Devils Trade with Washington for Goalie Vitek Vanacek (37th and 70th picks)

DevilMinder

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Seems solidly average based on his numbers, but that’s about what was available, and the Devils couldn’t go into next season with goalie status quo.  I like the move. 

And they might not be done. Solid insurance move and if Fitz is still going to try for either Campbell or Kuemper, that could be the end of Blackwood here. But it seems like once Husso was off the board Fitz pulled the trigger on this one. 

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Seems solidly average based on his numbers, but that’s about what was available, and the Devils couldn’t go into next season with goalie status quo.  I like the move. 

.908 career sv% compared to Husso’s .912. But Vanecek has played in more games, and is a year younger. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Husso to Detroit for a 3rd Rounder

Sheesh

Seeing now that Husso is a pending UFA?  Guess that probably limits the return for detroit.

Oh wow there's an extension already done, 3x 4.75 AAV.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

.908 career sv% compared to Husso’s .912. But Vanecek has played in more games, and is a year younger. 

Goalies are such a coin toss. I would hope goalie scouting is evolving a little bit, but I tend to lean towards durability and endurance as huge factors. If you have a Vasilevskiy, but doesn't start 80% of the time due to injury, it's simply not the same player. 

Blackwood seems to get hurt a lot even without COVID protocols. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I saw this one on there. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265479820985

That isn't coming up in my searches at all, I wonder why that is. What did you search for, all I did was "vanacek puck" which should have caught it. 

In any event, the seller is away and it cannot be purchased, but I watchlisted it. I think its still on the expensive side, but I do like those draft year pucks. 

Thanks!

Edited by mfitz804

Just now, mfitz804 said:

That isn't coming up in my searches at all, I wonder why that is. 

In any event, the seller is away and it cannot be purchased, but I watchlisted it. I think its still on the expensive side, but I do like those draft year pucks. 

Yeah, I googled Vanecek signed puck and that was one of the top results, but on eBay it didn’t come up. Weird. I was actually looking to see if there was any Czech pucks singed (which might be kinda cool looking in a display) but I didn’t see any. 

Vanecek had a save% of .921 through his first 27 GP this year…maybe he finds a way to do that over a full season (or at least come close).

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

I am alright with this trade.  Vanacek is already a galaxy better than Hammond and Gillies so there is that.  With Bernier's return still questionable for this season this is at least a decent backup option.

I think he’ll have a solid shot at being the starter. Should be some really good competition at goal in camp. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I think he’ll have a solid shot at being the starter. Should be some really good competition at goal in camp. 

I think there's a good chance the situation with be Blackwood and him being 1A and 1B.

It's sad that Bernier only played a handful of games for us before he got an injury that looks more and more like it will be career-ending.

4 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I think there's a good chance the situation with be Blackwood and him being 1A and 1B.

It's sad that Bernier only played a handful of games for us before he got an injury that looks more and more like it will be career-ending.

Fitz was able to bring a pick back too which doesn't weaken us in this draft. 

Just now, Nicomo said:

Our last trade with the Caps worked out pretty well. 

I’m drawing a total blank…which deal? MoJo is the one that comes to mind, but I know that’s not the one you’re referring to.

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Siegenthaler 

Yep knew it was something obvious that I was missing.