2022 Free Agency thread

MadDog2020

8 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

That’s fine but I feel like you’re holding him to the standard of the contract we offered Gaudreau.   He obviously an immediate upgrade but it if doesn’t work out, 5 years x 6 million for a guy who has a reputation for stepping up in the playoffs is easily movable and probably doesn’t hamstring us in the future.  

In a way maybe. For me it is more that Palat is a player that a team who either just missed the playoffs or got bounced in the first round goes out and pays 6mil for because it is worth it for them to overpay to get to that next step/get that extra push. NJ is about as far from being in that position as you can get, and thus I just don't think he was the move. Time will tell. I obviously hope he has a career year and makes me look like a toolbox.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Palat is a rich man’s Blake Coleman, with slightly better hands and probably a less smokeshow wife. 

He hits, hustles, drives play, wins puck battles, backchecks, plays solid defense, and can be an absolute motherfvcking dog in front of the net. He is everything the Devils are missing in their top-6. 

What you describe here isn't worth 6 million a year. Especially at age 31. He'll max out at 40 points outside of Tampa. Not what anyone should want in the top 6. You guys can polish this turd all you want. He has zero chance of living up to this contract. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

It was a near 30 year run. How much longer was it supposed to last? When you’re in the playoffs every single year with one of the greatest goalies in the world, of course you go all in every year. You ride that wave till it’s gone

Well i don't agree with this at all, this is precisely how you wrecklessly run a team into the ground. At some point you have to accept that you're not winning with your current core and flip assets and reload while they have value that can jumpstart a rebuild. If you don't its going to be a very long and painful process. Which we've been in.

The Pens are making the same mistake now. Vegas is making the same mistake now too. They are going all-in and not looking for the future at all.

And well with Lou that's the thing. It could have been a lot longer than 30 years if he didn't let all those top guys in their prime walk for nothing. Or god knows if we could have won more cups if we didn't lose guys like Nieds, Rafalski, etc etc when we did. 

And like you said "its not easy to run a team in a small market, hard to get players, etc" So its NOT a good idea to let your top players walking right into free agency at the worst possible time when their home team is waiting for them with their cheque books for example or when their brother is waiting. Most  GM historically lock up their top UFA and don't risk it. Lou risked it every single time. He even let Elias walked straight to the Rangers

Edited by SterioDesign

There is no way some of the people on this post are really fans of this team, or they just love being miserable 24 hours a day, maybe both. 

What do you want as a Devils fan?

Me, I want Stanley Cups, I don't care about being average or competing, the ultimate goal has to be winning championships in all sports, and there are levels you have to reach to get to that final goal.

I don't love the average for Palat, but looking online it seems from the stats people he was expected to get a 5.9 average on his salary, so they did not overpay at all.

The length is most likely not going to look great the last couple of years, and it is a concern, you simply can't deny that.

Now, how do you win titles?

You first need to learn how to freaking win, and this team before this signing did not have 1 player on it who had any idea how to do that, and certainly not during the playoffs. 

As much as I wanted JG, he knows nothing about winning either, this guy they just signed, yeah he's been through some sh!t the last 3 years that no one else has around here.

If Palat can be the locker room guy who brings what he does on the ice, and help this team learn how to win during the regular season, & especially in the playoffs, that is invaluable.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well i don't agree with this at all, this is precisely how you wrecklessly run a team into the ground. At some point you have to accept that you're not winning with your current core and flip assets and reload while they have value that can jumpstart a rebuild. If you don't its going to be a very long and painful process. Which we've been in.

The Pens are making the same mistake now. Vegas is making the same mistake now too. They are going all-in and not looking for the future at all.

And well with Lou that's the thing. It could have been a lot longer than 30 years if he didn't let all those top guys in their prime walk for nothing. Or god knows if we could have won more cups if we didn't lose guys like Nieds, Rafalski, etc etc when we did. 

There’s maybe 2-3 GMs who have had a run like that in the expansion era and your problem is that it maybe could have been longer. Pittsburgh isn’t going through a rebuild with Crosby, Tampa won’t go through one with Vasilevskiy, and we weren’t going to go through one with Brodeur. When you build a perennial playoff team, the point is to win cups. Full stop. You swing for the fences because you don’t know when you’ll be in that position again. If Fitz manages to build this team into a contender he sure as hell better not do some herky jerky half ass rebuild after 3-4 playoff appearances for fear of losing a free agent or two. That’s small ball stuff.

Colorado climbed the mountain for years. They didn’t hem and haw about maybe losing Kuemper or Kadri or Burakovsky for nothing. They went for it when they had a shot. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NJD16W said:

What you describe here isn't worth 6 million a year. Especially at age 31. He'll max out at 40 points outside of Tampa. Not what anyone should want in the top 6. You guys can polish this turd all you want. He has zero chance of living up to this contract. 

If you paid any attention to any of the teams who win cups, you’d see that there’s a lot more to winning than points. You need guys like Palat and our locker room could use a guy who has been to the top of the mountain. Is it a small overpay? Sure. But we had 26 million in cap space. It isn’t going to hurt us. He’ll be gone before Bratt, Hughes, Nico, etc need contracts again. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Imagine passing on signing an experienced top six forward (which we needed) for nothing but money because we 'might' be able to trade for a Thachuk or Tarasenko that 'could' re-sign.

Arguably passing up a bird in the hand hurt when the Devils missed out on some other good FA values at forward waiting on Gaudreau, but whatever.  At least they are actually trying to take the next step here.

That post sums up the day.

3 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

If you paid any attention to any of the teams who win cups, you’d see that there’s a lot more to winning than points. You need guys like Palat and our locker room could use a guy who has been to the top of the mountain. Is it a small overpay? Sure. But we had 26 million in cap space. It isn’t going to hurt us. He’ll be gone before Bratt, Hughes, Nico, etc need contracts again. 

And there will be enough to resign a Dman or two next year.  Hopefully, a D prospect pans out for when the time comes.  It will make things a lot easier next off-season.

30 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

And like you said "its not easy to run a team in a small market, hard to get players, etc" So its NOT a good idea to let your top players walking right into free agency at the worst possible time when their home team is waiting for them with their cheque books for example or when their brother is waiting. Most  GM historically lock up their top UFA and don't risk it. Lou risked it every single time. He even let Elias walked straight to the Rangers

Dude, he had Parise and Kovy for a 2012 playoff run.  They left us high and dry.  It’s not like he didn’t offer Paris’s the money or put Koch on a plane to Russia.  2014 new owners come in and wanted to go a different direction.  They want an exciting, fast, goal scoring team that plays a transition game.  Lou wanted to maintain full control and the owners did not want that.  By the time he left, he was already rebuilding.  Yes after 30 years the cupboards were dry.  It happens to all great teams, Patriots, Red Wings, Ducks, Sharks, Blackhawks.  Next will be Bruins, Pens, Caps, etc.  That’s how it goes.  What matters is, what does the next guy do to rebuild.  Sakic and Yzerman are great examples of the next crop of great GMs.  Can Fitz get to that level?  It Yzerman 8 years.  How long did it take Sakic?

4 hours ago, CarpathianForest said:

There's no way JG considers living in Ohio better. Besides Cleveland, parts if Cincy and Columbus, Ohio is full of hillbillys and sh!t kickers. It's basically Kentucky and West Virginia outside those three cities

What a dumb fvcking post (a common theme for you). “Outside of the state’s 3 biggest cities (where the majority of it’s 11+ million people live) it’s just a bunch of rubes!” Lol

Also, most people that sh!t on Kentucky have never even been there. It’s a beautiful state, and Northern KY is basically part of Cincy for all intents and purposes. 

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I really don’t care what anyone from Ohio says about NJ. When you live in a glass house that could take up a city block like those people do, it’s best not to opine. 

Ohio is the 7th most populated state in the country. It’s hardly some flyover state that no one wants to live in. Just like you don’t like people sh!tting on NJ - you should probably not judge somewhere you likely haven’t even been, or know much about…

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

There’s maybe 2-3 GMs who have had a run like that in the expansion era and your problem is that it maybe could have been longer. Pittsburgh isn’t going through a rebuild with Crosby, Tampa won’t go through one with Vasilevskiy, and we weren’t going to go through one with Brodeur. When you build a perennial playoff team, the point is to win cups. Full stop. You swing for the fences because you don’t know when you’ll be in that position again. If Fitz manages to build this team into a contender he sure as hell better not do some herky jerky half ass rebuild after 3-4 playoff appearances for fear of losing a free agent or two. That’s small ball stuff.

Colorado climbed the mountain for years. They didn’t hem and haw about maybe losing Kuemper or Kadri or Burakovsky for nothing. They went for it when they had a shot. 

Great post, and obviously, I could not have said it any better.  That a great run and I will always look back at all the wins and even the loses against the Ranger in 94, the lose to the Avalanche in the cup finals and, even, the last gasp, the 2012 cup run.  Then there were the great picks, trades, UFAs and undrafted signings, that contributed to cups.  Yeah, he wasn’t perfect, but no one is.

Elias, Sykora, Guerin, Rolston, Broduer, Stevens, Niedermayer, Madden, Rafalski, Greene, Holik, Arnott, Langenbrunner, Gomez, Lemieux, etc.

7 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Top-3 protected. I want Tkachuk badly- but the two things I won’t do: I won’t trade Luke Hughes, and I will not trade that 2023 1st completely unprotected. It’s gotta be top-3 protected. Has to be. 

If you want this player,they will ask unprotected.

Mother of God, Palat, Brunnet,no Gaudreau. Perfect, Fitz. This is what I asked. Would be great to sign bottom pair right defenseman, but Im satisfied. Palat is exactly what this team needs. Good smart market, good smart draft. Nemec, Casey, Brennan, Barabosha, Leddy, Vanecek! Thats perfect.

14 minutes ago, Guadana said:

If you want this player,they will ask unprotected.

Mother of God, Palat, Brunnet,no Gaudreau. Perfect, Fitz. This is what I asked. Would be great to sign bottom pair right defenseman, but Im satisfied. Palat is exactly what this team needs. Good smart market, good smart draft. Nemec, Casey, Brennan, Barabosha, Leddy, Vanecek! Thats perfect.

Yeah clearly we are the big winners of free agency. Lol! Now if we could only get Fitz to overpay for Kadri like he overpaid for Palat. We would be on our way to another top 5 pick. Can't wait to see the new 6 million dollar per year man put up 35 points a year for the next 5 seasons. What a bargain.

1 hour ago, NJD16W said:

Yeah clearly we are the big winners of free agency. Lol! Now if we could only get Fitz to overpay for Kadri like he overpaid for Palat. We would be on our way to another top 5 pick. Can't wait to see the new 6 million dollar per year man put up 35 points a year for the next 5 seasons. What a bargain.

If you thought that Gaudreau is our last piece, you can do think this way.

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

What a terrible example. Kadri played a huge part in the Avs winning the Cup. 

And Palat was a huge part of Lightnings success. I Dont care about prima fans,  guy literally said he don't want to play under Canadian pressure.

much more I care about is a Blackwood performance next year, health of Nico and Jack, and how Brunette will affect PP. would be great to trade Smith, one if Tatar/Johnsson, sign RD, but I can live without it.

4 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

It's not that black and white and also100% possible to just.... you know... Attempt to re-sign your top players before their last season or during the last season and keep going for cups.

What stopped Lou not being a stubborn ass lowballing Niedermayer or offering him a contract the summer before his last season? or Elias? or Rafalski? or Gomez, etc etc he's always been systematically letting his top free agents walk. Waiting after the season is giving away all your leverage. There's no good answer other than "thats what Lou does, because that's what he wants" 

Well, if that's what a GM want and what fans like you want. Fine, go all-out blindly and recklessly for one last hoorah. But it will 500% drive the team into the ground.An of course there's unique scenarios when doing this is inevitable. But we can't play that game and make excuses for Lou, it's been widely reported and he admits himself doing this that way. There's no excuses. 

But when you don't win and run the team into the ground leaving nothing of value behind. At least don't go and blame the new GM stepping in and having to build something from that mess for not rebuilding the team fast enough. It's SO disconnected from reality. 

There's literally nothing more frustrating to read than this. 

7 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Can some of you guys shut up now? Like... please? 

Wait, Fitz wasn’t done and signed someone else? No way!!

Sure, he’s not the marquee name but there were exactly two of those available. This is a solid pickup that should help the team. He “only” scores 55 points a year which would have made him 4th on your team behind Bratt, Hischier and Hughes last year. 

• Like 2

I’m fine with signing secondary players.

What the Devils need most is Jack, Nico and Dougie staying healthy for the entire season.

That will go a long way for the Devils being a good team or not.

Hopefully some of the young players become good also.

Oh, the goalies have to be healthy too. 😁

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I’m fine with signing secondary players.

What the Devils need most is Jack, Nico and Dougie staying healthy for the entire season.

That will go a long way for the Devils being a good team or not.

Hopefully some of the young players become good also.

Oh, the goalies have to be healthy too. 😁

I'd kill for our team to just be relatively healthy for 82 freaking games...

...well and our coaches to be halfway competent.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Ohio is the 7th most populated state in the country. It’s hardly some flyover state that no one wants to live in. Just like you don’t like people sh!tting on NJ - you should probably not judge somewhere you likely haven’t even been, or know much about…

You’re 100% right. I posted a lot of sh!t yesterday out of frustration with all the negativity. I’ve been to Ohio a couple of times and I enjoyed it both times. So I apologize for the harsh words about your home state. 

• Like 1

Only one thing annoyed me about yesterday...

Fitz, if you need a Kid Ray fix, can't you just dig out your VCR and Lean On Me VHS tape and have at it?  I know he's just a spare part, but...MASON GEERSTEN?!  Happy Gilmore might bring more to a hockey team than he does.

But other than that, I thought yesterday (and the offseason so far) has been pretty good, really.  Easy to forget about the players from within who will be joining the team very soon.  I like Palat and think he'll do well here, especially in helping to shore up what needs shoring up.  And even if he's a little overpaid, it's not going to hurt the Devils.  Johnsson, Tatar, and Seves all figure to come off the books after next season.  L Hughes, Nemec, and Holtz will be on ELCs (other potential youngins like Okhotiuk) who also won't be making much could be part of things as well.  Devils shouldn't be up against the cap anytime soon.   

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Only one thing annoyed me about yesterday...

Fitz, if you need a Kid Ray fix, can't you just dig out your VCR and Lean On Me VHS tape and have at it?  I know he's just a spare part, but...MASON GEERSTEN?!  Happy Gilmore might bring more to a hockey team than he does.

But other than that, I thought yesterday (and the offseason so far) has been pretty good, really.  Easy to forget about the players from within who will be joining the team very soon.  I like Palat and think he'll do well here, especially in helping to shore up what needs shoring up.  And even if he's a little overpaid, it's not going to hurt the Devils.  Johnsson, Tatar, and Seves all figure to come off the books after next season.  L Hughes, Nemec, and Holtz will be on ELCs (other potential youngins like Okhotiuk) who also won't be making much could be part of things as well.  Devils shouldn't be up against the cap anytime soon.   

When I saw his name yesterday I thought it must have been a joke. I have no idea what Fitz sees in him. Maybe he is a really nice guy or something. But surely we could use that money for someone like Balcers from San Jose who might actually do something.