2022 Free Agency thread

MadDog2020

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well does it?

I mean i dont live in NJ. But i keep hearing from people literally all over north America is that it's the armpit of the states. A sh!tty place to live, etc etc etc

I'm not saying i agree or anything. i literally don't know. I'm just saying what im hearing.

But my guess is that there's some truth to that, probably not as bad as reported. But then anyone saying is not true... are still living in NJ and are possibly in a good neighborhood and legit happy... or they are possibly very biased too and simply can't see it. I assume the truth is somewhere in the middle but yeah. It's not surprising that most fans "don't get it" if they don't see it. But then when i see comments like "he went to play in a sh!thole in Ohio"... well... saying that you're doing exactly what everyone else is doing with Newark.

Anyway. Just an outside perspective

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/slideshows/10-wealthiest-states-in-america?slide=9

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

I would be genuinely shocked if the Devils go into the season with this roster and nothing else major. 

If they do, I'll call for Fitz' head. Your major offseason additions cannot be Vanecek and a 7th defenseman. 

Don’t sell Fitz short, he got Erik Haula too

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I'm going to cheer for misery and failure, that's for sure. Boo him off the ice.

Frank Seravelli said that it wasn't about money for Johnny Hockey. I thought he was full of it. But Seravelli is very reliable. 

If it were me, I'd have signed with the Devils. Gaudreau could've come home and formed a dynamic duo with Hughes.

I don't get it. CBJ is not exactly a contender. They don't have the room to keep Laine. They do have potential like Sillinger and Kent Johnson. Plus Chinakhov. Added Jiricek to the blue line.

Not much proven scoring aside from Bjorkstrand if Laine is moved. 

The Devils made a great offer. Calgary offered the moon. He made his choice. A very odd one. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well does it?

I mean i dont live in NJ. But i keep hearing from people literally all over north America is that it's the armpit of the states. A sh!tty place to live, etc etc etc

I'm not saying i agree or anything. i literally don't know. I'm just saying what im hearing.

But my guess is that there's some truth to that, probably not as bad as reported. But then anyone saying is not true... are still living in NJ and are possibly in a good neighborhood and legit happy... or they are possibly very biased too and simply can't see it. I assume the truth is somewhere in the middle but yeah. It's not surprising that most fans "don't get it" if they don't see it. But then when i see comments like "he went to play in a sh!thole in Ohio"... well... saying that you're doing exactly what everyone else is doing with Newark.

Anyway. Just an outside perspective

Parts of NJ are nice, the parts around Newark (and not just the city of Newark, but a huge part of the area surrounding the city of Newark) are endless traffic and congestion. I personally can’t wait to get out of the area now that my job is staying remote.

I can see a player who sees that every time they come to Prudential not being interested in it. Gaudreau should know better, but most players probably don’t. 

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

Parts of NJ are nice, the parts around Newark (and not just the city of Newark, but a huge part of the area surrounding the city of Newark) are endless traffic and congestion. I personally can’t wait to get out of the area now that my job is staying remote.

I can see a player who sees that every time they come to Prudential not being interested in it. Gaudreau should know better, but most players probably don’t. 

If only they had built the arena in Hoboken, or... anywhere besides Newark.

4 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Don’t sell Fitz short, he got Erik Haula too

The two adds he got are good. Haula is a solid 3C. Did a nice job in Boston playing with Pasta and Hall.

I'll always have a soft spot for Smith. He is a high character guy who plays physical and a good locker room presence. He helped out Miller and Kakko while here. He also isn't a bad guy to have. Played 6th D in Carolina. A solid vet. 

2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Yeahh... again, i don't know.

But maybe we shouldn't wonder this much why players doesn't want to come here. Geography is obviously really important. There's a reason NY and LA are attracting more free agents than Winnipeg.

It's like setting up an ice cream stand in Florida vs Yellowknife.... You will get different results lol it's only common sense

Let's just hope this will be another Shattenkirk situation where we were super bummed not to get a guy who considered us but then we're very happy we didn't.

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

But maybe we shouldn't wonder this much why players doesn't want to come here. Geography is obviously really important. There's a reason NY and LA are attracting more free agents than Winnipeg.

It's like setting up an ice cream stand in Florida vs Yellowknife.... You will get different results lol it's only common sense

Let's just hope this will be another Shattenkirk situation where we were super bummed not to get a guy who considered us but then we're very happy we didn't.

There's no way JG considers living in Ohio better. Besides Cleveland, parts if Cincy and Columbus, Ohio is full of hillbillys and sh!t kickers. It's basically Kentucky and West Virginia outside those three cities

I'm fairly confident the Gudbranson signing played a factor

Edited by CarpathianForest

2 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

Having been born in Jersey I've heard it all, but it's an undeserved rep. Their schools are ranked in the top 10 and there's a reasonably a lot of people who work in New York live in Jersey

I’m New Jersey adjacent, and it’s like anywhere else, there’s beautiful parts and there’s sh!tty parts. The reputation thing is mostly from jokes and stuff that’s been in movies and Tv and regurgitated on the internet. 

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

It would not surprise me if a guy who has never been to New Jersey might think that way, and may not actually know what it’s like. But this d!ck cheese is from New Jersey. 

4 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

If only they had built the arena in Hoboken, or... anywhere besides Newark.

Don't get me started .... again. More than a decade later, and it still sucks we play in the shadow of Ghettoville.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

He wasn’t the best fit but I would have still been psyched to have him. In reality we need a bigger presence on the wings but Fitz had to take a run at Gaudreau when he was available. Now we pivot to something else I guess. 

I'm on board for signing Palat. I think of him the way Conte used to think of Dainius Zubrus - if you have a team full of Palats, you'll win a lot of games. Sure, he doesn't fit the timeline, but I don't think he plays the type of game that would decline quickly. He has also shown he can play up and down a lineup. And I think he plays with the grit that the Devils are missing, especially on a line with Hughes. 

Before any other trades or signings, which I definitely can see Fitz doing still:

Palat-Hughes-Sharangovich

Bratt-Hischier-Mercer

Holtz-Haula-Zetterlund

Wood-Boqvist-Bastian

Tatar and Johnsson have to fit in there somewhere too

Just now, MB3 said:

the Devils aren't lacking with prospects to trade lol.

And most of them I would be ok including. Not Luke Hughes, maybe not Nemec (but maybe I would). Everyone else in the AHL I would consider. 

Hot take, if Mercer and/or Holtz are the ask, they’re packing their bags if I’m the GM and there is a Tkachuk extension in place. 

1 minute ago, nessus said:

Tatar and Johnsson have to fit in there somewhere too

But, do they HAVE to??