2022 Free Agency thread

MadDog2020

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

so apparently johnny gaudreau is the guest tomorrow on spittin chiclets and there are major rumors that he talked a whole lot of sh!t about the devils organization. 

obviously don’t race to grab the pitchforks yet but if true, I hope our fanbase gives him what he deserves.

How dare he do what we have all been doing for at least the last 10 years!!

Just now, MB3 said:

I know you’re just joking but if he came out and said something sh!tty about the Devils it would be relatively unprecedented for a player to go out of his way to trash an organization that offered him north of $70 million dollars.

Correct on both counts.

Not that I give a sh!t what a d!ck cheese like Gaudreau has to say, but I have my doubts as to how much sh!t talking he did. If he says he likes CBJ’s direction better than ours, is that sh!t talking? Or is he going to say Failure Fitz has no idea what he’s doing? 

Eh, it apparently stems from RG teasing the interview, and saying “Devils fans won’t won’t to miss it.”

Chiclets gets a lot of good stuff out of former players, but I’d be pretty surprised if JG came on there and slammed the Devils for absolutely no reason. It’s probably more just him explaining why he picked CBJ ($$$). 

There will likely be some irate Devils fans when they hear CBJ outbid Fitz, but whatever. 

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

There will likely be some irate Devils fans when they hear CBJ outbid Fitz, but whatever. 

Anyone with half a brain knows this wasn’t about money. He didn’t want to come here. I hope Mason Geertsen puts him through the glass. 

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Anyone with half a brain knows this wasn’t about money. He didn’t want to come here. I hope Mason Geertsen puts him through the glass. 

Huh? It was absolutely about money lol. The whole “he didn’t want to play for his childhood team’s rival” is completely overblown. 

As far as I know CBJ had the highest offer on the table outside of Calgary. There’s absolutely no way he likes CBJ’s roster better than NJ’s. 

Edited by Nicomo

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Huh? It was absolutely about money lol. The whole “he didn’t want to play for his childhood team’s rival” is completely overblown. 

As far as I know CBJ had the highest offer on the table outside of Calgary. There’s absolutely no way he likes CBJ’s roster better than NJ’s. 

What I heard was the Devils made an offer and then Johnny’s team was out of contact with the Devils while he looked for something else. If it was about money, he would’ve come back to the Devils looking for more,  and instead it sounds like that never happened. 

He didn’t want to be here, and it wasn’t about the money. 

1 minute ago, titans04 said:

If this guy is on the ice for us we've still got major issues.

Definitely lol. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

What I heard was the Devils made an offer and then Johnny’s team was out of contact with the Devils while he looked for something else. If it was about money, he would’ve come back to the Devils looking for more,  and instead it sounds like that never happened. 

He didn’t want to be here, and it wasn’t about the money.

Unless his agent had Fitz’s absolute top dollar offer already established…

Anyway, not enough really came out of NJ’s camp to know, but it’s almost always about the money. We’ll find out tomorrow, though. 

34 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Unless his agent had Fitz’s absolute top dollar offer already established…

Anyway, not enough really came out of NJ’s camp to know, but it’s almost always about the money. We’ll find out tomorrow, though. 

I mean that’s not how you negotiate. Even if CBJ had the higher offer, they don’t call to try to get us to bid them up? Seems very unlikely that the biggest UFA available’s agent wouldn’t do that. 

We may find out tomorrow, or we may not. Depends how much he says. 

Edited by mfitz804

53 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

He most likely left more money, more term and a location closer to his home between the Calgary and NJ offers. So no it was not about money. There's places he didn't want to be and places he wanted to be. Calgary and NJ were not places he wanted to be

Just now, SterioDesign said:

He most likely left more money, more term and a location closer to his home between the Calgary and NJ offers. So no it was not about money. There's places he didn't want to be and places he wanted to be. Calgary and NJ were not places he wanted to be

We don’t even know NJ’s exact offer do we (all I’ve seen is speculation), how do you know it was more than CBJ’s? 

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

We don’t even know NJ’s exact offer do we (all I’ve seen is speculation), how do you know it was more than CBJ’s? 

I never said it was.

I said that between NJ and Calgary. If JG cared more about money, terms or closer to home. He could gotten that from either of those. He picked less money than and terms than calgary and further from home than NJ.

So it was not just about money

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I never said it was.

I said that between NJ and Calgary. If JG cared more about money, terms or closer to home. He could gotten that from either of those. He picked less money than and terms than calgary and further from home than NJ.

So it was not just about money

You keep saying he took less money without knowing it was less money (between NJ & CBJ). Again - CBJ might have been the highest non-Calgary offer. And they’re irrelevant to the discussion because he made it clear he wanted out of there.  

Anyway, let’s see what the little sh!t has to say tomorrow. 

Edited by Nicomo

Just now, Nicomo said:

You keep saying he took less money without knowing it was less money. Again - CBJ might have been the highest non-Calgary offer. And they’re irrelevant to the discussion because he made it clear he wanted out of there.  

He is saying it was t about money because Calgary would have paid him more. 

I think what we’re ignoring here is the long history of people not wanting to come to New Jersey in free agency. As much as we want to believe it was irresistible to have the opportunity to play with Jack, simple fact is, it wasn’t. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

You keep saying he took less money without knowing it was less money. Again - CBJ might have been the highest non-Calgary offer. And they’re irrelevant to the discussion because he made it clear he wanted out of there.  

Pierre Lebrun reported it was an 8 years 84 million contract that he turned down in Calgary. That's less money and less terms than 7 years 68m. I dont know what else to tell you

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

Pierre Lebrun reported it was an 8 years 84 million contract that he turned down in Calgary. That's less money and less terms than 7 years 68m. I dont know what else to tell you

He is thinking about between NJ and CBJ, you are talking about Calgary and CBJ. 

• Thanks 1

He is saying it was t about money because Calgary would have paid him more. 

I think what we’re ignoring here is the long history of people not wanting to come to New Jersey in free agency. As much as we want to believe it was irresistible to have the opportunity to play with Jack, simple fact is, it wasn’t. 

I addressed the Calgary thing above in an edit. They’re irrelevant. He wanted out of there no matter what. What I’m interested in is who offered more between NJ & CBJ.

As far as UFA’s not wanting to go to the Devils? Dougie Hamilton was last year’s Johnny Gaudreau. 

Someone posted this on Reddit, no source obviously. 

9ABD4A68-7CF8-4C15-8345-70C2C26982DF.jpeg

The ways i remember Fitz describing it, they made their offer / pitch. Then didn't hear from them either for a very long time or didn't hear back from them at all. Doesnt sound like there was a counteroffer or anything

• Like 1