2022 Free Agency thread

MadDog2020

The year is 1997. The late John McConnell is working on securing his arena to finalize his franchise submission fee. In his mind, he’s thinking about how much he hated when that McDonalds colored team from Atlanta used to visit his beloved Barons.

25 years later, and 14 after his passing, it takes just one hipster looking motherfvcker to firmly establish the Flames-Blue Jackets rivalry.

Amazing.

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

I think it’s pretty safe to assume that the Marino trade ends any chance of Subban returning. It makes zero sense with the other contracts that still need signing

Unless a Severson trade were to happen, I agree. We probably wouldn't need him then either, but maybe they want a veteran presence blah blah blah. 

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I think it’s pretty safe to assume that the Marino trade ends any chance of Subban returning. It makes zero sense with the other contracts that still need signing

Devils aren't quite as flush with cap space for this year as we would've thought either.  Bringing Marino aboard added a decent lil' chunk.  Still just under $13 million left, but then there's still Bratt, Wood and Vanecek to sign (also Boqvist, which obviously won't be for much).  Not crazy to think that the three of them could combine for $11 - 12 million.  

Lots of guys coming off next year, some of whom will definitely not be back (here's looking at you, Tatar and Johnsson), so not like the Devils are screwed long-term...just that they'll be much closer to the cap in 2022-23 than we ever could've imagined, once the RFA situation is cleared up.  

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Devils aren't quite as flush with cap space for this year as we would've thought either.  Bringing Marino aboard added a decent lil' chunk.  Still just under $13 million left, but then there's still Bratt, Wood and Vanecek to sign (also Boqvist, which obviously won't be for much).  Not crazy to think that the three of them could combine for $11 - 12 million.  

Lots of guys coming off next year, some of whom will definitely not be back (here's looking at you, Tatar and Johnsson), so not like the Devils are screwed long-term...just that they'll be much closer to the cap in 2022-23 than we ever could've imagined, once the RFA situation is cleared up.  

Wow are we really that close??

yeah i think we're in a real good spot. I feel this group is a group that could challenge for a playoffs spot if things go well... and then we have a large chunk of money to improve with new players coming in. thats its luke Hughes, nemec, etc etc or trades or FA.

Just the fact that IF and i repeat IF something could happen thatTkachuk is leaving Calgary. And he appears to be #1 on everyone's wish list. Well we're actually in a position to land him. While many other teams are simply not

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Wow are we really that close??

Yeah it's surprising but for this year, once the RFAs are signed, Devils will be up against it a little.  If need be, there's certainly moves they could make...get rid of one of Tatar or Johnsson for a 5th or 6th-rounder, and you've got a little more wiggle room.  They could potentially move Seves too for a better return but probably too early to do that.  Don't think the defensive depth is established enough to make that kind of move just yet...of course, will be weird if the Devils are on the bubble near the deadline, and it's become obvious that Seves isn't getting re-signed, even if he's having a good year.  What does Fitz do there?  

27 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I’m assuming Bernier will be LTIR’d so that opens it up a bit

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Yeah, this. We have 3 dead-weight contracts worth 12.5m getting nuked next year between Bernier, Tatar and Johnsson. Cap is not a concern, but it’s officially time to stop saying stupid sh!t like “the owners won’t spend to the cap!!!!” when they pretty much already are. 

Exactly my thought and, if I may be so bold, its what you are supposed to do. 

9 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I’m assuming Bernier will be LTIR’d so that opens it up a bit

Yeah that will definitely help quite a bit.  Capfriendly has his hit as part of the total payroll right now.  They're also including Nemec at the moment.

7 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Yeah, this. We have 3 dead-weight contracts worth 12.5m getting nuked next year between Bernier, Tatar and Johnsson. Cap is not a concern, but it’s officially time to stop saying stupid sh!t like “the owners won’t spend to the cap!!!!” when they pretty much already are. 

Yeah the Devils are not in trouble beyond this season (they should be sprinkling in some ELCs in 2023-24), and it's not dire this year, but my whole point was that we're so used to seeing the Devils have tons of space that they're not going to have as much of it for 2022-23 as we're used to seeing.  But they'll able to sign Bratt, Wood, and Vanecek, and if they dump one of Johnsson or Tatar along with LTIR'ing Bernier, they'll still have some room.  

Just now, Chuck the Duck said:

I would be surprised if Bernier ever plays again in the NHL.  He is definitely going LTIR as he won't be ready for at least 1/2 of next season, probably longer.

I'm feeling at a minimum, his days as a Devil are over. Maybe he plays a game or two for us somewhere late in the year, but likely if he plays again it will be a Cory Schneider type comeback attempt where he plays one game against us and he wins lol. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I'm feeling at a minimum, his days as a Devil are over. Maybe he plays a game or two for us somewhere late in the year, but likely if he plays again it will be a Cory Schneider type comeback attempt where he plays one game against us and he wins lol. 

With a 36 save shutout