2022 Free Agency thread

MadDog2020

Just now, MB3 said:

oh my god this place would fvcking burn down. 

I’m counting on it lol. 

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

The ways i remember Fitz describing it, they made their offer / pitch. Then didn't hear from them either for a very long time or didn't hear back from them at all. Doesnt sound like there was a counteroffer or anything

Same. 

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

oh my god this place would fvcking burn down. 

don't we just know there's a few members here who are...as we speak.. praying to every god knows to men.. lighting up candles... making human sacrifices... selling their souls to the Devils...etc etc just so that they get a confirmation that Fitz offer was less than Colombus and that this is the ONLY reason he picked them and not us... just so they can sh!t on Fitz more. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MB3 said:

would you rather “gaudreau says the devils were never an option and he had no interest playing there” 

or

”the owners of our sports franchise balked at adding $500k per year to acquire the most electric winger that’s ever hit the FA market.”

I can’t see the second part being true, and even if Johnny says it outright I’m not sure I would believe it. 

• Like 1

The most electric winger fr? Kovalchuk? Panarin?

Either way, I doubt someone is ready to commit to something like where they and their family will live for the next 7 years and then all of a sudden say fvck it because they can't wait a few more hours to get confirmation. What a dumb text.

Yeah the way this "text" makes no sense.

So according to it... 

It was a done deal to NJ. Assuming it took 4 hours, from noon to 4pm.

NJ offered 9.5m x 7. But Johnny wanted 10m a year.

Fitz needed the approval from the owner to get 10m a year. That took 2.5 hours for him to get it. And the fact that it says it took 2.5hours, must mean that he actually got the approval. So we can assume the offer was 10m x 7 (according to this text)

And in that time... Colombus would have called... made a 9.75m a year offer... which is 250k less than what he just asked NJ... 

And without hearing back from NJ he would have said...nah fvck it i'll sign in Colombus for 250k a year less than i just asked.

Just now, SterioDesign said:

Yeah the way this "text" makes no sense.

So according to it... 

It was a done deal to NJ. Assuming it took 4 hours, from noon to 4pm.

NJ offered 9.5m x 7. But Johnny wanted 10m a year.

Fitz needed the approval from the owner to get 10m a year. That took 2.5 hours for him to get it. And the fact that it says it took 2.5hours, must mean that he actually got the approval. So we can assume the offer was 10m x 7 (according to this text)

And in that time... Colombus would have called... made a 9.75m a year offer... which is 250k less than what he just asked NJ... 

And without hearing back from NJ he would have said...nah fvck it i'll sign in Colombus for 250k a year less than i just asked.

Yup. It’s almost like it was designed for Devils fans to be outraged. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Someone posted this on Reddit, no source obviously. 

9ABD4A68-7CF8-4C15-8345-70C2C26982DF.jpeg

There was talk that JG’s agent had the best (and maybe sole) offer from NJ and then went last minute fishing to other clubs to squeeze out a few more bucks. Enter CBJ and the rest is history. Fitz said he had his limit and had the discipline to stick to it

Edited by devlman

Someone stated it correctly by saying that JG did not want to play either in Calgary or New Jersey, after all, if he did, he would have signed in either of those two places without a hiccup.   Therefore must be more to the package in CLB that we are not talking about here - quality of life and perhaps the feel of the club.  

Did how the state of NJ handled the COVID situation have an effect of JG's long-term decision?  How about how it was handled in Canada?  

If I'm gonna sign-on to live in a place for 8 years, I better do my due diligence to make sure where I'm going to live is top notch overall -  raising kids, quality of life, healthcare, etc.  That my employer means business, has a good corporate culture. 

It's pretty apparent that the Devils do not have a good team culture - affirmed by the lack of results in the past decade.

JG made the right choice.  He will be the next Rick Nash there.

1 hour ago, Mitico12 said:

It's pretty apparent that the Devils do not have a good team culture - affirmed by the lack of results in the past decade.

JG made the right choice.  He will be the next Rick Nash there.

Wtf has CBJ done over the past decade? A single upset in the playoffs against Tampa? That’s literally it. They’ve never even made it past the 2nd round in their franchise history, and they have won their division 0 times in their 22 year existence. ZERO. 

Rick Nash also never won a goddamn thing there (other than a co-share of a Rocket Richard one year). He was actually one of my favorite players back when CBJ was my “2nd team” but to point to his career there as some paradigm of success is pretty silly. They largely wasted him, and the same thing could easily happen to Johnny Hockey.

Taylor Hall winning an MVP in NJ is far more relevant than ancient history going back to the Nash - Blue Jackets. Especially considering 2 of Hall’s main line mates from that season are still on the team, and are core pieces for the Devils going forward. 

• Like 4

Any interest in Sean Monahan ? I know he struggles recently and got some injuries... BUT... he can be add for little price now .. no ? 
(yes i'm keep digging around Calgary as it appears difficult to land Tkachuk)

JG is pretty much dead to me, except whenever the Devils are playing Columbus of course.  I don't care about his reasons for choosing the BJs, as those reasons only have to make sense to him.  Devils made him a competitive offer and he chose not to take it...that's his right.

As far as "Alternate Timelines" are concerned...had he signed here, I would've welcomed him and rooted for him of course (derrr), but also would've been nervous about how that deal would age (Devils would've gotten mostly Age 30 and beyond years, as we know...fair to say that the same can be said about Palat of course), and about the two good-but-hardly great seasons that preceded 2021-22...if he turned in roughly equivalent seasons to those here over his first two years, and the Devils weren't playing all that well, he'd be an instant whipping boy.  JG wouldn't have been a pure slamdunk kind of signing, but few are, really...and even the ones that seem to be can go sideways in a hurry.      

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MB3 said:

this does feel like asking a hot girl to marry you, her saying “ummm i’m not sure” obviously waiting for someone better to pop up and then she goes off and marries a guy who’s less attractive than you are with a worse personality than you have. 

not going to actively hope this girl dies or anything but if she pops up on facebook and got really fat and got a huge tattoo on her backfat that says PRINCESS and gets a karen cut I’ll be happy.

SD ? is that you ? 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, MB3 said:

this does feel like asking a hot girl to marry you, her saying “ummm i’m not sure” obviously waiting for someone better to pop up and then she goes off and marries a guy who’s less attractive than you are with a worse personality than you have. 

not going to actively hope this girl dies or anything but if she pops up on facebook and got really fat and got a huge tattoo on her backfat that says PRINCESS and gets a karen cut I’ll be happy.

What was that punishment, randomly stepping on a Lego once a day? I’ll take that for the duration of his contract. 

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

was a huge nothing burger. if columbus didn’t swoop in he joins the devils. since they did, he joined them. hope he watches the devils in the playoffs for the rest of his career.

Ooooh he really savaged us 🤣

Edited by MadDog2020

3 hours ago, MB3 said:

image.gif.94039f6e37cb6225edc2d48908f8b419.gif