2022-2023 Opening Day Lineup???

CMONPETEYD

I know there is an off-season thread, but I was trying to figure out how our off-season "End Game" would look as Fitz puts together his Opening Day Lineup

There is probably my realistic view & my dream view....  I'll share both

Realistic

Bratt - Hughes - Sharangovich

Wood - Hischier - Mercer

Tatar - Boqvist -  Zetterlund

Johnsson - McLeod - Bastian

Ex - Kuokkenen

Hamilton - Graves 

Severson - Sigenthaler

Okhotyuk - Smith

Ex - Bahl/Walsh

Blackwood

Daws

-----------------------------

Dream

Tkachuk - Hughes - Sharangovich

Bratt - Hischier - Mercer

Mikheyev - Boqvist - Zetterlund

Wood - McLeod - Bastian

Ex: Foote/Kuokkenen

Hamilton  - Zadarov

Severson - Sigenthaler

Okhotyuk - Graves

Ex: Smith/Bahl

Vanecek

Blackwood

In both scenarios, I do not see  Holtz making the team out of camp, and if we keep the # 2 - I do not see that pick starting in the NHL.  

I see you already have Bernier written off. I think that’s probably the way it’s headed, whether he tries to start the season or if they do it from the beginning. 

The bottom 6 in your first scenario is not great, I would prefer not to do that, but who knows. I have to assume we’ll make some kind of move. 

I’m most happy with the defense in the original scenario. If Smith can get back to what he was his first season, that’s not a bad 6. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I see you already have Bernier written off. I think that’s probably the way it’s headed, whether he tries to start the season or if they do it from the beginning. 

The bottom 6 in your first scenario is not great, I would prefer not to do that, but who knows. I have to assume we’ll make some kind of move. 

I’m most happy with the defense in the original scenario. If Smith can get back to what he was his first season, that’s not a bad 6. 

In regards to Bernier - he is 4.125 contracted through next year.  At a minimum he won't be ready for camp and will be LTIR'ed.  If indeed Fitzy is going to address goaltending, he is the one that is not back...  I just don't seem thrilled with any of the options 

39 minutes ago, CMONPETEYD said:

In regards to Bernier - he is 4.125 contracted through next year.  At a minimum he won't be ready for camp and will be LTIR'ed.  If indeed Fitzy is going to address goaltending, he is the one that is not back...  I just don't seem thrilled with any of the options 

Well in your second scenario you picked one of the two guys available that I would be looking to get. 

5 hours ago, Muevelos said:

I'm fine, totally fine with Wood, Johnsson, Tatar, McLeod all not being here. But that's alot of bodies to replace.

Wood is a keeper. He’s a grade A pest, with crazy speed, and 20 goal potential. There would be a ton of interest in him around the league if the Devils (foolishly) don’t re-sign him. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Wood is a keeper. He’s a grade A pest, with crazy speed, and 20 goal potential. There would be a ton of interest in him around the league if the Devils (foolishly) don’t re-sign him. 

Sure, I'm all for keeping him, if it's under $5 million a year. He does have over 300 games under his belt, we know who he is.  Solid role player and Tampa won cups because they have plenty of them throughout their lineup. So obviously the interest would be there, and on the flip side it does make him somewhat expendable to. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Muevelos said:

Sure, I'm all for keeping him, if it's under $5 million a year. He does have over 300 games under his belt, we know who he is.  Solid role player and Tampa won cups because they have plenty of them throughout their lineup. So obviously the interest would be there, and on the flip side it does make him somewhat expendable to. 

I don't really know what Wood's AAV should be. Was $3.5m in the last year. I could see him getting $5m. 

20 hours ago, CMONPETEYD said:

Realistic

Bratt - Hughes - Sharangovich

Wood - Hischier - Mercer

Tatar - Boqvist -  Zetterlund

Johnsson - McLeod - Bastian

Ex - Kuokkenen

Hamilton - Graves 

Severson - Sigenthaler

Okhotyuk - Smith

Ex - Bahl/Walsh

Blackwood

Daws

-----------------------------

That lineup makes me shudder. If we go into next season icing that I think I will cry. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

That lineup makes me shudder. If we go into next season icing that I think I will cry. 

When I say realistic, it's not what I want, but what I am expecting lol!  Years of failure and getting my expectations up leave me a little jaded

40 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Yeah we need more like him, not less. 

Needs to stay healthy, play within his role, and not take stupid penalties.

11 minutes ago, CMONPETEYD said:

He’s actually cut down on the penalties and the goalie crashing a lot since his suspension a few years ago. He had 91 PIM in 63 GP in 2019, and it’s gone down significantly per game every year since. 

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

He’s actually cut down on the penalties and the goalie crashing a lot since his suspension a few years ago. He had 91 PIM in 63 GP in 2019, and it’s gone down significantly per game every year since. 

Well - this next year for him is a make or break IMO on whether he will be with the team long term or be shown the door.  Let's hope he can repeat his play from the last year he played, unlike Zacha

2 hours ago, CMONPETEYD said:

When I say realistic, it's not what I want, but what I am expecting lol!  Years of failure and getting my expectations up leave me a little jaded

Oh I know this. I am in the same boat as you. It's just sad. 

10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I don't really know what Wood's AAV should be. Was $3.5m in the last year. I could see him getting $5m. 

Oooooffffff.  In all his healthy years he averaged ~ 25 points!  His last deal he went from 2.5M to 3.5M at a time when the cap wasn't flat and the Devils were closer to the floor. Now coming off zip, nada, nothing if he goes from 3.5 to 5 in a flat cap error they're nuts. He should get a one year prove it deal for damn near the same 3.5M.  The guy had major hip surgery and when he tried to come back he got shut down real quick.

They need his grit, they have none but they shouldn't overpay for grit and a 25 point average. That's 4th line stuff at 1.5-2M these days. 3.5 is plenty imo.

• Like 1

Ofcourse no Forsbergs&Fialas&JohnnyG because no one spend years of rebuilding and tanking for blocking their young players by huge deals who will eat cap space and roster spot. No stupidity please. 

Fiala is in a good age, but will not adress real problems of Devils, like JohnnyG. They will help but they will not fix real problems  and will cost too much. Devils have enough of talents and need support them and help them, not blocking them and add something the same. JohnnyG and Forsberg will be good on the short distance but their age isn't great for the Devils core and timeline. This is a move that will help a lot on the short distance but will hurt when devils core will going in the real prime. People can think add talent, think tomorrow, but thanks God managers are working with plan and understand how money works. Every good team in the last ten years win their cups with the own core. And Hossa's who played with the good contract. Only O'REILLY was big sign who made core impact. Thanks God we have players on that role. No Fiala/JohnnyG/Forsberg, Fitz. Be smart. Don't make stupid moves.

The only role we can spend money is a goalie. If devils want to sign free agent, it better to be Marchment, because we can sign free agents for big deals for four years maximum. Deals of Bratt, Sharangovich, Mercer, Luke, Holtz and Slaf(and Severson I believe) will eat every dollar of cap space. For now they don't need cap space, but they need roster spots. We did svck seasons for drafting and developing them. 

Ofcourse like other good teams, devils should sign better role players. Tatar, Johnsson and Zacha create some points, but were useful only when they did play with top 6 players. And they were not useful enough. And they arenot good as bottom six players. Can't really help in pk, Zacha even wasn't good in pp. Devils should replace a couple of them.

Ofcourse no lose of Mercer potential. He spend season on the level not so far from Raymond and zegras. He manage puck greatly, he read the game very fast and will play even better and better. 

Devils, if they will be managed well, are open for 4 years deals. We don't want to see devils team that locked by huge deals. Goodplayers on Elc will help a lot. And we have a lot of talented players to make impact in theirs first years. 

Ofcourse devils should  fix goalie position. And 3RD.

Sharangovich - Hughes - Mercer

Bratt- Hischier - Marchment/Zetterlund/Holtz(if he will win roster spot)

Johnsson/Marchment - Boqvist -  Zetterlund/Thompson

Wood - McLeod - Bastian

If Slafkovsky will be drafted by NJD and will show he is ready to be NHL player - it will make situation more interesting. 

I want to see a guy like Trochek to play 3rd line role, but he will got top 6 role on the market with more than 4 years deal. I would deal Zacha and Smith easily for a better defensive third line center and use Boqvist on the wing/as replacement. 

Hamilton - Graves 

Severson - Sigenthaler

Okhotyuk/Bahl - Lyubushkin(for example)

Devils could sign any defensive defenseman for 3rd pairing role. Even more they can trade Kulikov(I know he is left handed), because wild trying to find options to open cap space and trading Lulikov is one of their options. He could be a good mentor for young defensemen.

Goalies... I hope Devils will trade Lehner. I would I'm even thinking about Bobrovskiy(his trade will eventually add some assets+) and Devils will get strong starter, but, like other aged goalie, if he will not platy well, we will stuck with him for multiple years. If he will, his salary is big, but wil not effect on future deals. But I 0refer Lehner, because he is has more proves of better goaltending than Husso, and he sign for only two years. Hellybuck will cost to much for rebuilding team, and this "too much" is too much for two years service. Kuemper is good goalie, but will ask too much money for too much years for his horrible health. Everything we should know about goalies and their deals,that you can't sign aged goalie for too long, we can't stuck with a huge deal of injured goalie. This is an actual goalie experience. Ofcourse good goalies helps a lot, but oilers and hurricanes somehow play good with Smith and Raanta(who is good enough, but he isn't regular NHL starter). Even Bobrovskiy is more healthier. I know Lehner isn't the example of healthy goalie, but he sign for two years. I would trade Smith for him easily. Vegas needs cap space too. 

Lehner, Blackwood, Bernier, Daws.

Would be great to have a mentor as a good player like Giroux for 3 years, but I think he will sign with Ottawa. Guys like Nichushkin and Niederreiter will ask more than 4 years. They could be great add, but they will not be. 

Would be interesting to sign Paul for reasonable deal for the third line role. 

• Like 3

I think we're stuck with tatar this year, hopefully he gets back to 20 goals. He had flashes for us. But loads of disappearing.  Wood is sweet as a botton 6.. mcleod needs to do way more than win face offs. Hes not pulling his weight.  Holtz is a big concern to me, hopefully slav is the much better holtz. Kid has a sniper riffle.

1 hour ago, EdgeControl said:

I think we're stuck with tatar this year, hopefully he gets back to 20 goals. He had flashes for us. But loads of disappearing.  Wood is sweet as a botton 6.. mcleod needs to do way more than win face offs. Hes not pulling his weight.  Holtz is a big concern to me, hopefully slav is the much better holtz. Kid has a sniper riffle.

Slaf’s shot is nowhere near as good as Holtz’s. He’s much more of a power forward - take it to the net - type of player. 

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Slaf’s shot is nowhere near as good as Holtz’s. He’s much more of a power forward - take it to the net - type of player. 

I heard he has a laine like wrister and can beat goalies glove side. He scores plenty of his goals deep slot. Is this not true.