Simon Nemec 2nd OA pick 2022 draft.

pumpkin cutter

10 minutes ago, MB3 said:

real story, when I was in college i went drinking around the world in Epcot. Basically each “country” has traditional drinks and they get college kids from each country to be the bartender. 

there was a smokeshow serving drinks in “germany”. i have a german friend, and asked her “how do I say “hello, you are beautiful. i’ll have whatever your favorite meal is” to her in german. she texted me a long sentence and  voiced the pronunciation. i practiced and went up to take my shot. said it in flawless german.

the girl was horrified. the other cashier stopped what she was doing and was horrified. they asked me to repeat myself, so i did… but slightly less confidently. finally she says “you don’t know what you are saying correct?” and i explained the situation and they died laughing. 

i said “you look like my mom and my mom is really hot. can i take your picture to keep in my wallet?”

i mean well played but damn. 

That’s awesome lol. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Can't read the article because its behind a paywall, but if Nemec is #4 in a list of the top 50 drafted prospects, that's pretty cool. 

We have two of the top 5. Awesome. 

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

We have two of the top 5. Awesome. 

And this is what has me optimistic that better days are not so far off.  The Devils D could finally be a real strength real soon.  

2. Luke Hughes, LHD, 18 (New Jersey Devils— No. 4, 2021)

A year ago, I put Hughes seventh on my final 2021 draft ranking and explained the reasons for it as twofold:

• He needed to find ways to get off of the perimeter in possession and create more to the middle of the ice for himself.
  • He needed to improve his man-to-man and in-zone defence.

On both fronts this season, he passed with flying colours, fully realizing his gamebreaking, star potential and finding another echelon as a prospect as a result (all while playing as the youngest defenceman in college hockey). So much so that I considered slotting him first here. A year later, he did such good job taking his game from roving around the perimeter to attacking the middle-third that he led all NCAA defencemen (regardless of age!) in scoring and points with 17 goals and 39 points, all while making significant strides in his game defensively (while often playing his off-side no less!).

He plays an effortless transition style, transporting pucks from A to B better than any D prospect on this list. He’s got the stops and starts into a burst in a different direction. He’s got the step-back into his stance before adjusting onto his toes to change pace.

He breezes through holes in the neutral zone. His skating makes him maybe the sport’s most active offensive defenceman, while helping him snuff out more and more rushes so that he can lead them back the other way and then create inside the offensive zone with his feet moving.

Add in the instinct that he developed on the attack and he’s nearly impossible to contain off the line or stop on entry at the blue line. The fluidity of his stride (which extends back fully when he’s pushing forward) and the airiness of his edgework will always define his game. They allow him to draw attention, force opposing players into puck-watching, and then open up the play for him. And while he’s still got some work to do to fill out his 6-foot-2 frame, he’s the closest thing to Cale Makar outside the NHL and a true breath of fresh air to watch.

• Like 6

4. Simon Nemec, RHD, 18 (New Jersey Devils — No. 2, 2022)

This kid turned 18 in the middle of February and he’s already registered 65 points in 112 games at a professional level as a defenceman! Nemec’s statistical profile is as strong as any draft-eligible defenceman we’ve seen in recent years — stamped by an exceptional, record-setting performance in Nitra’s playoff run and into the men’s world championships. This is a kid who has looked a class above his peers whenever he’s played with them, has excelled against NHLers on the senior stage, and is already a top player at his position in his top domestic league (albeit a difficult one to evaluate).

Nemec is a calculated and poised three-zone defender who is capable of organizing play from the top of the zone, executing through seams in coverage at a high level, and starting and leading his fair share of rushes. He’s got great edges and four-way mobility, which he uses to manipulate and steer play through intelligent routes on and off the puck.

And he also regularly flashes sneaky deception, which blends beautifully with his rare maturity for his age. Though I wouldn’t say he’s a dynamic, game-breaking type offensively, I see plenty of calmness and talent. He knows when and how to push (and when and how to sit back and defend). He’s already got pro size, he plays a polished defensive game, and he’s a righty. I expect him to become the best defenceman out of Slovakia since Zdeno Chara and a first-pairing guy who plays an effective, efficient, play-driving modern game. The game just comes easy to him, with everything happening in front of him and the ice tilted in his favour. His type of game is the direction it’s going.

• Like 6

What was it..........5 days differetn and Luke would have been in this year's draft?  

It's almost like the Devs drafted 2 and 3 this year and snatched them both.

They'll both be playing by the end of the year with the big club

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

What was it..........5 days differetn and Luke would have been in this year's draft?  

It's almost like the Devs drafted 2 and 3 this year and snatched them both.

They'll both be playing by the end of the year with the big club

Yep. But it's actually like the Devils drafted 1 and 2 of this year's draft -- if you listen to the talking heads, Luke Hughes (especially after the season he just had in Michigan, and Jack/Quinn turning into legitimate superstars doesn't hurt) would be the clear cut, easy, runaway #1 overall pick and the only debate would be "who goes second". 

Edited by MB3
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Yep. But it's actually like the Devils drafted 1 and 2 of this year's draft -- if you listen to the talking heads, Luke Hughes (especially after the season he just had in Michigan, and Jack/Quinn turning into legitimate superstars doesn't hurt) would be the clear cut, easy, runaway #1 overall pick and the only debate would be "who goes second". 

I say go get Quinn Hughes, the other Jack Hughes, and Jack Quinn, and collect those b!tches like Infinity Stones. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I say go get Quinn Hughes, the other Jack Hughes, and Jack Quinn, and collect those b!tches like Infinity Stones. 

I made this last year lol

image.thumb.png.9baa79e5795ef14830727dc034f44872.png

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Add in the instinct that he developed on the attack and he’s nearly impossible to contain off the line or stop on entry at the blue line. The fluidity of his stride (which extends back fully when he’s pushing forward) and the airiness of his edgework will always define his game. They allow him to draw attention, force opposing players into puck-watching, and then open up the play for him. And while he’s still got some work to do to fill out his 6-foot-2 frame, he’s the closest thing to Cale Makar outside the NHL and a true breath of fresh air to watch.

fvcking what? That is a pretty awesome comparison to hear. Lock em up Fitzy. ESPECIALLY after seeing the playoffs that Makar had. 

He’s already got pro size, he plays a polished defensive game, and he’s a righty. I expect him to become the best defenceman out of Slovakia since Zdeno Chara and a first-pairing guy who plays an effective, efficient, play-driving modern game. The game just comes easy to him, with everything happening in front of him and the ice tilted in his favour. His type of game is the direction it’s going.

Let's GOOOO

Edited by RizzMB30

8 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Can't read the article because its behind a paywall, but if Nemec is #4 in a list of the top 50 drafted prospects, that's pretty cool. 

Wheeler is really bad, but yeah. Two top 5 picks from two past drafts are very good prospects. I'm happy to have them because what they actually are, not because mister Wheeler likes them. 

Devils have top 5 u-23 players pool. I don't know may be Buffalo and LA are better, may be not. I just hope everything will clicking and Fitz will add what we have lack of. Nemec is a great add - in talent and need. Can't wait to see him in training camp. Don't think he is nhl ready, I think it is not even close, but want to see his good sides in preseason. I like what I saw from ahl guys after one year with Dineen and Co. And he has opportunity to play against best ahl players with Bahl or Okhotiuk, his potential future partners. 

That is sad I think I have no opportunity to buy ahl TV this season. It really make me sad. 

I heard someone compare Nemec to Adam Fox, and I would say that's probably the best comparison I've heard so far. Incredibly smart player, responsible defensively, and high end offensive talent without being overly flashy. I think that's the kind of projection we can hope for with Nemec.

Is Nemec the organization's top prospect? I know that the article lists him behind Luke, but I'm curious what the general consensus is. Obviously Luke's upside is just huge, but there are so many things to like about Nemec's game, that I just can't decide.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nessus said:

I heard someone compare Nemec to Adam Fox, and I would say that's probably the best comparison I've heard so far. Incredibly smart player, responsible defensively, and high end offensive talent without being overly flashy. I think that's the kind of projection we can hope for with Nemec.

Is Nemec the organization's top prospect? I know that the article lists him behind Luke, but I'm curious what the general consensus is. Obviously Luke's upside is just huge, but there are so many things to like about Nemec's game, that I just can't decide.

I guess wheeler is basing it more on who is a gamebraker, and that is probably Hughes. I would say they are pretty equal. Both have some deficiencies to their game. I guess whoever figures those out first wins. Hughes dynamic offense is always going to stand out though.