2022 Free Agency thread

MadDog2020

Also fair to point out that Fitz has ALL of his draft picks to work with.  We could still see a "2nd and 3rd or 4th for established NHLer" kind of move...hell, such a move would probably make sense, as there's a lot of kids in the system right now.  Devils could afford to move a couple of picks and not have it hurt them.

1 minute ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

When I saw his name yesterday I thought it must have been a joke. I have no idea what Fitz sees in him. Maybe he is a really nice guy or something. But surely we could use that money for someone like Balcers from San Jose who might actually do something. 

Yeah the whole "Kid Ray" thing was amusing for one season.  There's just no reason to keep him around...like you said, I'm sorry, there's gotta be SOMEONE who can bring more than Geertsen does.  

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah the whole "Kid Ray" thing was amusing for one season.  There's just no reason to keep him around...like you said, I'm sorry, there's gotta be SOMEONE who can bring more than Geertsen does.  

What about all of the points he brings?

50357F33-74A7-4766-9344-E952ECC38E1C.gif

• Haha 1

I prefer aj greer over geersten, but im ok with. He is more a meme than a bad player for his role. Pretty average goon/13th/14F. Hooe we will not waive Zetterlund or someone like him to save the Gersteen. Studenic and Wedge were not what devils need  but they were better. Zetrerlund could be a guy what devils need in. 

I believe some nhl teams like rangers will be better in the next three years, at least in playoff, but im happy with what we have now. If vanecek and experienced palat are good, its better than bad vanecek and good gaudreau. Both deals of JG and Palat will end in the same age. Palat us what thus squad need - good skating, clutch, board battling, rebounds, experience. I believe he have 3 may be 4 years in the tank. After that ltir him.

Money is still with the devils. Big names will be on the market. 

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

if johnny hockey never existed, yesterday would’ve been an incredible day for devils fans. sign a top-2 free agent forward that fits well in your top-6, trade zacha for a slightly more useful and zacha, and add a jack adams finalist to your bench all in 24 hours. 

Still a good day, plus you forgot the return of Geertsen and also the hours of entertainment from watching people melt down on this board. Couldn’t have asked for a more entertaining day. 

I can only sit and imagine what the day will portend. 

5 hours ago, NJD16W said:

Yeah clearly we are the big winners of free agency. Lol! Now if we could only get Fitz to overpay for Kadri like he overpaid for Palat. We would be on our way to another top 5 pick. Can't wait to see the new 6 million dollar per year man put up 35 points a year for the next 5 seasons. What a bargain.

Winning free agency, lol. Not what we want to be doing. The way this is being built is actually pretty dam good.  We definitely, barring a Hughes injury or netminder clusterfck won't be a lottery team again. JG has caused multiple fanbses to much emotional damage, lets use our brains pls

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

saw a couple of suggestions that maybe palat was injury prone and I wanted to shut those up real quick. In his 10 year career he’s only missed 10+ games twice. 

that’s ironman status in today’s game

He's only missed 7 games over the last three seasons.  He did miss quite a few in the four seasons before that...he played in 257 out of 328 games (he missed 20, 7, 26 and 18).  Not sure what his ailments were.  

Ondrej Palat Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

10 minutes ago, MB3 said:

saw a couple of suggestions that maybe palat was injury prone and I wanted to shut those up real quick. In his 10 year career he’s only missed 10+ games twice. 

that’s ironman status in today’s game

JG could just don't wanna play here. We can't win this.

Team with haula, palat and vanecek is much better, than it was before.

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Can we get Klingberg with the rest of the Johnny money, or close to it?

I know +/- isn't everything, but he's had the worst +/- on his team the last three seasons (-28 last season, -53 over 185 GP for those three years).  Not sure how much he'd help defensively...seems like he might be Severson with some more offense.  Would be funny to see him somehow stay in Dallas, with nASS getting to "fix" him, heh heh.  

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I know +/- isn't everything, but he's had the worst +/- on his team the last three seasons (-28 last season, -53 over 185 GP for those three years).  Not sure how much he'd help defensively...seems like he might be Severson with some more offense.  Would be funny to see him somehow stay in Dallas, with nASS getting to "fix" him, heh heh.  

Well how much does he cost, and does he make Severson expendable? If we are going to have a guy "like that", I would prefer the one with more offense. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Well how much does he cost, and does he make Severson expendable? If we are going to have a guy "like that", I would prefer the one with more offense. 

He pretty much takes Seversons spot if the Devils sign him. No point in paying them both. I still think Severson is going to look for a ton of money. 

I guess more I wonder if the Devils really need a guy like that, who yeah, provides some offense, but is also often costing his team with so many "What was THAT?!" brainfart moments.  Especially with the kids currently in the system.

In other words, do I want another (a little better offensively) Severson, especially one that would have to be locked up for a few years at least?  Don't think that I do.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I guess more I wonder if the Devils really need a guy like that, who yeah, provides some offense, but is also often costing his team with so many "What was THAT?!" brainfart moments.  Especially with the kids currently in the system.

In other words, do I want another (a little better offensively) Severson, especially one that would have to be locked up for a few years at least?  Don't think that I do.  

Kind of hoping Hamilton will be the guy to provide the offense. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Kind of hoping Hamilton will be the guy to provide the offense. 

Yeah I feel like that base is (or should be) covered.  

46 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Can we get Klingberg with the rest of the Johnny money, or close to it?

He was in discussions with the Stars again to possibly re-sign. Who knows. I thought he'd be a good fit for the Canes. Instead, they went for an aging Burns with the Sharks picking up some of the tab. 

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I feel like that base is (or should be) covered.  

I went and looked at the stats and was in disbelief that Hamilton played 62 games. It sure felt like he missed more time than that. 

4 hours ago, devlman said:

Lebrun says we offered JG $9mil+/7. With state taxes in mind, he’d make less in NJ than in Ohio. This all came down to money and wanting out of Canada. None of the family bs.

Agree 100%.  But if Lebrun's statement is true, which I have no reason to doubt, then it's a poor look on the Devils to not even matching the CBJ offer.

Personally, I think JG was trying to orchestrate his way to PHI.  That is the one and only place he wanted to play.  I think he suspected that they would move heaven and earth for him since he is a local kid, a superstar in the league, and would give them a marketable star to sell their rebuild around.  Once they backed out and made it clear they would not do what was necessary to create the cap room to sign him, he pivoted to best offer available in the Eastern Conference that was not in Canada.  If him leaving Calgary was truly about being closer to family, he would have signed with the Devils and been an hour and 45 minute drive from his childhood home.  Now he needs to take a private jet to get him in the same amount of time.

I don't begrudge him for making the right choice for his family.  But I really don't understand it unless it was purely about $$ and getting out of Canada.  CBJ is no closer to winning a cup than we are and, arguably, we have the centers that could have kept his point production where it was in Calgary for the foreseeable future.   Hopefully, the Devils will target players like Matthew Tkachuk that fit more with what we need - wingers with some jam that are tough to play against and win puck battles along the boards to open space for our smaller skilled guys.  Palat is a nice piece to add, but he doesn't make us appreciably better.    

Edited by Chuck the Duck
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I went and looked at the stats and was in disbelief that Hamilton played 62 games. It sure felt like he missed more time than that. 

That injury really threw him off...when he came back, he managed just 10 points over his last 32 GP.  That made it feel like he wasn't always out there.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MB3 said:

with the reports coming out that fitz didn’t even hear back from gaudreau’s agent, it sure seems like the devils were never even a real consideration and the majority of it was media driven.

Media was way off on this.  NYI never were real players as they didn't have the cap room.  NJD's offer was no where near the $10.5 million reported.  CBJ offer was nowhere near the $12 million that was reported.   Reports of it being between the Devils and Islanders with JG leaning to the Devils when, in reality, he had no intention of ever signing with us.  Just pure rumors and speculation reported all day long from a bunch of guys making stuff up to fill air time.  Made for an entertaining but frustrating day.

Edited by Chuck the Duck
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

If him leaving Calgary was truly about being closer to family, he would have signed with the Devils and been an hour and 45 minute drive from his childhood home.  Now he needs to take a private jet to get him in the same amount of time.

I will point out again that he IS closer to his family than he was in Calgary. I think we, as Devils fans and as hockey fans, want to construe that as "as close as possible to home" instead of "closer to home". An hour and a half flight without having to cross borders is certainly "closer to family". 

I believe he wanted to play for the Flyers, and once that didn't happen, "close enough" to family was acceptable to him. 

Technically, Columbus is closer to Salem County, NJ than Calgary.  But let's be honest, being in Columbus is basically the same as being in Calgary when it comes to his ability to see family during the grind of an NHL season.   I could be wrong, but I don't think these guys have the time to jet around the country to have dinner with mom and dad, even on an off day.  

He wanted out of Calgary and took a calculated risk that his favorite boyhood team would open enough cap space to sign him.  When that didn't occur, he took the highest offer available to him, and that was in Columbus.  It had nothing to do with being close to his family.  He just wanted to play for the Flyers and wanted out of Canada.  He accomplished one of those things.  I have no problem with his decision as its his to make.  But any BS you hear about him always wanting to play in Columbus is just that ... BS.  

• Like 1