2022 Free Agency thread

MadDog2020

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

well i didn't mean just getting him would be a massive summer haul. I mean everything they got this summer is clearly making their team better

I get that too but I'm not sure how much a guy like Klingberg makes a team better.  Like Seves, for every 2 or 3 good things he'll do, they're offset (and then some) by 4 or 5 "WFT was he THINKING?!" moments.  Basically a net negative.

1 minute ago, Muevelos said:

Well this is a dumb take.

Pretty sure you could say this about 99% of his posts and it would apply.  And I can't guarantee that the other 1% would be fully exempt either.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I get that too but I'm not sure how much a guy like Klingberg makes a team better.  Like Seves, for every 2 or 3 good things he'll do, they're offset (and then some) by 4 or 5 "WFT was he THINKING?!" moments.  Basically a net negative.

I don't think that's necessarily true

I understand why people feel that way but i truly think all the losing and people needing to find a scapegoat and he's a good one.

Once you have a biased perception of someone or something. Either negatively or positively. Unless you REALLY challenge your thoughts, you're always going to focus and only see what fits what you want to believe. So it's either putting your head in the sand on all the good things and focus on the negatives. And the complete opposite too. It's just natural and i really don't think in general that people are aware of how much this impacts our perception on everything in life.

He plays a lot of minutes every night and handles the puck a lot. It's just not true that he makes more mistakes than good plays, it's just not true

Just my 2 cents. Maybe he just sucks too. 

Edited by SterioDesign

1 hour ago, NJD16W said:

I don't blame Gadreau for not signing with the Devils. We have the worst owners in the league. The worst GM in the league. The worst coach in the league. The worst goaltenders in the league. Pay mediocre roleplayers lke Palat like they are star players. Can't say I blame him. This team is going to finish in last place in the Metro next season. No question about it.

I agree we have one of the worst coaches in the league and blackwood is pretty bad. It's not fair to get on the other goalies like daws, who never would've been in the nhl on any other team.  He was basically thrown into the fire and learned on the fly...some good, some bad, but that's to be expected.

Owners are more focused on other ventures and buying the devils was the means to do what they're doing...but they do fork over money when needed. Seems like they started to get very political judging by their tweets, blm etc, and vote only bc trump was in charge (that's my problem with them)

While I don't think they're making the playoffs this year, I don't think they'll be last.  

Getting rid of zacha was a plus.   We are a better team now, esp since woods didn't play much last season, then we were in April.  They need more, but its a start. Need to lock up Bratt long term though

I understand why people feel that way but i truly think all the losing and people needing to find a scapegoat and he's a good one.

Once you have a biased perception of someone or something. Either negatively or positively. Unless you REALLY challenge your thoughts, you're always going to focus and only see what fits what you want to believe. So it's either putting your head in the sand on all the good things and focus on the negatives. And the complete opposite too. It's just natural and i really don't think in general that people are aware of how much this impacts our perception on everything in life.

Dude, honestly, don't try to turn this into amateur psychologist hour; no reason for that.  

I don't have Severson as THE scapegoat, even when I've been very public about being flustered with his general lack of evolution (though he did turn in a career-year offensively last year)...there's been obviously plenty of blame to go around as these losing seasons have mounted.  It's more that after watching him for as long as I have (since he broke into the league obviously), I just don't think he's good...like I said, I see a guy who brings more bad than good, but the good is good enough that you wish he could just start to curb the bad.  But it never seems to happen (or not as much as you'd like).

Is there a part of me that wishes someone other than nASS had been working with him the past several years?  Sure, I think that could have made a world of difference.  But now with the kids who will be here soon (on cost-effective ELC deals), it seems like his time here is just about up...even flawed veteran defensemen who can bring some offense tend to get overpaid by someone, and I can absolutely see Seves getting 5+ years and $6+ million AAV somewhere.  There's just no reason for the Devils to be the ones to fork it over...I believe they'll have players who will be younger, better, and cheaper. 

And in fairness, though I obviously wasn't any big fan of PK myself, doesn't the bolded apply to you've been killing PK for just about everything all this time?  

33 minutes ago, NJD16W said:

How does Ottawa's moves mirror ours? Ottawa went out and got great players. We got Palat for 2 million dollars per year more than he's worth. I would rather have nothing than what Fitz has delivered. Let the cap money just sit vacant. I would enjoy that more than the 35 points a year Palat will put up here.

Congrats on being the absolute dumbest poster in NJDevs history. Quite an honor. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And in fairness, though I obviously wasn't any big fan of PK myself, doesn't the bolded apply to you've been killing PK for just about everything all this time?  

His avatar is 50% PK 50% Lou. Safe to say it is just his thing! The only thing that could make his avatar even more accurate is if he could add something to represent 50% girlfriend analogies lol.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Dude, honestly, don't try to turn this into amateur psychologist hour; no reason for that.  

I don't have Severson as THE scapegoat, even when I've been very public about being flustered with his general lack of evolution (though he did turn in a career-year offensively last year)...there's been obviously plenty of blame to go around as these losing seasons have mounted.  It's more that after watching him for as long as I have (since he broke into the league obviously), I just don't think he's good...like I said, I see a guy who brings more bad than good, but the good is good enough that you wish he could just start to curb the bad.  But it never seems to happen (or not as much as you'd like).

Is there a part of me that wishes someone other than nASS had been working with him the past several years?  Sure, I think that could have made a world of difference.  But now with the kids who will be here soon (on cost-effective ELC deals), it seems like his time here is just about up...even flawed veteran defensemen who can bring some offense tend to get overpaid by someone, and I can absolutely see Seves getting 5+ years and $6+ million AAV somewhere.  There's just no reason for the Devils to be the ones to fork it over...I believe they'll have players who will be younger, better, and cheaper. 

It sure does but i also brought this up many times that I was obviously biased against PK. But the reasons i don't like him and brought up were always supported by actual reports/evidences or wtv. Saying that he shouldn't have won a norris since he was NOT playing against top competition, not playing on the PK, not put on the ice to protect lead late in game, not deployed on defensive faceoffs, and getting all his points getting sheltered minutes and on the PP is just all factual. We can discuss those points but it's pretty black and white to me that you cannot give the norris for best overall dman to a guy like that. 

I also acknowledge as much as possible his positives to balance what i was saying so that it was not just a hate train.

And well you saw yourself when he came here that he was indeed not a very good hockey player.

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Did zero free agents sign contracts today?

Is Kadri linked to anyone?  I haven't really heard anything about him at all.  

Just now, SterioDesign said:
Well this is... surprising

Yes and no...Taylor came off as being so hard to read that he could say that he loved it here or he hated it and I don't think either response would seem all that shocking.   

https://thehockeywriters.com/flames-potential-trading-partners-matthew-tkachuk/?fbclid=IwAR0KEReaaNKvBQrV286MRg4qsIgapkyWmocQS_TOVtaCtxP3oW5P9vVTDus

Also great that we're actually considered for potential landing spot.

Also funny that many fans are freaking out that we USED out pick to draft a player and that it's somehow cancelling all that picks value in the future. If a team would have been interested in our pick, they may want Nemec in a trade

36 minutes ago, NJD16W said:

How does Ottawa's moves mirror ours? Ottawa went out and got great players. We got Palat for 2 million dollars per year more than he's worth. I would rather have nothing than what Fitz has delivered. Let the cap money just sit vacant. I would enjoy that more than the 35 points a year Palat will put up here.

Ottawa's moves mirror ours in the sense that they have a young and good core that has sucked in the standings for the last 3 years and they are trying to surround those young players with talent. I also would have advocated staying pat and letting youth fill these spots if we are still truly bad and have no hope and I think the management would have done the same if they suspected this. 

The Devils are making moves for players who have plenty of playoffs experience. This tells me (I am dumb btw, grain of salt) that they are not expecting this team to miss again this year. With the parity in the league the way it is, I honestly think anything can happen. Ottawa is making similar moves to us and Philly because they think they can compete. The Devils moves also indicate the management does happen to have faith in the group we have here. I think bringing in what we have, plus Brunette, we are in pretty good shape considering the recent results we've had. The only bad move that we've made is signing Tatar (lefty) to a UFA deal if we knew that we were going to try and make a splash with Gaudreau or Palat (both lefties). If we had signed JG, we would have been expected to make the playoffs by everyone. Not saying Palat is better, but the consolation he brings is fine as far as being a supporting guy who can tell these kids that they can reach it there. Overpayment if he plays in the bottom 6, but he's a UFA and I don't expect to see him in the bottom 6 on our team compared to Tampas. 

Haula- 61 playoff games
Smith- 56 playoff games
Palat- 138 playoff games

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yes and no...Taylor came off as being so hard to read that he could say that he loved it here or he hated it and I don't think either response would seem all that shocking.   

I think he liked it here, but the fit wasn’t right long-term.

Edited by MadDog2020

https://thehockeywriters.com/flames-potential-trading-partners-matthew-tkachuk/?fbclid=IwAR0KEReaaNKvBQrV286MRg4qsIgapkyWmocQS_TOVtaCtxP3oW5P9vVTDus

Also funny that many fans are freaking out that we USED out pick to draft a player and that it's somehow cancelling all that picks value in the future. If a team would have been interested in our pick, they may want Nemec in a trade

I agree, but conversely, if they weren’t interested in #2 when they had everyone except one guy to pick from, I don’t think they would be interested in taking Nemec. 

Unless they somehow became more desperate to trade him following Jerkoff Gaudreau’s departure. 

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Moving recently acquired players is never a sign of good management. I mean, you can, but it looks bad. Like acquiring a player in the offseason just to move him out before the offseason starts doesn't make your team more attractive.  Players who are done/retired, but their contracts are still on the books, that's a little different. 

Probably looks like signing players to offer sheets as far as reputation is concerned. 

Edited by RizzMB30

Just now, RizzMB30 said:

Moving recently acquired players is never a sign of good management. I mean, you can, but it looks bad.

Probably looks like signing players to offer sheets as far as reputation is concerned. 

I don't personally think so. You draft people and acquire assets. You can do wtv you want with those assets.

an offer sheet is literally an attack and trying to fvck over someone playing dirty.

Trading guys with value to get a top guy for the organisation... i really don't see how that's bad management personally

31 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

He plays a lot of minutes every night and handles the puck a lot. It's just not true that he makes more mistakes than good plays, it's just not true

Well hopefully one day we can all be so enlightened with no known biases. But until then perhaps you can entertain the idea that while many of us appreciate Seversons offense, we are kinda bummed when he does little things like you know pass the puck to the other team in the slot or forget to cover the front of the net and stand behind the goal line or leave someone open and and then stare into the middle distance after a goal like he has no idea what happened. He’s a good player with the right support but he probably won’t be worth what he gets in free agency next year unless he fixes the brain farts. 

2 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Utica have some gaps to fill. 

Meh. Prospects should replace them. We need in good center. And especially we don't need in White. There are Bahletyukoevich's, Vilen and Wotherspoon + Walsh, Groleau and Russo. Its 8 men for six spots.

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I think he liked it here, but the fit wasn’t right long-term.

Seems silly to bail out over a coach but Taylor Hall was great while here. I think he still fits technically in our top 6 based on needs (prior to Palat signing). Or was there larger beef that I didn't hear about? 

Hall alongside Hischier or Hughes still seems good to me, but I noticed in playoffs, he was most invisible for BOS.