Restricted/Unrestricted Free Agency: Reality vs Dream

grcenter47

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

One of the bigger media guys (I think it was Dreger or Weekes IIRC) tweeted it out.  They tend to be more right than wrong plus these things tend to get out a lot at the draft as you can literally see the teams go around trying to make a trade.

Plus this is the not the first time Fitz got caught with his pants down.

It was LeBrun and I wouldn't put any of them above stirring the sh!t for the sake of attention and clicks. It doesn't exactly take a massive leap of faith to say that NJ's guy was Slaf and they took the next best pick.

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

One of the bigger media guys (I think it was Dreger or Weekes IIRC) tweeted it out.  They tend to be more right than wrong plus these things tend to get out a lot at the draft as you can literally see the teams go around trying to make a trade.

Plus this is the not the first time Fitz got caught with his pants down.

But you don't know if that was a list ditch effort to get Tkachuk after previously having tried, or someone else. There's no way he sat there thinking "we'll just have one Slaf please" when all of the media reports were that Montreal was taking him. As with my comment above, I get that you don't like the guy, but I can't imagine any GM doing that and not having a second choice ready. They would definitely not keep their job if they did that. 

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

It was LeBrun and I wouldn't put any of them above stirring the sh!t for the sake of attention and clicks. It doesn't exactly take a massive leap of faith to say that NJ's guy was Slaf and they took the next best pick.

Devils targeting Slaf is not the news there.  It is that when Slaf was taken that NJ was scrambling in that 3 minute timeframe to trade that pick.  The Devils did indeed get their 2nd ranked guy on their list but it looks like they would have preferred it if they were able to trade it (so did I).  The fact that they were caught off-guard and didn't plan for this contingency seems amateur-hour and they passed up on trading for DeBrincat who went to the Sens for magic beans.

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Right, like they didn't forget to have a second choice when picking second in the draft. That's not possible. Nemec was their second pick, and they picked him. Whether that also involved an attempt to trade the pick or not. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

But you don't know if that was a list ditch effort to get Tkachuk after previously having tried, or someone else. There's no way he sat there thinking "we'll just have one Slaf please" when all of the media reports were that Montreal was taking him. As with my comment above, I get that you don't like the guy, but I can't imagine any GM doing that and not having a second choice ready. They would definitely not keep their job if they did that. 

Gaudreau reportedly has had a deal on the table for him for a couple weeks now.  He hasn't signed it and Calgary probably can't fit both him and Tkachuk under their cap.  It seemed very likely Gaudreau is going to UFA and Tkachuk was staying put.  Fitz's plan rested on all the dominos falling the right way.

GM's job depends on what the owners think of them.  if the owners see Fitz as going along with their plans to keep overhead costs low and being fine with fielding a team that misses the playoffs by 38 points then Fitz probably has a secure job.  These are the same owners who didn't hire Laviolette, their #1 choice 2 seasons ago, simply because of cost so they went with their cheaper option.  This is for a position that 1) doesn't go towards cap and 2) paid by guys who are worth over $5B.

4 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Pretty much.  He scrambled to trade the 2OA for Tkachuk and Calgary wouldn't budge, so they went with a guy who probably would have been there at #5 or 6.

If he panicked he would have just taken the obvious pick with Wright. He had already been turned down for the #2 before the draft. It was reported that Calgary wasn’t interested in trading Tkachuk. Nemec would not have made it past Seattle at 4. They were supposedly very high on him. 

I dislike a lot of what Fitz has done (and not done) but to think he had no idea Montreal might take Slaf while half of the hockey media was saying it was likely is just ridiculous. You went nuts about not taking Makar in 2017 and instead taking Nico because “We just took who we were supposed to” and now the reverse happens and once again you don’t like the move. Why does it make sense in retrospect but not in actual practice?  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Right, like they didn't forget to have a second choice when picking second in the draft. That's not possible. Nemec was their second pick, and they picked him. Whether that also involved an attempt to trade the pick or not. 

I would say that given the reaction, Devils probably would have rather had Tkachuk or Slaf with their pick.  Nemec was not their plan A or B, but C.

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

I would say that given the reaction, Devils probably would have rather had Tkachuk or Slaf with their pick.  Nemec was not their plan A or B, but C.

So they didn’t have a plan, or this was their 3rd option if Slaf and Tkachuk didn’t work out? Which is it?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bobilly45 said:

We won't go anywhere as long as blackwood or Ruff are here.

Hes barely an avg goalie, and very injury prone.  Groin injuries for butterfly goalies are the kiss of death (ask cory, dipietro,and that's just the local list)

They are. Thank goodness it was his heel then. And considering you spent years saying Kinkaid was an NHL goalie, I don’t know if your take on Blackwoods ceiling has much merit. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

If he panicked he would have just taken the obvious pick with Wright. He had already been turned down for the #2 before the draft. It was reported that Calgary wasn’t interested in trading Tkachuk. Nemec would not have made it past Seattle at 4. They were supposedly very high on him. 

I dislike a lot of what Fitz has done (and not done) but to think he had no idea Montreal might take Slaf while half of the hockey media was saying it was likely is just ridiculous. You went nuts about not taking Makar in 2017 and instead taking Nico because “We just took who we were supposed to” and now the reverse happens and once again you don’t like the move. Why does it make sense in retrospect but not in actual practice?  

Devils wanted Slaf or Tkachuk.  That was their plan A and B.  They went with Nemec as their plan C and one they probably didn't want to go with.

Hockey media reported that Montreal management and ownership had a long meeting with Slaf the morning of the draft that they didn't have with Wright.  I am not saying that Fitz should be a mind reader, but he should at least sit and think for a second what that could mean.

I hope Nemec proves me wrong and turns into Makar 2.0.  However, it doesn't give me much confidence in Fitz that he had to go to plan C (and in a hurry) yet again.

4 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Now you are contradicting yourself. You may not have liked the plans, but he had three of them. 

• Like 1

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

Devils wanted Slaf or Tkachuk.  That was their plan A and B.  They went with Nemec as their plan C and one they probably didn't want to go with.

Hockey media reported that Montreal management and ownership had a long meeting with Slaf the morning of the draft that they didn't have with Wright.  I am not saying that Fitz should be a mind reader, but he should at least sit and think for a second what that could mean.

I hope Nemec proves me wrong and turns into Makar 2.0.  However, it doesn't give me much confidence in Fitz that he had to go to plan C (and in a hurry) yet again.

Again… where do you come up with that Fitz didn’t know Slaf might go first?!? Fitz just didn’t notice that half of hockey was talking about Slaf meeting with Habs ownership? It was like 12 hours before the draft 

2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

So they didn’t have a plan, or this was their 3rd option if Slaf and Tkachuk didn’t work out? Which is it?

It was a hastily put together plan C.  It was a plan he didn't want to make and seemingly didn't think he would have to do but he was forced to.

Again, I am hating the fact that Fitz's plans all seem to involve a bunch of dominos all falling the right way to work.  The fact that Fitz was reportedly scrambling to off-load the pick for Nemec means that Nemec wasn't a pick he wanted to make.

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Now you are contradicting yourself. You may not have liked the plans, but he had three of them. 

He had plan A.  Plan B was poorly thought out.  He had to do plan C which he didn't want to do.

Most good GM's likely never have to go to plan C.  Most GM's don't get caught flat-footed like Fitz does when a rival team trades up and takes the player you want to take like in 2020 or trading for a player he didn't know was injured.

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Again… where do you come up with that Fitz didn’t know Slaf might go first?!? Fitz just didn’t notice that half of hockey was talking about Slaf meeting with Habs ownership? It was like 12 hours before the draft 

Fitz scrambling in those 3 minutes that the Devils are on the clock to make a trade with Calgary gives me some indication.

Fitz probably should have hedged his bets by going with DeBrincat since he was given away for the 7th overall pick.  Instead he tried to swing for the fences and got burned twice within a 3 minute timespan.  How is that good GMing?  Why does all of his plans involve everything falling into his lap perfectly to work?  Right now we are literally hoping and praying one of the better UFA signs here otherwise we are icing largely the same team as last season.

All Lebrun reportedly said was a source told him the Devils considered trading the pick once Slaf was gone but they didn't have time. That could simply mean taking a inventory of all the options and deciding to go with taking the next best guy on the board. The only people that are spinning it to say that Fitz didn't have any plan, the team panicked, he didn't know what to do are fans that are reaching for any attempt to make him seem incompetent.

Even Kent Hughes probably checked with the intern answering the phone at the table before he went to the podium to make sure someone wasn't offering him and arm and a leg for that spot.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

He had plan A.  Plan B was poorly thought out.  He had to do plan C which he didn't want to do.

Most good GM's likely never have to go to plan C.  Most GM's don't get caught flat-footed like Fitz does when a rival team trades up and takes the player you want to take like in 2020 or trading for a player he didn't know was injured.

Why do you say Plan B was poorly thought out?

6 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

All Lebrun reportedly said was a source told him the Devils considered trading the pick once Slaf was gone but they didn't have time. That could simply mean taking a inventory of all the options and deciding to go with taking the next best guy on the board. The only people that are spinning it to say that Fitz didn't have any plan, the team panicked, he didn't know what to do are fans that are reaching for any attempt to make him seem incompetent.

Even Kent Hughes probably checked with the intern answering the phone at the table before he went to the podium to make sure someone wasn't offering him and arm and a leg for that spot.

I can see this. Slaf gets taken, Fitz spends 3 minutes double checking to see if CGY is still a no then goes Nemec.

Him being caught off guard a few times does lend credence to the idea that he didn't have any contingency though

6 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Fitz scrambling in those 3 minutes that the Devils are on the clock to make a trade with Calgary gives me some indication.

Fitz probably should have hedged his bets by going with DeBrincat since he was given away for the 7th overall pick.  Instead he tried to swing for the fences and got burned twice within a 3 minute timespan.  How is that good GMing?  Why does all of his plans involve everything falling into his lap perfectly to work?  Right now we are literally hoping and praying one of the better UFA signs here otherwise we are icing largely the same team as last season.

When did he scramble in the 3 minutes? Again, you’re just throwing that out like fact. Is there video of him running around looking for a trade? The Devils were walking up to the podium when Kent Hughes was still being interviewed on the floor. Did they say he looked for a trade because he checked to see if AZ or Seattle wanted to overpay for Wright? That would have been a good thing to check on  

You said he had no plan which is speculation, then that this was plan C. And then you pivoted to “most GM’s dont go to plan C” How does anyone know what plan GM’s go to?