Devils Trade with Washington for Goalie Vitek Vanacek (37th and 70th picks)

DevilMinder

I didn't want Husso, so I guess this isn't so bad. I just think the goalie situation across the entire league the last few years is SUPER underwhelming. 

I feel like Vasi and Shesterkin are the only true differences makers in net, at least from a consistency standpoint (obviously Igor only has a year under his belt). So many goalies in the league seem to be up/down every other year and are the epitome of second-tier/average goalies. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Puckbuster said:

Two young goalies competing for the number 1 spot. I’m ok with it.  

There’s potential for a solid tandem…maybe not great, but solid would be a nice step forward for sure.  At the very least, Fitz didn’t fully roll the dice on what he already had in house.  

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

if blackwood returns to form we’re a playoff team. if this kid can post a save % that starts 9, we’re a playoff team 

Just need a healthy Jack & Nico, and a nice bounce back from Dougie, and they’re probably right there. 

9 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

Two young goalies competing for the number 1 spot. I’m ok with it.  

There’s potential for a solid tandem…maybe not great, but solid would be a nice step forward for sure.  At the very least, Fitz didn’t fully roll the dice on what he already had in house.  These guys (if healthy) could be in the .910 - .915 range combined.

25 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

There’s potential for a solid tandem…maybe not great, but solid would be a nice step forward for sure.  At the very least, Fitz didn’t fully roll the dice on what he already had in house.  These guys (if healthy) could be in the .910 - .915 range combined.

A new Nass-less defensive system can only help

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The way I see it, some of the names thrown around in here a goalies in their 30s that will be getting pay raises.  The Devils have a 25 and 26 year old going into their prime.  I don’t see the value in chasing a foaling they will have to pay and might need hip surgery.  I like what they have as a goalie tandem and hope they go for a power forward.

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah, I googled Vanecek signed puck and that was one of the top results, but on eBay it didn’t come up. Weird. I was actually looking to see if there was any Czech pucks singed (which might be kinda cool looking in a display) but I didn’t see any. 

I think it’s not coming up on eBay because the seller has it marked on vacation, and you cannot buy it in their absence. 

I just got my eBay Bucks certificate too so I am on this one. Thanks !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I think there's a good chance the situation with be Blackwood and him being 1A and 1B.

I think there is a very good chance they are looking at those two on equal footing and then one performing better and getting a few extra starts over the other. 

There are a lot of people also saying this is a backup move just in case we can’t get Campbell or Kuemper, and I’m not sure that’s what this is. This may be the move we make at goalie. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 8:02 PM, mfitz804 said:

I just looked at the list of free agent goalies that are available, and there are EIGHT former or current Devils goalies on that list. 

Couple of names I might look at depending on price, Vanecek and Husso in particular. 

just quoting myself from April. I thought Vanecek was a UFA at the time, but he was on my list. 

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

just quoting myself from April. I thought Vanecek was a UFA at the time, but he was on my list. 

Looks like those 2 you named were on Fitz list too. He made the trade for Vanecek pretty much as soon as the Husso deal went through

17 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Looks like those 2 you named were on Fitz list too. He made the trade for Vanecek pretty much as soon as the Husso deal went through

I mean I'm not SAYING I am related to THAT Fitz, but I could be...

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I think there is a very good chance they are looking at those two on equal footing and then one performing better and getting a few extra starts over the other. 

There are a lot of people also saying this is a backup move just in case we can’t get Campbell or Kuemper, and I’m not sure that’s what this is. This may be the move we make at goalie. 

Yeah I think that Blackwood and Vanecek are the guys.  I’d be very surprised if Fitz brought in another goalie. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I think that Blackwood and Vanecek are the guys.  I’d be very surprised if Fitz brought in another goalie. 

I think Fitz is ok with this but might still kick the tires on Campbell or Kuemper, just to see. If he feels he can get one of them on a reasonable deal and trade Blackwood he might go for it. But otherwise…

Vanecek

Blackwood 

Daws as the injury fill in guy  

Bernier (??) 

i think that’s safe enough. There’s really no room for another AAAA guy like Wedge was last year or anything. Bernier would pass waivers, no one is touching that contract if he comes back from injury 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I think Fitz is ok with this but might still kick the tires on Campbell or Kuemper, just to see. If he feels he can get one of them on a reasonable deal and trade Blackwood he might go for it. But otherwise…

Vanecek

Blackwood 

Daws as the injury fill in guy  

Bernier (??) 

i think that’s safe enough. There’s really no room for another AAAA guy like Wedge was last year or anything. Bernier would pass waivers, no one is touching that contract if he comes back from injury 

One catch re:  Kuemper is that he’s entering his Age 32 season.  But the guy is a pretty good puckstopper most seasons. 

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

One catch re:  Kuemper is that he’s entering his Age 32 season.  But the guy is a pretty good puckstopper most seasons. 

Yeah that’s why I like the Vanecek trade so much. It gives Fitz options. He doesn’t have to give a 30 or 32 year old a 6-7 year deal now.