 12:22 PM, bobilly45 said:

Since soccer is going to be all on apple TV next year, I wonder if Steve will be their pbp guy.

You kidding?   This is horrible.

Upon further review I have to agree. Even the podcast is starting to lose steam for me.