Kovy.

Mitico12

1 minute ago, Mitico12 said:

According to reports, Kovy is considering a comeback to hockey at age 39. Would you take him on the cheap to complete the circle?

I would. 

WHY?!

He was god-awful for most of his time here during his last NHL go-around...an absolute shell of what he was.  And now even older to boot.  The hardest of passes on this one.      

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Yup, toss him a 1 year. Too many are bitchy over this like he did us dirty. This was a handshake deal at the time and it helped the organization get out of dodge on a bad contract that we could not afford at the time.

It has nothing to do with the above, as far as I'm concerned...I always saw it as if he really didn't want to be here that badly, then it made no sense for him to stay (or for the Devils to try to make him stay).

I just see it as can he help the Devils in any possible way, given that he's 39 and that he wasn't any good the last time he decided to come back?  The answer's no. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

10 minutes ago, Mitico12 said:

I think with the right motivation, this guy still has it. One of my favorite Devils of the last 20 years. 

He doesn’t appear to have had that motivation in years. I don’t know why he would regain it here at 39. 

He was great when he was on but he fits nowhere on this roster. 

8 minutes ago, Mitico12 said:

I think with the right motivation, this guy still has it. One of my favorite Devils of the last 20 years. 

Based on what?  Motivation wasn't exactly a strong suit of his to begin with, and his skills and abilities have likely declined to the point where it doesn't even matter if he's motivated.  He hasn't been a solid NHL player in TEN YEARS, you do realize that?  He was a complete and total bust for the LA Kings:  81 GP, 19 G, 24 A, -36.  And that was four years ago.

Looks like you need a history refresher:  Why Ilya Kovalchuk was cut by Kings and where he goes from here - CBSSports.com

When I think of “great Devils”, he doesn’t make the list because he barely played here. Two full seasons and two half (one of them less than half) seasons. He had two good years and is basically a blip in our history. 

Now he’s 39, doesn’t play well, and hasn’t played in a long time. 

Forget that guy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It has nothing to do with the above, as far as I'm concerned...I always saw it as if he really didn't want to be here that badly, then it made no sense for him to stay (or for the Devils to try to make him stay).

I just see it as can he help the Devils in any possible way, given that he's 39 and that he wasn't any good the last time he decided to come back?  The answer's no. 

I’d invite him to camp and take a look at him. I don’t see where he fits but if he has something left it’s worth the camp invite. 

49 minutes ago, MB3 said:

My favorite Devil of all time, and if there's even the tiniest bit of gas left in that tank I'd love to see some bar-down snipes off of a perfectly placed Hughes pass.

Kovalchuk is your favorite Devil of all-time? Ilya Kovalchuk? You’re serious?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

ok probably slight hyperbole. marty is always 1, and jason arnott was a childhood favorite.

for the few years he was a devil i’ve never been that obsessed with an athlete. i have FOUR kovalchuk jerseys. my phone wallpaper, laptop wallpaper, posters in my dorm room were all Kovy. He was a top-3 favorite player in the league for me on Atlanta — I put the day the devils acquired him in my memory bank as a top-5 sports moment for me all time. Any sport, any moment. Fanhood isn’t always rational and doesn’t always need to be explained. 

There has never been a more dynamic player to wear a Devils jersey. Period.

Kovy’s time here was so short and he really only had one “wow” season, but yeah, not always “logical” who individual fans gravitate to.  My favorite all-time Devil is John MacLean.  It bummed me out big time when he admitted in a pre-game show that he’d asked to be dealt.  

Richer could be quite dynamic at times (though not always consistent).  Jack is on his way to becoming the most dynamic Devil, if he can stay healthy.  Last year he was a hell of a lot of fun to watch.  

• Like 1

Kovalchuk truly was something else. You really wonder how his career could have been different if he had spent more time surrounded by some talent. The guy had basically every tool you could hope for in a player.  Passing, shooting, stickhandling, playmaking - everything was elite. I wouldn't want him back at this stage, but his departure from the organization shouldn't take away from what a player he was while he was here.