Jump to content

2022 Free Agency thread


MadDog2020
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Guadana said:

I believe and hope Fitz is in position where he could lost good assets for free. Im talking about Graves and Sevs. But in this specific case O hope its because we will be in hunt for play off spot in the deadline period. I really don't know what I'm think about. On the one hand Sevs can bring us 1st round and/or good prospect. On the other hand boys should learn how to play the season to the end. 

 about Mulh and co, we have a lot of defensive prospects, I hope in the right moment he will find a way to trade some of some for good young power/interior forward. Sometimes teams doesn't find money for then. Hyman was a good example, whe Leafs lost him for free. Bjorkstrand is a good forward on great contract, but I understand he was traded to the west for free because Kekka didn't want to make eastern teams and especially metro teams better. Ottawa have questions with defense, and there are a lot of physical forward in their system, may be they will be interesting in some kind of trade(not for Shaq I think, but still). Even Vukojevich is mobile physical defensman who can play with the stick and help in offensive zone too. I believe devils fans don't even think about him, but gm's with bad defensive prospect pool and problems with cap situation could be interesting in him. But this is very hypothetical. I just wait when Fitz will  find a partner for the deal and pull the trigger. 

Find some centers would be great too. Schlaine, Baumgartner and Jaromir were drafted for depth center roles and didn't pan out. Hope Pytlik will find a way to re-boot his game. Good tools but he list a year of practice and it hurt him.

Well we'll see how Fitz handles Graves and Severson. Fitz learned under Shero and well, that you think Shero was a good team builder or not. He was at least good at managing assets during his Pittsburgh and Devils days. I often refer to the way he handled the Letang and J Staal contract as the perfect way in my opinion to deal with your top UFAs.

But im very encouraged about our future. We have a LOT of potential coming up and plenty of assets to dangle if there's opportunities. But also our core is very long and should be together mostly for many years. And if managed well we should only have to get rid of depth players or get a good return for future assets for them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

This is true and we're already seeing it... if and i focus on IF all our young dman do pan out... well Graves, Hughes, Severson, Siegenthaler, Hamilon, Nemec, Mukh, etc etc etc we can't keep them all.

I can see Graves and Severson both being moved at the deadline this year, especially if Nemec makes the roster and Luke Hughes is to be brought on after the college season. 

I have no idea about Muhk at this point, what’s his deal, will he be in the AHL? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I can see Graves and Severson both being moved at the deadline this year, especially if Nemec makes the roster and Luke Hughes is to be brought on after the college season. 

I have no idea about Muhk at this point, what’s his deal, will he be in the AHL? 

he's going back to the KHL this season. 

Severson i can totally see him being moved. Graves i'd like to keep him cause im not sure as of now if someone else can take his spot

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, SterioDesign said:

he's going back to the KHL this season. 

Severson i can totally see him being moved. Graves i'd like to keep him cause im not sure as of now if someone else can take his spot

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind keeping Graves, but if Nemec and Luke are going to be here, I don’t think there’s room for him, and I think we can get some asset(s) in return for him at the deadline. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind keeping Graves, but if Nemec and Luke are going to be here, I don’t think there’s room for him, and I think we can get some asset(s) in return for him at the deadline. 

Well i doubt that Luke would be put on the top line right away his spot would be on the 2nd pairing ideally for now. And so right now we have Graves on an expiring ufa contract... Siegenthaler on an expiring rfa contract, Smith for 2 years. And then like... Bahl and Okhotiuk on the left side too. So if we're going to get rid of someone. I'd still try to keep our top guy (Graves) and maybe move someone else to make room for Jack. Unless the return is really good obviously, then you can sort of take the risk.

So basically how the guys will be playing this season will dictate a LOT how things should play out. That's why im excited for this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m not saying Luke would be top line, but aI think it’s just too many guys for too few spots. The guy who is a UFA that, if Nemec and Luke both work out, we don’t need and can get a great return for.

But, of course, we could wind up with any of our top 6 defensemen getting hurt at various times and we’ll need more guys to fill in anyway. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope they will not rush Luke and Simon. Luke didn’t look like he is nhl ready when he played on WC. We have enough depth to give him one more year if he isn’t ready after year in NCAA. I’m worry to give Luke top four role right after the start. And have post AHL guys behind him. I like Okhotyuk a lot, but I don’t think it’s a fair to give him big role too. He looks ready for nhl, but it’s to much pressure on his shoulder. Especially when the team can fight for playoff spot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Guadana said:

I hope they will not rush Luke and Simon. Luke didn’t look like he is nhl ready when he played on WC. We have enough depth to give him one more year if he isn’t ready after year in NCAA. I’m worry to give Luke top four role right after the start. And have post AHL guys behind him. I like Okhotyuk a lot, but I don’t think it’s a fair to give him big role too. He looks ready for nhl, but it’s to much pressure on his shoulder. Especially when the team can fight for playoff spot. 

Yeah i was listening to interviews with Guy Boucher recently. And he was talking about guys like Palat, Point, Kilhorn, etc Those guys stayed in the AHL for awhile and even at times when the NHL team could have used them. Boucher was literally begging Yzerman to get them for him. Yzerman wouldn't budge. He wanted them to stay where they were and learn. And he clearly learned this from Detroit back in the days. Datsyuk and those guys always spent their times down there before getting the call

And it's hard to deny that it worked. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah i was listening to interviews with Guy Boucher recently. And he was talking about guys like Palat, Point, Kilhorn, etc Those guys stayed in the AHL for awhile and even at times when the NHL team could have used them. Boucher was literally begging Yzerman to get them for him. Yzerman wouldn't budge. He wanted them to stay where they were and learn. And he clearly learned this from Detroit back in the days. Datsyuk and those guys always spent their times down there before getting the call

And it's hard to deny that it worked. 

Cam and Strick on their 4 July episode also talked about guys like Makar staying in college another year and rushing them along. I think it was during the McCrimmon interview. Not that he knows a ton about development or loyalty, though, but I agree on the give them time approach.

Edited by jagknife
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Cam and Strick on their 4 July episode also talked about guys like Makar staying in college another year and rushing them along. I think it was during the McCrimmon interview. Not that he knows a ton about development or loyalty, though, but I agree on the give them time approach.

Yup Makar played 2 seasons in college and joined the Avs during the playoffs.

Which is precisely what Luke will do too. Play 2 full seasons in college.

As for joining in the playoffs.... well i guess we'll have to wait and see about that haha

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yup Makar played 2 seasons in college and joined the Avs during the playoffs.

Which is precisely what Luke will do too. Play 2 full seasons in college.

As for joining in the playoffs.... well i guess we'll have to wait and see about that haha

Optimismo my friend, it’s time for a little optimism (I hope lol)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Yup Makar played 2 seasons in college and joined the Avs during the playoffs.

Which is precisely what Luke will do too. Play 2 full seasons in college.

As for joining in the playoffs.... well i guess we'll have to wait and see about that haha

If the Devils don’t make it but Utica does, I’m sure they’ll use him there for the experience 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

Optimismo my friend, it’s time for a little optimism (I hope lol)

Don't we all.

Just like last season, i figured that IF and ONLY IF everything literally went perfectly that we may be squeeze in the wild card spot. But literally everything that could go wrong did. 

I'm a bit more optimistic than last year. But i still think that a lot of things has to go our way for that to happen.

And this is about us actually getting better but also other teams getting worst. 

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

If the Devils don’t make it but Utica does, I’m sure they’ll use him there for the experience 

Oh for sure yah. They should at the very least be pretty good this season. if not better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the things that I hope TF does after he decides what to do with Severson and maybe even Graves in the next 6 weeks is lock down Siegenthaler with a nice hopefully team friendly, 1 year early, team extension.

That trade and hopefully the Marino one could be huge future look backs in getting 2 shut down defenseman, those guys are invaluable if you want to win Cups, and they might, might have 2 of them now.

If you look at the left side with Luke arriving at the end of the year, this season is huge for Okhotiuk & Bahl, they have both now played 2 seasons in the AHL, and will one of them make a statement and take a spot on the team.

The future of the team and their cap situation could be greatly enhanced if Ok or Bahl showed out and made Graves expandable, just as I think Nemec does with Severson. If you can have young players who are on their first contracts, that really helps you out in the short and long term. 

This was especially true if they could have locked down one of the wingers they tried to attain, but even now it would make it so much easier to have 3 young D in the future eating minutes with very little Cap hits.

The same is true with Walsh, although his future is more bleak, at least with the Devils as he would have to make a huge jump and be a true difference maker with Luke & Nemec fulfilling what he could do as well as more that he has not shown he can do.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/23/2022 at 2:14 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Guess no one’s buying into Kadri’s career year last season.  He might be taking a one-year deal to try to show last year wasn’t some fluke at this rate.  

How many teams can afford him? He probably wants to stay in Colorado. But I'm not sure how. Only three million left with 1 RFA. 

https://puckpedia.com/team/colorado-avalanche

Would Calgary be interested? They'll probably flip Huberdeau next March. Unless Kadri would accept a deal with a non-contender (Det, Ana, Buf), there aren't many options. Would Ottawa consider it? Or Dallas? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/24/2022 at 9:35 AM, MadDog2020 said:

Florida’s D is garbage now. Good luck Matt (but not really).

Maybe the coaching change will help. They played such a wide open style which is fine for regular season. In the postseason, that doesn't work. The checking is tighter. It's tougher. Adding M. Tkachuk will help change the way they play.

Maurice is more defensive minded. Maybe his system can fix some of the issues. They are a bit thin after Ekblad, Forsling, Montour and Gudas. But added Staal to 3rd pair. He plays defense, but can't play more than 15 minutes. Strictly five-on-five and penalty kill. 

They also are $4 million over the cap. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Derek21 said:

How many teams can afford him? He probably wants to stay in Colorado. But I'm not sure how. Only three million left with 1 RFA. 

https://puckpedia.com/team/colorado-avalanche

Would Calgary be interested? They'll probably flip Huberdeau next March. Unless Kadri would accept a deal with a non-contender (Det, Ana, Buf), there aren't many options. Would Ottawa consider it? Or Dallas? 

Kadri's age is definitely working against him (soon to be 32).  And he's likely looking to get paid as though last season is "typical" of his performance, and long-term to boot.  Don't see anyone stepping up to do it.  I could see Lou doing it, and I think he'd be making a mistake.    

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/25/2022 at 12:57 AM, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

One of the things that I hope TF does after he decides what to do with Severson and maybe even Graves in the next 6 weeks is lock down Siegenthaler with a nice hopefully team friendly, 1 year early, team extension.

Good call.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/25/2022 at 12:57 AM, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

One of the things that I hope TF does after he decides what to do with Severson and maybe even Graves in the next 6 weeks is lock down Siegenthaler with a nice hopefully team friendly, 1 year early, team extension.

That trade and hopefully the Marino one could be huge future look backs in getting 2 shut down defenseman, those guys are invaluable if you want to win Cups, and they might, might have 2 of them now.

Fitz seems to value your opinions…tell him what to do next, heh heh.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

NHL Network is airing the phone calls that led to the signing of Gaudreau. Apparently it was Gudbranson who told them if he signed his deal Gaudreau would sign there also. 

So that’s another douchebag we can hate. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

NHL Network is airing the phone calls that led to the signing of Gaudreau. Apparently it was Gudbranson who told them if he signed his deal Gaudreau would sign there also. 

So that’s another douchebag we can hate. 

image.thumb.png.65fae6b4ac03d38a041f5863e0f5e9dd.png

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.