2022 Free Agency thread

MadDog2020

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

Either Fitz really screwed the pooch or Gaudreau didn’t want to go home badly enough to play for a Flyers rival. I can’t say I’m giving Fitz or our owners the benefit of the doubt at this point though.

I don’t think an adult player cares about that stuff. Most pros who are interviewed about things like that say they become a fan of whoever pays them. Maybe Johnny really believes the Devils are going nowhere and Columbus has a future. And I hope that within the next 7 years, the Devils absolutely paste Columbus in the playoffs on the way to a cup 

Just now, Jerrydevil said:

Is this signing the biggest red flag on Laine or what? Good luck trading him, Columbus.

Word on another forum is that Laine wants to play on a west coast team..Laine worries me because he kinda seems meh about playing hockey and if that's the case are you gonna get a player who wants to do their best?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NJD16W said:

I have a bad feeling we will end up with Palat. Have to listen to the he's gonna teach these young guys how to win BS. He'll get 40 points per year at 6 million plus per season. 

Don’t worry about that, Lou will overpay for him and some other division team will trade for Thackuk and we’ll pat ourselves on the back for another offseason of avoiding bad contracts before another 8th place finish

Also... imagine you're 28.

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

That’s because they don’t like us. When we were winning, we were ‘destroying hockey’. fvck ‘em.

Now it's the Islanders playing boring hockey and nobody in the media appears to want to acknowledge that. It should be easy to make the connection considering Lou is there. 

But nope. 

Edited by SterioDesign

Some need to relax, first Fitz didn't screw any pooch, he offered NORTH of 10mill for JG, he simply did not want to come here. Whatever. His loss. And we have no idea if Fitz put all his eggs in that basket, so unless some are of you are Fit'z mistress relax, we know nothing truly. This was probably a blessing in disguise for us. As long as we don't overdo it for one dimensional Laine we're good.

Edited by Muevelos
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

Word on another forum is that Laine wants to play on a west coast team..Laine worries me because he kinda seems meh about playing hockey and if that's the case are you gonna get a player who wants to do their best?

There was a time when I was gung ho on getting him to play on Hughes’ line. Not so much anymore.

Edited by Jerrydevil

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Don’t worry about that, Lou will overpay for him and some other division team will trade for Thackuk and we’ll pat ourselves on the back for another offseason of avoiding bad contracts before another 8th place finish

I hear next year's draft class is pretty good

Just now, SterioDesign said:

Also... imagine you're 28.

Now it's the Islanders playing boring hockey and nobody in the media appears to want to acknowledge that

Half the league plays the trap now. When one of the league darlings or oRiGiNaL 6 does it, it’s “good defensive hockey”

We don't know all the details yet but this is totally not acceptable that Gaudreau didn't sign with the Devils and goes to Columbus.

I'd like to hear why specifically from him. From other players that have rebuffed us, so the franchise and the state itself can get to fixing these issues. I mean we offered more money, he's from here, we do have very good young talent, NYC is right here. And he picks Columbus

How does this happen? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I would absolutely trade Holtz + our 2023 first (top 2 protected) + Thompson + Foote or wtv for Tkachuk. I'm still not sold on Holtz at all

But you're right. Free agency is where the biggest mistakes are made. And i said this many times. Gaudreau wasn't the perfect player we should get. He was the best we could just sign... but a smaller winger is not ideal for our top line. So debrincat and him were not the ideal solution for long-term success.

I don't understand why so many folks are down on Holtz, he had a great rookie season in the AH.

I know he did not have a good showing in his NHL games, but this was his first season on a smaller ice surface, no one says he's not a hard working kid, I think he is going to be a very good goal scorer.

Just now, '7' said:

We don't know all the details yet but this is totally not acceptable that Gaudreau didn't sign with the Devils and goes to Columbus.

I'd like to hear why specifically from him. From other players that have rebuffed us, so the franchise and the state itself can get to fixing these issues. I mean we offered more money, he's from here, we do have very good young talent, NYC is right here. And he picks Columbus

How does this happen? 

He doesn't owe us a goddamn thing

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

I don't understand why so many folks are down on Holtz, he had a great rookie season in the AH.

I know he did not have a good showing in his NHL games, but this was his first season on a smaller ice surface, no one says he's not a hard working kid, I think he is going to be a very good goal scorer.

His footspeed, or lack thereof, scares me.  Can be improved though, I hope he's working on it this summer.

Just now, '7' said:

How does this happen? 

The simple answer is he didn’t want to come here and nothing was changing that. 

1 minute ago, '7' said:

How does this happen? 

I can’t wait to hear the explanation 

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I would absolutely trade Holtz + our 2023 first (top 2 protected) + Thompson + Foote or wtv for Tkachuk. I'm still not sold on Holtz at all

But you're right. Free agency is where the biggest mistakes are made. And i said this many times. Gaudreau wasn't the perfect player we should get. He was the best we could just sign... but a smaller winger is not ideal for our top line. So debrincat and him were not the ideal solution for long-term success.

I agree on both JG & Debrincat not being perfect fits, that's why although peeved a bit, I am not downtrodden over this.

The team is in a good space, I wish the fans would see that, but lets hope they make smart decisions in the next 48 hours and on.

• Like 2

Just now, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

I don't know I was just never high on him. Even before the draft, from watching him play he was literally the last on my ranking for who i wanted.

Didn't like what i saw at the world juniors either.

He indeed had a good season in the AHL, i'm hoping there's something there.

But every time i saw him in the NHL i saw more of the.... nothing special i saw

I may ultimately be wrong. I just had the same exact feeling with Larson, Zacha and Holtz. I try to believe reports saying they were oozing top skills and potential, but watching all the videos i could... i just never saw it.

I guess we'll see.

17 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:
Edit: Actually fvck this guy, doubt he's truly an insider.  Just looking to take a shot.

Just to follow-up on this - this douchebag does a podcast with Rachel Doerrie (you know, that chick we fired and who has had an axe to grind since) so this makes sense.

fvck this loser and I regret even posting his tweet here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

The current sentiment on devils Reddit is exactly this and it's a fvcking joke. "Thank god!!! We avoided cap hell!!!!!"

WE AVOIDED CAP HELL BECAUSE OUR TEAM SUCKS YOU IDIOTS.

I’ll be sure to remind myself as I peruse the 2023 top 10 prospects that at least we aren’t in the inescapable cap hell 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Either Fitz really screwed the pooch or Gaudreau didn’t want to go home badly enough to play for a Flyers rival. I can’t say I’m giving Fitz or our owners the benefit of the doubt at this point though.

Would he really be so immature and irrational The fact we are a rival of the team he grew up rooting for made this a non starter for him. I mean maybe it is...I have no idea. But to be spurned for Columbus....I want him to be asked, it was your home state, the young talent is there (some of it elite, Hughes) it was more money. What is it about Ohio and the Blue Jackets that won you over? Because this makes no sense and it's embarrassing

Edited by '7'