Jump to content

2022 Free Agency thread


MadDog2020
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, ajsgolf said:

Couldn’t agree more, lived many years in Central Jersey, went to school in South Jersey, also lived in Hoboken.  Now I’m living in LI because of the wife.  Absolutely despise LI and would do anything to live in NJ.  Absolutely loved it there.  So many places to visit.  Never that far from the shore, can go to any one of many states within a couple hours.  I constantly have this conversation with friends and it’s true, everything you need, any sporting event you want to attend, any outdoor activity you want to take part of you can.  Not many places around the country you can say the same about.  Would move back tonight if I could.

We’re closer to New Jersey than most parts of Staten Island. More often than not if we are going shopping or to a restaurant, it’s Jersey. The beach, DEFINITELY Jersey. 

I like where I am and it makes no sense to move when both of our jobs and all of my daughter’s friends are here, but there are plenty of places in NJ I would consider. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, 2ELIAS6 said:

Glad is an understatement buddy, im fvckin over the top thrilled that we literally missed out on every single quality FA today because we once again put all of our eggs in one guys basket. There is no way to make this team better now without a trade. Palat ain’t moving the needle either

Well we will be better. That you like it or not. Jack will be better. Other younger players will surely take a step forward too. Our D might not be a complete mess because of Nasradine. Our PP will certainly improve with Brunette and we will get better goaltending than last year.

All of this assuming there's no more major injuries of course.

With even just average goaltending last year we would have been a bubble team. We were also missing Miles Wood for an entire season and he's a big part of the team and bring something nobody else does

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well that's fine

But again, it's fine but just don't be the same guy sh!tting on Colombus saying similar things. Cause over there, there's certainly someone saying the same thing about you and people saying the same thing

100%, I am sure it’s the same in any state. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

Well we will be better. That you like it or not. Jack will be better. Other younger players will surely take a step forward too. Our D might not be a complete mess because of Nasradine. Our PP will certainly improve with Brunette and we will get better goaltending than last year.

All of this assuming there's no more major injuries of course.

With even just average goaltending last year we would have been a bubble team. We were also missing Miles Wood for an entire season and he's a big part of the team and bring something nobody else does

With these things i do agree, however, when the surrounding teams are making moves in an already very tough and talented division to continuously improve, we cant sit on our hand and sign a couple guys that make 1mm that nearly no one has heard of.. see Damien Brunner. Amongst other bums in the past handful of years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Glad is an understatement buddy, im fvckin over the top thrilled that we literally missed out on every single quality FA today because we once again put all of our eggs in one guys basket. There is no way to make this team better now without a trade. Palat ain’t moving the needle either

The Devils can get better just because the youngsters already here can legitimately get better. And there are vets out there that can help. I think you're too pessimistic about the players.

It's the coach that I'm more disappointed about, but that kinda falls to the wayside on the first day of free agency.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Well you're welcome to re-read what i said as i specified the team he put together won 3. Not that he won 3

Just like Yzerman didn't win a cup as a GM but the team he put together for years won 2. 

8 years to build a team that won after he left. How long did it take Lou to turn a Mickey Mouse organization into a perennial playoff team for 28 years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah come on now. Tatar and Johnsson- what on God’s green earth would ever make you think Calgary would have any interest in either of those two sacks of sh!t? Get real.

Just throwing them in there.  Mercer and Holtz are the two with value.  I’m sure they would have to add picks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

With these things i do agree, however, when the surrounding teams are making moves in an already very tough and talented division to continuously improve, we cant sit on our hand and sign a couple guys that make 1mm that nearly no one has heard of.. see Damien Brunner. Amongst other bums in the past handful of years.

yeah. Which is why we HAVENT BEEN SITTING ON OUR HANDS. We just offered a big contract to the TOP UFA THIS YEAR, we did the same thing last year AND SIGNED HIM and we tried to trade our 2nd overall pick for Tkachuk.

Can we kill this stupid "sit on our hands" narrative? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

We’re closer to New Jersey than most parts of Staten Island. More often than not if we are going shopping or to a restaurant, it’s Jersey. The beach, DEFINITELY Jersey. 

I like where I am and it makes no sense to move when both of our jobs and all of my daughter’s friends are here, but there are plenty of places in NJ I would consider. 

I also lived in SI for the first 10 years of my life, heartland village.  Am guessing you’re not too far from the outerbridge.  Whenever I drive back to see family and I get to the outerbridge I know the drive is almost done which is such a great feeling.  Despise driving back to LI.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bottom line is this, he tried to force his way to Philly, didn't work. We've seen players do the same with the Rags. Who's forcing their way to the Devils? 

You can't have a league where one set of teams has good players flocking to them, and another team has the same players shunning them even when they're offered better deals. It's one thing if the Devils didn't have the $, they do. It shouldn't be so easy for some teams and almost impossible for others to obtain players and improve. The deck is stacked way against us even when we have $ and try to improve. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well that's fine

But again, it's fine but just don't be the same guy sh!tting on Colombus saying similar things. Cause over there, there's certainly someone saying the same thing about you and people saying the same thing

I really don’t care what anyone from Ohio says about NJ. When you live in a glass house that could take up a city block like those people do, it’s best not to opine. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

I also lived in SI for the first 10 years of my life, heartland village.  Am guessing you’re not too far from the outerbridge.  Whenever I drive back to see family and I get to the outerbridge I know the drive is almost done which is such a great feeling.  Despise driving back to LI.

As close as close can be, Tottenville. Grew up in Pleasant Plains which is equally as close to the Outerbridge. 

Heartland Bagels are still among the best, although I don’t always go to the original, since they opened a closer one in Rossville. 

I drive to Long Island only when forced. My wife has a couple distant family members, the “funerals only” type at this point. And rare occasions for work. No other reason to do it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CarpathianForest said:

Thing that sucks is if Jack goes down, if Blackwood goes down, if Vanecek goes down we can basically write off the season.

 

Our situation is that precarious

I’m not sure many teams would withstand the loss of their best player and both goalies. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, '7' said:

Bottom line is this, he tried to force his way to Philly, didn't work. We've seen players do the same with the Rags. Who's forcing their way to the Devils? 

You can't have a league where one set of teams has good players flocking to them, and another team has the same players shunning them even when they're offered better deals. It's one thing if the Devils didn't have the $, they do. It shouldn't be so easy for some teams and almost impossible for others to obtain players and improve. The deck is stacked way against us even when we have $ and try to improve. 

You can't force anyone to go to teams for parity. If this team wants to start becoming attractive they need to start with their front office and coaching staff. Ruff should have been shown the door after this season and the owners should have put Fitz on notice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

Thing that sucks is if Jack goes down, if Blackwood goes down, if Vanecek goes down we can basically write off the season.

 

Our situation is that precarious

That’s exactly what happened last season. Blackwood had problems recovering from surgery,  Bernier got hurt, and Jack got hurt. The season was over 2 weeks in. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Throw a 1st or two in there and maybe they listen.

Really think the time to make the deal was with the 2OA - timing just didn't work out.

Was it timing or no interest in giving up assets?  I’m just upset that nothing was done to move the needle.  Montreal, Ottawa, Buffalo and Columbus are all better than last season.  The Rangers, Lightning, Leafs, Bruins, Caps and, possibly, the Islanders were all better than the Devils last season.  Even if, they sign Bratt, are the Devils better? It all depends on player development.  If players don’t pan out, we are looking at another retool next season with all the UFAs. A retool has been mentioned by many analysts regarding the cap space and contracts.  I think Fitz is done after this year and we will have to endure another rebuild.  All we have been getting from this organization and this ownership is lip service about wanting to win now, but I don’t think they care, as much as, they care about profits.  Every season we are just above the floor and we are told it is a great asset, but for what?  Sorry for the rant, but I expect something to happen and maybe it will, but I have my doubts.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m not sure many teams would withstand the loss of their best player and both goalies. 

And most teams have competent gms who don't sign injured goalies and 3rd string AHL netminders as a backup plan

Edited by CarpathianForest
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.