2022 Free Agency thread

MadDog2020

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

Well let's just say that you were 100% right about that. How 'bout that.

At least then you can't blame Fitz for failing at signing a player who didn't want to be there.

Offered more money, was closer to home, everything. Literally not Fitz fault. Can we shake on that?

I am not going to fault Fitz for not signing Gaudreau.

What I am faulting him for was putting all his eggs in that basket of signing him.  If he’s able to pry away Laine from Columbus now I’ll happily eat sh!t, but I’m not holding my breath.

I mean... out of all teams involved. We're in the best shape emotionally or should be.

Calgary lost their top guy for nothing.

Philly couldn't get their sh!t together to sign a top player who wanted to go there.

The Islanders who NEEDED him now cause they are in a win-now window with a win-now GM.

Most of our most important players are not even in the NHL yet, we're still a work in progress, it's fine. It's frustrating not to get him but it's hurting other teams more not getting him

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

We literally signed the biggest FA last year. Dumbass

Did Dougie get other offers?  And if so, were they more?  I have legit not heard either.

Its also discouraging when we offer more and are geographically closer to his home and we still lose out.  That’s a pretty troubling sign.  If we were the only ones or the highest ones on Dougie, is that the only way we can get a free agent?

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

I mean... out of all teams involved. We're in the best shape emotionally or should be.

Calgary lost their top guy for nothing.

Philly couldn't get their sh!t together to sign a top player who wanted to go there.

The Islanders who NEEDED him now cause they are in a win-now window with a win-now GM.

Most of our most important players are not even in the NHL yet, we're still a work in progress, it's fine. It's frustrating not to get him but it's hurting other teams more not getting him

You're not wrong, but that doesn't make this sting less.

I'm just... tired of losing, man.

Do not I repeat do no do any overpay trades and or signings, this stings a little, but the team is still in a great spot no matter how many of their fans are in a pissy mood.

Call up the Blues, Tarasenko still wants out, this is his last year, he is my first target.

I think Palat could be a very good sign, but the price has to be right in terms of years, do not give this guy more than 4 years, he is a great team guy, he could really help this group of forwards, but at the right term only.

I am not a huge Neiderreiter fan, but with Nico I would consider him if the cost was 5 or less for 3 years.

If Tkachuk wants to be traded you have the discussions, but if it costs more than Holtz and a first, plus one of the lesser young D, I am out.

If the worst thing that happens is they go to war with the roster as it currently is, that's still better than making a mistake and signing a bad contract or a bad trade.

I believe in Holtz, I believe in Zetterlund I would like a veteran forward signed for experience and leadership, but it won't break the team if it does not happen.

• Like 1

Just now, CarpathianForest said:

I agree but the sports media loves that narrative 

He also turned down even more money to stay in CGY. This makes no sense from any of the info we were fed by the media for weeks. All it signals to me is JG has reasons we don't know about or he is just another kid the NJ public education system failed.

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

Did Dougie get other offers?  And if so, were they more?  I have legit not heard either.

Its also discouraging when we offer more and are geographically closer to his home and we still lose out.  That’s a pretty troubling sign.  If we were the only ones or the highest ones on Dougie, is that the only way we can get a free agent?

Dougie could have come here for Ryane Clowe reasons, the money was right

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

He also turned down even more money to stay in CGY. This makes no sense from any of the info we were fed by the media for weeks. All it signals to me is JG has reasons we don't know about or he is just another kid the NJ public education system failed.

Hey! Don't blame public education! We teachers bust our asses to educate a group that is only interested in fighting and playing video games!

• Like 1

Just now, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

Do not I repeat do no do any overpay trades and or signings, this stings a little, but the team is still in a great spot no matter how many of their fans are in a pissy mood.

Call up the Blues, Tarasenko still wants out, this is his last year, he is my first target.

I think Palat could be a very good sign, but the price has to be right in terms of years, do not give this guy more than 4 years, he is a great team guy, he could really help this group of forwards, but at the right term only.

I am not a huge Neiderreiter fan, but with Nico I would consider him if the cost was 5 or less for 3 years.

If Tkachuk wants to be traded you have the discussions, but if it costs more than Holtz and a first, plus one of the lesser young D, I am out.

If the worst thing that happens is they go to war with the roster as it currently is, that's still better than making a mistake and signing a bad contract or a bad trade.

I believe in Holtz, I believe in Zetterlund I would like a veteran forward signed for experience and leadership, but it won't break the team if it does not happen.

I would absolutely trade Holtz + our 2023 first (top 2 protected) + Thompson + Foote or wtv for Tkachuk. I'm still not sold on Holtz at all

But you're right. Free agency is where the biggest mistakes are made. And i said this many times. Gaudreau wasn't the perfect player we should get. He was the best we could just sign... but a smaller winger is not ideal for our top line. So debrincat and him were not the ideal solution for long-term success.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

I agree but the sports media loves that narrative 

That’s because they don’t like us. When we were winning, we were ‘destroying hockey’. fvck ‘em.

Edited by MadDog2020