2022 Free Agency thread

MadDog2020

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Since it’s not my money and we have cap room to spare, I’m not as annoyed at that number as I would be normally…. but that is a lot of money for a guy like Palat. 

Yeah except that just makes us less likely to purse a Tarasenko or Tkachuk in trade

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

7E1A98A3-F9C9-4CB3-AD02-BA86046F7F6E.gif

fvck You

6 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

Yup. I complained about Kovalchuck, and Jagr and Hall and Cammaleri and Ryder and Jack and Nico.

Such bullsh!t, Dude.

I rarely posted during the Shero years and Fitz has given me a lot to complain about the past couple seasons. When Dougie got signed I didn't say sh!t. Fitz has given me a lot of reasons to complain.

If your reasons were fair nobody would call you out. But they aren't fair and you're literally making sh!t up and projecting in order to feed your narrative.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CarpathianForest said:

fvck You too!

Please explain to me how landing Palat would take us out of potentially getting a guy like Tkachuk say the Flames would entertain trading him.

You have no common sense. You want a reason to sh!t on Fitz and at the second you can use ANY scenario to sh!t on him, you don't bother looking further to see how it might make sense or look at the big picture, you instantly just jump to conclusions, every. single. chance. you. get.

I legitimately would have rather kept Zacha than make this signing. This is awful. I knew Fitz was going to do this. He's not saving face after not getting Gadreau. This knee jerk reaction makes it worse. The fans who praise moves like this are a big part of the problem with this team. When do we find out what night the next draft lottery is on?

30 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I'm not diminishing anything.

I've been saying that it's unfair to compare Lou's tenure with Shero's tenure as a Devils GM. And that we have to be a lot more patient than many have been considering what Shero started with in 2016. 

For GMs there's a lot of luck and bad luck involved too. Many GMs made great moves who never panned out and others made dumb moves and somehow it still worked. All of them. Detroit wouldn't have been this succesful for this long with the luck of drafting Datsyuk and Zetterberg this late and those guys becoming what they became for example.

I didn’t bring up Shero to begin with.  My initial post was Lou won three cups and if a GM can have the same run I’m ok with the cupboards being empty in the end.  It’s a cycle.  Some last longer than others.  Some teams never even win a cup.  I never hated Shero and he made some really great draft decisions and moves, but the rebuilt felt more of a retool with the addition of players like Hall and Subban later.  I know people disagree with this take, but that’s my opinion.

Thanks for the debate!  Let’s Go Devils!

Granted, I only really watch the lightning during the playoffs by default, but going back the the run to the finals behind the Triplets in 2015 through this year’s run, Palat has always been one of the best players on the ice when I watch.   Not saying he’s anywhere close to as good as Elias, but I feel like he’s just as underrated as Elias was.  

Edited by Lateralous

7 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

I didn’t bring up Shero to begin with.  My initial post was Lou won three cups and if a GM can have the same run I’m ok with the cupboards being empty in the end.  It’s a cycle.  Some last longer than others.  Some teams never even win a cup.  I never hated Shero and he made some really great draft decisions and moves, but the rebuilt felt more of a retool with the addition of players like Hall and Subban later.  I know people disagree with this take, but that’s my opinion.

Thanks for the debate!  Let’s Go Devils!

I get what you're saying but when you're letting your top guys in their prime walk for nothing continuously, letting bad drafting go for over a decade and never made decisions for the long-term, always going all-in no matter how unrealistic it is. That's speeding up the process a LOT and that's what he did

32 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Since it’s not my money and we have cap room to spare, I’m not as annoyed at that number as I would be normally…. but that is a lot of money for a guy like Palat. 

I mean I was hoping for 5.5 but I'm not gonna pitch a tent at 6.  Tampa just got rid of $27 million on the back end of McDonaugh's contract for bupkus, worst-case scenario we send a mid-round pick to Arizona to get out of the deal after three years at some retained salary.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, NJD16W said:

I legitimately would have rather kept Zacha than make this signing

The fans who praise moves like this are a big part of the problem with this team.

Really?  I always supported Zacha but come on now, Palat is light years better than him. I hardly think admitting that is being a “big part of the problem”.  

• Like 1

Imagine passing on signing an experienced top six forward (which we needed) for nothing but money because we 'might' be able to trade for a Thachuk or Tarasenko that 'could' re-sign.

Arguably passing up a bird in the hand hurt when the Devils missed out on some other good FA values at forward waiting on Gaudreau, but whatever.  At least they are actually trying to take the next step here.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

Really?  I always supported Zacha but come on now, Palat is light years better than him. I hardly think admitting that is being a “big part of the problem”.  

Palat is def an upgrade to Zacha, no question. Everything else equal the work ethic alone would but him ahead. I am not convinced he is worth the money/term or is the thing that pushes the Devils from bottom of the league to playoff team though.

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I get what you're saying but when you're letting your top guys in their prime walk for nothing continuously, letting bad drafting go for over a decade and never made decisions for the long-term, always going all-in no matter how unrealistic it is. That's speeding up the process a LOT and that's what he did

It was a near 30 year run. How much longer was it supposed to last? When you’re in the playoffs every single year with one of the greatest goalies in the world, of course you go all in every year. You ride that wave till it’s gone

Edited by Devil Dan 56

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Ok, that’s what you believe.  It’s not easy running a team that has a small market and not a destination spot.  People also forget that they had money issues.  I think 3 cups outweigh all his shortcomings.  When another GM does the same in NJ, I’ll shave my head.

10 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Palat is def an upgrade to Zacha, no question. Everything else equal the work ethic alone would but him ahead. I am not convinced he is worth the money/term or is the thing that pushes the Devils from bottom of the league to playoff team though.

That’s fine but I feel like you’re holding him to the standard of the contract we offered Gaudreau.   Palat is obviously an immediate upgrade to our top 6 and it if doesn’t work out, 5 years x 6 million for a guy who has a reputation for stepping up in the playoffs is easily movable and probably doesn’t hamstring us in the future.  

Edited by Lateralous

Not even trading Ty Smith to the CHL (where he belongs) will cheer me up. This is absolutely horrific. Having a lot of cap room is no excuse for this overpay of a 31 year old forward with no upside. This contract is an absolute joke. Bratt should ask for 8 now. If this bum is getting 6 to produce at a bottom 6 level. I don't care about him winning stanley cups in Tampa. That means absolutely nothing to anyone. It will have zero impact on what this team does going forward. This is a 6 million dollar per year anchor. All the rival fans are laughing at this signing. As they should. Yet we have some of our fans praising this trash. 

3 minutes ago, NJD16W said:

Not even trading Ty Smith to the CHL (where he belongs) will cheer me up. This is absolutely horrific. Having a lot of cap room is no excuse for this overpay of a 31 year old forward with no upside. This contract is an absolute joke. Bratt should ask for 8 now. If this bum is getting 6 to produce at a bottom 6 level. I don't care about him winning stanley cups in Tampa. That means absolutely nothing to anyone. It will have zero impact on what this team does going forward. This is a 6 million dollar per year anchor. All the rival fans are laughing at this signing. As they should. Yet we have some of our fans praising this trash. 

You really don’t know what the fvck you’re talking about, do you? 

2 hours ago, CarpathianForest said:

BTW the Burakovsky spec is from a guy who knows a guy i.e. rumors.

I guess you must mean my post from 30 or so pages ago about the Devs offer to him

It is most definitely hearsay in the legal sense since it wasn’t told to me by Burakovsky himself. That’s cool, I get the skepticism, no biggie.

However, the dollar amount is true, I didn’t get full terms, just dollar amounts. I can say my source is good but it’s neither here nor there because none of that will ever come out and of course I can’t say who told me so take it for what it’s worth

It was strictly money for him now. He’s got his two Cups

Just so you know, I don’t make a habit of making up sh!t for blanks and giggles, if I did, I’m sure I could come up with something better, lol

• Like 2