2022 Off-Season thread PT 2

Devilsfan118

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It will help if they see him for more than 49 games in 2022-23.  I'd love to see the numbers he'd put up with 75+ GP.  

He needs to bulk up more. He’s still too glassy. I want him to be able to take that hit that injured his shoulder last year and get right the fvck back up. 

Edited by MadDog2020

22 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

You do know Fitz is his cousin right? There’s a connection there. Don’t just dismiss that he won’t wanna sign.

You left off my last sentence. There was definitely a bit of reverse psychology, “I’ll be glad if I’m wrong and people use this post to mock me” to that post. 

15 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It will help if they see him for more than 49 games in 2022-23.  I'd love to see the numbers he'd put up with 75+ GP.  

That would be nice, entire ELC came and went without seeing that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You left off my last sentence. There was definitely a bit of reverse psychology, “I’ll be glad if I’m wrong and people use this post to mock me” to that post. 

I saw it; I just wasn’t sure if you knew Tkachuk was related to Fitz lol

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Dude, I AM Fitz. We discuss this at the monthly meetings. 

Has that been discussed quite a bit already at previous monthly meetings?  Cause...ya know...

I have no hope they will get MT.  I did say they will not get JG, but deep down I had hope.  Not this time.  Fitz values his assets and cap space.  Yes, the cap space is down to $9.6M, and who knows what it will be when they make moves to sign Bratt, Wood, Boqvist and Thompson.  However, next off-season Fitz, if he is still GM, will have a tremendous amount of flexibility.  I think we will be looking at some trades if players, such as, Holtz, Zetterlund, Okhutyuk and Nemec can become regular NHLers.  Then there is Luke, Gritsyuk, Thompson, Foote and Bahl.  There are a couple more that I left out that could help the team.  All these players will be RFAs and help with cap space.  They are in a good spot.  I’m just rambling.  Anything could happen.  I just want to watch some live hockey!  Even if it’s preseason!  Let’s go Devils!  fvck JG!

13 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I mean , I think we already knew this , but if he has actually said to them ,"I'm not going to sign" that speeds things up a bit. 

Oh man. I wonder how much of this is American players not liking Canada's state restrictions and wanting to get out and avoid a situation where they definitely want to avoid staying there long term. Maybe taxes are playing a much larger consideration too. No state government is going to base their tax policy on making a bunch of pro athletes being attracted to the state, unfortunately.

I'm not really up for trading Bratt and for what it's worth Fitz has said that Bratt isn't on the table at the end of the season. May not be worth much if a Tkachuk is on the table. 

Part of me would say that Calgary would be asking for picks. They want to replace these guys with youth and avoid the full rebuild. 

Edited by RizzMB30

1 minute ago, RizzMB30 said:

Part of me would say that Calgary would be asking for picks. They want to replace these guys with youth and avoid the full rebuild. 

I agree with you on that, except that adding a 72 point 23 year old is kind of exactly that, replacing youth and avoiding a full rebuild, as compared to getting picks. 

If it’s picks they want, give them whatever picks it takes. 

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Uncle, even better. And yes, the league needs to discover that Jack Hughes is for real.

It's stupid, but I want the team to be so good that the Chiclets guys have to eat their words. Jack Hughes staying healthy is step one. 

• Like 1

Oh man. I wonder how much of this is American players not liking Canada's state restrictions and wanting to get out and avoid a situation where they definitely want to avoid staying there long term. Maybe taxes are playing a much larger consideration too. 

I'm not really up for trading Bratt and for what it's worth Fitz has said that Bratt isn't on the table at the end of the season. May not be worth much if a Tkachuk is on the table. 

I still think NJ is at the very least after both STL and OTT if an extension is a requirement.

If CGY does want to tear it down I would be wondering if Lindholm could be moved to wing and be an option.

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I agree with you on that, except that adding a 72 point 23 year old is kind of exactly that, replacing youth and avoiding a full rebuild, as compared to getting picks. 

If it’s picks they want, give them whatever picks it takes. 

If it takes Severson, 2023 first round, the 2nd round and a bunch of picks, I would be listening. This gives them a good chance of one of those draft picks turning out. If its Bratt-Severson for Tkachuk I'd pass or even Shango-Severson, I'd probably pass. Severson and Johnsson plus a pick or two? Yeah. I could be talked into that. 

Acquiring another left shot LW is creating a bit of a logjam and I don't think we should ship anyone who has proven they can play on the right side. 

Edited by RizzMB30

If it takes Severson, 2023 first round, the 2nd round and a bunch of picks, I would be listening. This gives them a good chance of one of those draft picks turning out. If its Bratt-Severson for Tkachuk I'd pass or even Shango-Severson, I'd probably pass. Severson and Johnsson plus a pick or two? Yeah. I could be talked into that. 

But why would they want Severson or Johnsson? Severson is 27 so that isn't a move to a younger team and Johnsson is the type of player you'd almost have to pay extra just to get rid of. The players they'd want are Bratt, Mercer, Holtz, etc with picks.

16 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Acquiring another left shot LW is creating a bit of a logjam and I don't think we should ship anyone who has proven they can play on the right side. 

So basically, you don't want to give them much of anything.

Severson is a UFA and Johnsson is as deadwood as deadwood gets.  The Flames are giving up a hell of a young player, that other teams will want too.  They've gotta get something legit back, who's young and should be locked up, along with other assets.  Bratt would fit that bill for them nicely, for starters.  Yeah, it would hurt to lose him, but how does Calgary say to their fans "Along with losing JG for no return, for MT here's a 27-year-old defensive who often maddening to watch, a guy that the Devils couldn't get rid of fast enough, and a gaggle of draft picks that may or may not pan out in a few years.  Enjoy!" 

MB3's suggestion is a lot closer.  They're gonna have to give up some good (or potentially good) pieces to land Tkachuk.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

The Devils are on the list for MT, that is all you can hope for in a situation like this.

One they are one of the few teams in the league who can do this cap wise, and having the picks plus prospects to get a deal.

Two the family situation, it is what it is, Fitz will know if they have a chance one way or another, that's something he did not really have with JG, as it's apparent, he was only signing here if no one else made him a comparable offer.

Three, they could do this without trading Jesper1, but if they offer him, that's a really fair trade back to Calgary that will be hard for other teams to match.

How do they do it without JB? You trade Severson for picks and or top prospects from other team with Calgary dictating who it is they want from said team. You trade Holtz and a Walsh, Balh, Foote some kind of combination plus those assets and your own picks, you get there eventually.

Does MT want to play for the Devils, I would say they might be his 3rd choice, but that's still pretty good when you think about it. Playing with his brother or at home, are things we can't match, but again at least Fitz will know what the truth is and he doesn't have to guess here.

What do you do if he  only wants to go home? You enter the situation and help the Blues by taking Tarasenko from them, and you still get that top winger for picks and one of the extra d and or Foote.

The Devils are in a great situation, I hope they do one of these things.

3 minutes ago, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

What do you do if he  only wants to go home? You enter the situation and help the Blues by taking Tarasenko from them, and you still get that top winger for picks and one of the extra d and or Foote.

Wow, that's quite an idea. It might take three teams being involved to get Tkachuk moved for the right price if he wants to go to only one place.

Edited by Jerrydevil

4 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Holtz 

Sharangovich 

Foote 

2023 1st (lotto protected)

2023 3rd

Is that enough to get this done? or is Moving Brat or Mercer the only option.

No that’s not enough. One of Bratt or Mercer is gonna have to be in the deal, and the 2023 1st can’t be lotto protected. Maybe top 2 protected, but certainly not completely lotto protected. 

10 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Holtz 

Sharangovich 

Foote 

2023 1st (lotto protected)

2023 3rd

Is that enough to get this done? or is Moving Brat or Mercer the only option.

If we could replace Holtz with a 2024 1st, I’d do that. 

My offer: Sharangovich, Muk, Stillman, 2023 1st (unprotected), 2024 1st.

Calgary should embrace a full on rebuild. If they do, Markstrom would be on the market.

Edited by devlman