2022 Free Agency thread

MadDog2020

More and more I get the feeling he’s coming here.  Seems like Fletcher realizes that the price to clear space AND sign JG is just too steep…great for backpage fodder, but really won’t propel things forward…the Flyers NEED next year’s first-rounder.  Guess the Isles could get in there, but the Devils could obviously offer more.  Feels like it will come down to “I still get to come home, and I get the kind of money I would’ve preferred from the Flyers, but there’s good young talent on the Devils…about as close to a full win as I’m going to get.”

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m confused, are you saying they need their first rounder to be a higher pick so they don’t want to be good this year? 

This kind of falls into the same type of though as the, let’s not sign JG talk because there’s a chance the contract could look bad in 5 years…. Or what if he only produces 70ish points conversation. Ridiculous 

Edited by 2ELIAS6

1 minute ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

This kind of falls into the same type of though as the, let’s not sign JG talk because there’s a chance the contract could look bad in 5 years…. Or what if he only produces 70ish points conversation. Ridiculous 

Yeah, I have to say if we get 3 years of 100+ point JG and then he scores “only” 70 points a season, we’ll have gotten what we paid for. 

18 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m confused, are you saying they need their first rounder to be a higher pick so they don’t want to be good this year? 

Buffalo wanted Philly’s first in 2023 to take the Van Reimsdyk contract, which would have given Philly cap room for Gaudreau. They weren’t winning to give it up and tried to offer the 2024 one they got from Florida. Buffalo said go poop in a hat. 

Count me as one who is really weary about giving a 29 year old (at start of season), 5'-7" winger 10+ million, and yes, considering the age of guys like Nico, both Hughes and Bratt, I'm concerned about what this contract will look like in 5 years.   I guess the positive side of this is that we're in about the 4th year of a flat cap and with inflation and new TV contracts, the cap should go up significantly at some point soon, but that's just my assumption.    

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah, I have to say if we get 3 years of 100+ point JG and then he scores “only” 70 points a season, we’ll have gotten what we paid for. 

He's had one 100+ point season in his entire career.   If he signs, I hope I'm wrong but no way we're getting 3.    

Edited by Lateralous

13 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Buffalo wanted Philly’s first in 2023 to take the Van Reimsdyk contract, which would have given Philly cap room for Gaudreau. They weren’t winning to give it up and tried to offer the 2024 one they got from Florida. Buffalo said go poop in a hat. 

Oh, OK. Got it.

37 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

No, more that they can't take the risk that using that pick in any trade to clear space to sign Gaudreau...even with Gaudreau, the Flyers could easily be lottery-pick team again next year...they're that bad.  And there's some serious talent at the top end of the 2023 draft.  I'm more saying they will probably suck even with Gaudreau...they're not in the position to make a "right now final piece" kind of move, at all.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Which is kind of funny because it sort of acknowledges that even with JG, they think they will be so significantly worse than the Panthers, that the difference between picks will be substantial.    

10 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Count me as one who is really weary about giving a 29 year old (at start of season), 5'-7" winger 10+ million, and yes, considering the age of guys like Nico, both Hughes and Bratt, I'm concerned about what this contract will look like in 5 years.   I guess the positive side of this is that we're in about the 4th year of a flat cap and with inflation and new TV contracts, the cap should go up significantly at some point soon, but that's just my assumption.    

He's had one 100+ point season in his entire career.   If he signs, I hope I'm wrong but no way we're getting 3.    

What this deal would do is open up (what I think, anyway) is a 4-5 year window to try to win a Cup...Hamilton's and Gaudreau's clocks would be ticking.  And that means the Devils shift from "Be patient, we're building a team for the future" to "BAM, the future is RIGHT NOW!"  You'll effectively have a core of Hughes, Bratt, JG, Hamilton, and Hischier locked up for that entire window.  You'll also have young cost-controlled cheap kids sprinkled in.  But Fitz will still have more work to do for sure.      

• Like 1

Does signing JG mean we most likely won't sign Bratt even though we have the cap to? I mean.. a core of Hughes (both) Bratt, Hamilton and JG for years to come is nasty. JG is a career PPG hopefully he'll keep it up. Having Nemec, L Hughes, Muka and Okytuk( spelt wrong ) is great on the back end. I Believe we are sincerely a true starting goalie away from the playoffs. Let's get this done. 

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

What this deal would do is open up (what I think, anyway) is a 4-5 year window to try to win a Cup...Hamilton's and Gaudreau's clocks would be ticking.  And that means the Devils shift from "Be patient, we're building a team for the future" to "BAM, the future is RIGHT NOW!"  You'll effectively have a core of Hughes, Bratt, JG, Hamilton, and Hischier locked up for that entire window.  You'll also have young cost-controlled cheap kids sprinkled in.  But Fitz will still have more work to do for sure.      

I'm pretty optimistic about what Fitz has been building here but I just don't see this addition the way Marian Hossa put the Blackhawks young core over the top.   This feels much more like a Toronto move to fast forward the build than Colorado who was patient and didn't really pop until Landeskog and MacKinnon were in their 9th and 7th years respectively.   Again, I hope I'm wrong but there's a good chance that JG goes back to his career norm of 70+ point seasons for the first 3 and then starts dropping from there.     

1 minute ago, Muevelos said:

Does signing JG mean we most likely won't sign Bratt even though we have the cap to? I mean.. a core of Hughes (both) Bratt, Hamilton and JG for years to come is nasty. JG is a career PPG hopefully he'll keep it up. Having Nemec, L Hughes, Muka and Okytuk( spelt wrong ) is great on the back end. I Believe we are sincerely a true starting goalie away from the playoffs. Let's get this done. 

I still think they re-sign Bratt.  Feels like a given (even if it takes a little time).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

I'm pretty optimistic about what Fitz has been building here but I just don't see this addition the way Marian Hossa put the Blackhawks young core over the top.   This feels much more like a Toronto move to fast forward the build than Colorado who was patient and didn't really pop until Landeskog and MacKinnon were in their 9th and 7th years respectively.   Again, I hope I'm wrong but there's a good chance that JG goes back to his career norm of 70+ point seasons for the first 3 and then starts dropping from there.     

Yeah it could very well become an entertaining “Good regular season team that gets bounced in the first or second round” kind of team if JG isn’t putting up PPG-or-better seasons.  Like I said, Fitz will still have more work to do.  And the cheap kids that will (temporarily) allow the Devils to be a little top-heavy cap-wise will have to produce well beyond their ELCs.

I’m more saying that if you sign JG, then it has to be about right now…makes no sense to make this move otherwise.

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah it could very well become an entertaining “Good regular season team that gets bounced in the first or second round” kind of team if JG isn’t putting up PPG-or-better seasons.  Like I said, Fitz will still have more work to do.  And the cheap kids that will (temporarily) allow the Devils to be a little top-heavy cap-wise will have to produce well beyond their ELCs.

I’m more saying that if you sign JG, then it has to be about right now…makes no sense to make this move otherwise.

I think you perfectly summed up why I'm weary

10 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Again, I hope I'm wrong but there's a good chance that JG goes back to his career norm of 70+ point seasons for the first 3 and then starts dropping from there.     

I don’t understand where the narrative comes from that he is a 70+ point player. He’s PPG for his career, and he’s had 80+ points 3 out of 8 years, and played on an 80+ pace during the Covid shortened season.