2022 Off-Season thread PT 2

Devilsfan118

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

What could the Devils get for Severson?

I think they could honestly get a decent haul for him at the deadline if they go that way. Nothing amazing but he’s got a pretty good reputation around the league. I remember Toronto media was drooling over him last season when there were rumors of him being available. 

So far this offseason, Fitz has:

• drafted a defenseman with Adam Fox-like upside
  • traded Zacha (who had no future with this team) for a serviceable 3C (position of need)
  • traded Smith for a more mobile and better shut down defenseman in Marino, who also gives the team excellent RD depth
  • hired Ruff's successor as associate coach, who should be a great replacement
  • signed Palat, who not only brings playoffs experience, but is exactly the type of player this team has been lacking in the top 6
  • improved the goaltending situation from being in the basement to at least league average

"Failure Fitz" is building a playoffs team. All that's left to do is lock Bratt up long term, and try to find a way to ship out Johnsson and/or Tatar, and we will be in good shape. But I think ultimately, theey probably give Tatar another shot.

Palat-Hughes-Sharangovich

Bratt-Hischier-Mercer

Tatar-Haula-Holtz/Zetterlund

Wood-Boqvist-Bastian

Siegenthaler-Hamilton

Graves-Severson

Okhotiuk-Marino

Blackwood/Vanecek

extras: McLeod, Johnsson, Smith

Third line could be a little shaky, but I honestly don't feel bad about that going into the season.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, nessus said:

• traded Zacha (who had no future with this team) for a serviceable 3C (position of need)
  • traded Smith for a more mobile and better shut down defenseman in Marino, who also gives the team excellent RD depth
  • signed Palat, who not only brings playoffs experience, but is exactly the type of player this team has been lacking in the top 6
  • improved the goaltending situation from being in the basement to at least league average

"Failure Fitz" is building a playoffs team. All that's left to do is lock Bratt up long term, and try to find a way to ship out Johnsson and/or Tatar, and we will be in good shape. But I think ultimately, theey probably give Tatar another shot.

Bratt-Hischier-Mercer

Wood-Boqvist-Bastian

Siegenthaler-Hamilton

Graves-Severson

Okhotiuk-Marino

Blackwood/Vanecek

Third line could be a little shaky, but I honestly don't feel bad about that going into the season.

I’m very nervous about wood, I don’t think he’s even skating. I wouldn’t pencil him until next year. I don’t know much about hip surgeries, but I know they’re not easy for normal people let alone hockey players. Sucks cause he‘s the exact player we need on this team.

17 minutes ago, nessus said:

Bratt-Hischier-Mercer

Wood-Boqvist-Bastian

Siegenthaler-Hamilton

Graves-Severson

Okhotiuk-Marino

Blackwood/Vanecek

If the 3rd line (as opposed to both the defense & goaltending) is our biggest question mark then we’re in pretty good shape. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nessus said:

Bratt-Hischier-Mercer

Wood-Boqvist-Bastian

Siegenthaler-Hamilton

Graves-Severson

Okhotiuk-Marino

Blackwood/Vanecek

I think Johnsson is the guy that’s gonna be moved this offseason. He just seems way easier to move than Tatar. 

Yeah Fitz has had a solid offseason, really; no complaints about anything he’s done.  I still think Ty could put it together, but the Devils got a guy who’s locked up and fills a need.  Team should be competitive next year if they get some health luck.  

• Like 1

I'd really like to see Fitz sign Graves this summer too to a long-term deal. Obviously Bratt too but i'm more focused on the D with this post.

Once we have Graves signed for sure. Siegenthaler is a RFA so it shouldnt be a problem. And once we've seen Nemec in camp. We should have a better idea of what our D will be short term and long-term.

Nemec (or maybe even another prospect) forcing its way into the lineup would be a great problem to have

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

Bratt, Vanecek and Thompson have filed for salary arbitration. Zacha has to I see.

https://www.nhlpa.com/news/1-22348/24-players-elect-salary-arbitration

Oh my god, Mangiapane is up going to arbitration. I know that you had to deal with Gaudreau and I think Tkachuk still is still RFA. Calgary is juggling a bunch here and dropped one key guy already. 

Imagine being Calgary and having to downplay a 40 goal season. "This season was a fluke statistically. Look at how much scoring there was around the league."

Edited by RizzMB30

19 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Oh my god, Mangiapane is up going to arbitration. I know that you had to deal with Gaudreau and I think Tkachuk still is still RFA. Calgary is juggling a bunch here and dropped one key guy already. 

Imagine being Calgary and having to downplay a 40 goal season. "This season was a fluke statistically. Look at how much scoring there was around the league."

That is probably verbatim what the Devils are going to say if Bratt makes it to his arbitration hearing.