Jump to content

2022 Free Agency thread


MadDog2020
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:


I’m guessing Toronto gave Campbell’s agent permission to go looking for a contract? That’s absolutely a need for Edmonton. I’m assuming Kuemper goes to Washington. 

Like so many other "rules" in this league, apparently folks are just completely ignoring all the tampering that's going on.

Friedman has been reporting a 5x5 deal for Campbell to the Oilers for like.. a solid week+.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

it’s only illegal if it benefits a non-O6 team. Hossa contract, blatant cap circumvention? No problem. Kovalchuk contract in the same mold? CONTRACT DECLINED, DRAFT PICK REVOKED, MAKING A MOCKERY OF THE LEAGUE

Or a team that is good for business

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

it’s only illegal if it benefits a non-O6 team. Hossa contract, blatant cap circumvention? No problem. Kovalchuk contract in the same mold? CONTRACT DECLINED, DRAFT PICK REVOKED, MAKING A MOCKERY OF THE LEAGUE

I’ll never forget the Chicago “lending” Huet to a European team when they were cap strapped. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Count me as one who is really weary about giving a 29 year old (at start of season), 5'-7" winger 10+ million, and yes, considering the age of guys like Nico, both Hughes and Bratt, I'm concerned about what this contract will look like in 5 years.   I guess the positive side of this is that we're in about the 4th year of a flat cap and with inflation and new TV contracts, the cap should go up significantly at some point soon, but that's just my assumption.    

He's had one 100+ point season in his entire career.   If he signs, I hope I'm wrong but no way we're getting 3.    

You can add me as someone who is slightly nervous about it. But given how teams seem able to work their way out of messy situations cap wise on a regular basis it feels less of a worry than it did a few years ago. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, MB3 said:

it’s only illegal if it benefits a non-O6 team. Hossa contract, blatant cap circumvention? No problem. Kovalchuk contract in the same mold? CONTRACT DECLINED, DRAFT PICK REVOKED, MAKING A MOCKERY OF THE LEAGUE

It's true, but let's be honest Lou was absolutely taking the piss with the structure of that contract. He kind of forced the league's hand. Typical Lou , always an innovator. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

You can add me as someone who is slightly nervous about it. But given how teams seem able to work their way out of messy situations cap wise on a regular basis it feels less of a worry than it did a few years ago. 

I’m definitely a little worried about it too, but in 5 years we have no idea what the situation might be here. Having too much talent to pay will be a nice problem at least

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh and if the Devils are indeed entering the "JG Timeline"...

Bye bye Seves.  They won't be re-signing him for the $6 million (maybe more) or so AAV he'll get as a UFA...and given the kids currently in system, they shouldn't.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

You can add me as someone who is slightly nervous about it. But given how teams seem able to work their way out of messy situations cap wise on a regular basis it feels less of a worry than it did a few years ago. 

Same here.  I'm really hoping it isn't $10m+x7.  I could be totally wrong because I admittedly have not watched much of his game, only looked at numbers, but it just feels like that contract is going to get sour in like 3 or 4 seasons.

But definitely excited to see him play with Jack or Nico if it happens.  Fitz is going to need to find some size somewhere.  Hopefully Wood sticks around. (get it?)

Edited by Crisis
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Crisis said:

Same here.  I'm really hoping it isn't $10m+x7.  I could be totally wrong because I admittedly have not watched much of his game, only looked at numbers, but it just feels like that contract is going to get sour in like 3 or 4 seasons.

But definitely excited to see him play with Jack or Nico if it happens.  Fitz is going to need to find some size somewhere.  Hopefully Wood sticks around. (get it?)

That's why the next 4-5 years become the "Right Now" window.  Re:  the bolded, the same can be said of Hamilton's deal.  The plus in both cases is that neither guy cost the Devils anything in player assets.

But yeah, these deals for guys in their late 20s are ALWAYS a huge risk.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That's why the next 4-5 years become the "Right Now" window.  Re:  the bolded, the same can be said of Hamilton's deal.  The plus in both cases is that neither guy cost the Devils anything in player assets.

But yeah, these deals for guys in their late 20s are ALWAYS a huge risk.    

I feel like Hamilton has the physical tools and brain to continue to be effective in his position when he gets older and ultimately slows down.  But Johnny is so little.  Hopefully he can find whatever magic Marty St Louis had.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MB3 said:

severson doesn’t fit the future of the team anyway. nemec slides into his role in a vastly superior capacity in a year or so. if the devils aren’t in the playoff hunt you’d think they can get a first round pick for him at the deadline this year.

He's more or less become obsolete, really.  Hamilton/Nemec/L Hughes has more or less ensured that.  Now it's a question of De-nASS-ifying Smith.  Curious to see if Graves is re-signed  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, MB3 said:

either you’re allowed to frontload a contract or you aren’t. hossa’s was similarly structured which established precedent. 

the fact that the league not only disallowed the contract but FINED THE DEVILS A DRAFT PICK is so far beyond reasonable it makes my head spin.

That’s what always bothered me. It was technically within the rules. Lou pointed out how silly these contracts were getting and the league rejected the contract and then had the balls to penalize the Devils for a contract that never even officially existed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He's more or less become obsolete, really.  Hamilton/Nemec/L Hughes has more or less ensured that.  Now it's a question of De-nASS-ifying Smith.  Curious to see if Graves is re-signed  

I think Graves is a good player, but I wasn’t so impressed with him that I think we can’t let him go. Even if Nemec doesn’t make the team this year, I feel like you have both he and Luke on next year’s team, plus there’s other young guys that could make the leap, and you have to wonder if there’s a place for him anymore. 

1 minute ago, Crisis said:

Damn how good do those look…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

That’s what always bothered me. It was technically within the rules. Lou pointed out how silly these contracts were getting and the league rejected the contract and then had the balls to penalize the Devils for a contract that never even officially existed

Lou was warned and then he went ahead with the "This is team" press conference (the original 17-year deal), which caused Bettman to lose his sh!t.

Lou basically gave him the finger...was ultimately a pretty costly finger.  But yeah, I think Bettman was definitely most willing to come down on the Devils ahead of other teams.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Lou was warned and then he went ahead with the "This is team" press conference (the original 17-year deal), which caused Bettman to lose his sh!t.

Lou basically gave him the finger...was ultimately a pretty costly finger.  But yeah, I think Bettman was definitely most willing to come down on the Devils ahead of other teams.  

Yeah Lou couldn’t get away with playing chicken like he did back in the 90’s. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Weagar would be pretty lit. There really aren't a whole lot of available defenseman. 

I do really like Mason Marchment. I'm worried he'll be overpaid for what amounts to 1 good NHL season, but he's a big body who gets under everyone's skin. Tom Wilson-lite kind of guy. 

Re:  the bolded...that's where Fitz will still have work to do.  Devils need to add a real a-hole or two to the lineup.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.