2022 Free Agency thread

MadDog2020

Just now, Guadana said:

Meh. Prospects should replace them. We need in good center. And especially we don't need in White. There are Bahletyukoevich's, Vilen and Wotherspoon + Walsh, Groleau and Russo. Its 8 men for six spots.

It's the forwards I am concerned about. If Holtz and Zetterlund make the Devil's they have lost their four top point scorers. 

Still plenty of time to make some moves. Still all for learning to win early doors. 

8 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I don't personally think so. You draft people and acquire assets. You can do wtv you want with those assets.

an offer sheet is literally an attack and trying to fvck over someone playing dirty.

Trading guys with value to get a top guy for the organisation... i really don't see how that's bad management personally

I guess I'm just asking that if you put yourself in the players shoes here they are human beings and should be treated as such. Maybe the word I am looking for here is courtesy. They are not just pieces of meat. 

Although that is what they are from a sports business sense. 

If you are a player and this happens to you, it would sour you on the org, even if you never played a game for them. It's likely the reason you don't see it happen that often. I would argue at least.

Edited by RizzMB30

2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Well hopefully one day we can all be so enlightened with no known biases. But until then perhaps you can entertain the idea that while many of us appreciate Seversons offense, we are kinda bummed when he does little things like you know pass the puck to the other team in the slot or forget to cover the front of the net and stand behind the goal line or leave someone open and and then stare into the middle distance after a goal like he has no idea what happened. He’s a good player with the right support but he probably won’t be worth what he gets in free agency next year unless he fixes the brain farts. 

Well i'll never defend him that he's not making terrible dumb plays pretty often lol Anyone watching him play can see that.

The debate is that is it really more often than the good things he does? I don't think so personally. When Dmen make good plays, you simply don't see it. The puck just gets out and its seamless, or he's in the right spot blocking a pass attempt or wtv, you don't really notice that as much. And the guy plays like 20 minutes a night and touches the puck all game long. He's clearly making more good things than bad things. The bad things are just really magnified because of everything, timing, context, etc etc

Especially when you have terrible goaltending and that the puck endup in the back of the net all the time. Again, something Subban benefited of quite a bit in MTL when he had Price in his prime saving his ass constantly.

4 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

It's the forwards I am concerned about. If Holtz and Zetterlund make the Devil's they have lost their four top point scorers. 

Still plenty of time to make some moves. Still all for learning to win early doors. 

We don't have roster spots for both. If they will make a room, they will make some signs I believe. They did good job on the market year ago for Utica. I don't think they magically forget about them, especially after signing one center for ahl, forget his name. Guy from Hershey 

9 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

I guess I'm just asking that if you put yourself in the players shoes here, they are human beings and should be treated as such. Maybe the word I am looking for here is courtesy. They are not just pieces of meat. 

Although that is what they are from a sports business sense. 

If you are a player and this happens to you, it would sour you on the org, even if you never played a game for them. It's likely the reason you don't see it happen that often. I would argue at least.

Well i get it and know what you're saying. But like Burke once said in an interview saying that he couldnt imagine his son becoming a GM or something cause he was just too nice. To be a good GM you have to be able to be cold and make very very hard decisions at times. Having to call a guy telling him he's traded while his wife is about to give birth or not long after one of his parent passed, etc etc

Business is business and well, we can all agree that it sucks to be in that position for everyone involved... when feelings gets in the way, you often get bad results and manage assets poorly too. 

When you're trying to run a business or anything competitive..... often... Results > Feelings. I mean... look how the Rangers run their franchise. They'd constantly handout huge contracts to top free agents just to buy them out 3 years later... does it look like it impacted them negatively? Doesn't look like it too me lol 

Also Nemec is from europe. I don't think he cared who drafted him that much to be honest.

Edited by SterioDesign

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Not signing him for what he would have cost at that time was a great move. 

Yeah we've been over it but it would have been even tougher for him here because he would've forever been measured against his MVP season.  He would've been hearing it constantly if he was only putting up 65 points-or-so seasons while being one of the highest-paid Devils.  

15 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I mean... look how the Rangers run their franchise. They'd constantly handout huge contracts to top free agents just to buy them out 3 years later... does it look like it impacted them negatively? Doesn't look like it too me lol 

I mean, they haven't won anything, so it hasn't impacted them positively. 

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah we've been over it but it would have been even tougher for him here because he would've forever been measured against his MVP season.  He would've been hearing it constantly if he was only putting up 65 points-or-so seasons while being one of the highest-paid Devils.  

Imagine they paid him the 11-12m fans were calling for at the time...

19 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well i get it and know what you're saying. But like Burke once said in an interview saying that he couldnt imagine his son becoming a GM or something cause he was just too nice. To be a good GM you have to be able to be cold and make very very hard decisions at times. Having to call a guy telling him he's traded while his wife is about to give birth or not long after one of his parent passed, etc etc

Business is business and well, we can all agree that it sucks to be in that position for everyone involved... when feelings gets in the way, you often get bad results and manage assets poorly too. 

When you're trying to run a business or anything competitive..... often... Results > Feelings. I mean... look how the Rangers run their franchise. They'd constantly handout huge contracts to top free agents just to buy them out 3 years later... does it look like it impacted them negatively? Doesn't look like it too me lol 

Also Nemec is from europe. I don't think he cared who drafted him that much to be honest.

Fair enough, SD. I totally get your point. You're right on the Rags, but location and bright lights play a part in overcoming this for them and I would say my point regarding the rarity and how infrequently players move after being acquired by the same team stands. 

To be honest, I think buyouts are an example closer to the offer sheets not to move the goal post on you. They are tools in the toolbox so to speak that GMs have but don't want or like to use. 

Edited by RizzMB30
Proofreading/clarity

22 minutes ago, Guadana said:

We don't have roster spots for both. If they will make a room, they will make some signs I believe. They did good job on the market year ago for Utica. I don't think they magically forget about them, especially after signing one center for ahl, forget his name. Guy from Hershey 

De Leo maybe? Just went to ANA? 

5 hours ago, NJD16W said:

I don't blame Gadreau for not signing with the Devils. We have the worst owners in the league. The worst GM in the league. The worst coach in the league. The worst goaltenders in the league. Pay mediocre roleplayers lke Palat like they are star players. Can't say I blame him. This team is going to finish in last place in the Metro next season. No question about it.

What star player are you getting for $6 million a year? You’re talking directly out of your ass. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

What star player are you getting for $6 million a year? You’re talking directly out of your ass. 

You don’t know what you are talking about, you get the best of the best for $6 million. 

Signed,

mfitz804

7/14/1998

46 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Jonathan Huberdeau (5.9m), JT Miller (5.2m), Mackinnon (6.3m), Jake Guentzel (6m), Brad Marchand (6.1m), Timo Meier (6m), Zucarello (6m), Mark Scheifele (6.1m), Dylan Larkin (6.1m), etc etc etc etc etc 

29 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Damn. If only we’d offered Gaudreau 6 million instead of 9 or 10

Well, with your guy’s taxes up there Palat will actually be making right around what he probably should have gotten anyway…

maybe that will make our newest malcontent feel a little better. Maybe? Probably not? 

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

Jonathan Huberdeau (5.9m), JT Miller (5.2m), Mackinnon (6.3m), Jake Guentzel (6m), Brad Marchand (6.1m), Timo Meier (6m), Zucarello (6m), Mark Scheifele (6.1m), Dylan Larkin (6.1m), etc etc etc etc etc 

How many of those were signed as UFAs?  

• Like 2

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

How many of those were signed as UFAs?  

You could probably quibble on how many of those guys are “star players” outside of Mac (and I guess the Rat), too. Very good isn’t necessarily the same thing. 

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Zuccarello signed for 6m as a UFA. 

I mean, i just answered the question

And I was just asking the question lol. RFA deals sometimes turn out to be reasonable and even bargains, compared to UFA overpayments.  That’s why I was curious as to how those players got their AAV. 

11 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

You could probably quibble on how many of those guys are “star players” outside of Mac (and I guess the Rat), too. Very good isn’t necessarily the same thing. 

How many of those would you rather have on your team at that salary vs a 31 years old Palat at the same price tag though? I guess that's where this is all coming from