2022 Off-Season thread PT 2

Devilsfan118

6 minutes ago, MB3 said:

They signed an assistant coach, not a new head coach. They signed someone decently far down on the list of priorities. They made a vanilla draft pick at 2OA with a guy who probably would’ve been there if the devils didn’t win the lottery. 

A “vanilla draft pick” would have been just taking Shane Wright. They swung for the fences with the upside of Nemec. 

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Since I’m pouting I’ll just come out and say it: why the fvck do we give a squirt of sh!t about Jesper Bratt? If the Devils give him $8 per I’ll stab someone.

I’m such a gigantic loser of a homer with everyone but I don’t see it at all with this guy. In his entire career he’s had one season where he looks like he belongs on the top line, and it’s coincidentally the season where THE ENTIRE LEAGUE had a breakout year.

He’s so fvcking small, he’s so fvcking easily pushed around and while it’s fun watching him make a couple of cute little dekes, who gives a rats ass when he never finds the back of the net? He disappears for 15-20 games at a time, and when he’s not scoring it’s not like he fights or hits or plays even a shrivel of passable defense. 

Tell me how I’m wrong because I want to get excited about re-signing this guy, but I just don’t… give a fvck. He’s a rich man’s Andreas Johnsson, and we’re broke as hell.

How’s the Scotch tonight, good?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

Since I’m pouting I’ll just come out and say it: why the fvck do we give a squirt of sh!t about Jesper Bratt? If the Devils give him $8 per I’ll stab someone.

I’m such a gigantic loser of a homer with everyone but I don’t see it at all with this guy. In his entire career he’s had one season where he looks like he belongs on the top line, and it’s coincidentally the season where THE ENTIRE LEAGUE had a breakout year.

He’s so fvcking small, he’s so fvcking easily pushed around and while it’s fun watching him make a couple of cute little dekes, who gives a rats ass when he never finds the back of the net? He disappears for 15-20 games at a time, and when he’s not scoring it’s not like he fights or hits or plays even a shrivel of passable defense. 

Tell me how I’m wrong because I want to get excited about re-signing this guy, but I just don’t… give a fvck. He’s a rich man’s Andreas Johnsson, and we’re broke as hell.

He did have that one fight where he stood up for Jack one of the times he got decimated along the boards….and also maybe last year was his breakout? He’s got the skill to repeat 70 points a season now.

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I speak so often in hyperbole that I don’t even know what I wrote. 

I’m a little bit happy with each of the moves the Devils made, but I’m a lot a bit sad with each of the big needle-moving moves the Devils didn’t make. And honestly, that so heavily outweighs the little baby good signings that I’m finding it difficult to get excited for next season.

Think of it this way: the big exciting moves we now know wouldn’t have been worth it. I’m glad Fitz stuck to his guns on not overpaying JG and I’m certainly glad we didn’t give Calgary the level of return they got from Florida.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Man I’m just engaging in debate and chatting with my fellow fans. If you really can’t stand me this much for FVCKS sake can you throw me on ignore? This is getting exhausting.

I do, but he quoted you so I can still read it unfortunately. Sorry my comment upset you, man.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Gaudreau just simply isn’t overpaid in today’s NHL. Palat kinda sorta is. 

I make the trade for DeBrincat 10/10 times and I probably make the trade for Tkachuk too. Blah.

I can’t disagree with your sentiment. It is disappointing not to have landed ANY of our targets. But with Tkachuk, I’m glad we didn’t give up the level Florida gave up.

However, it still feels like going into next season is yet again more hoping and praying for internal progression to carry us forth.

Debrincat is the one Fitz really could have done better with. That one stings. Fitz’ most exciting move this offseason was offloading Zacha.

Edited by devlman

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

You’re incredibly wrong, and this a REALLY bad take!

Bratt has made every player he’s played with look better, including absolute scrubs like Zacha and Gusev. He’s easily the 2nd most dynamic player on the team, and his advanced stats are fantastic. His transition game and possession numbers more than make up for lack of size or toughness.

Don’t get the “never finds the back of the net” comment either. Kid is coming off a 26 goal season despite being on a team with an absolute dog sh!t power play coached by Mark Recchi. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

You’re incredibly wrong, and this a REALLY bad take!

Bratt has made every player he’s played with look better, including absolute scrubs like Zacha and Gusev. He’s easily the 2nd most dynamic player on the team, and his advanced stats are fantastic. His transition game and possession numbers more than make up for lack of size or toughness.

Don’t get the “never finds the back of the net” comment either. Kid is coming off a 26 goal season despite being on a team with an absolute dog sh!t power play coached by Mark Recchi. 

mb3 hates my boy?! bratt is a beast and always has been. i wouldn't give him much more than palat though. and i have been his number one fan since his first or second season. even when yall were sh!ttin on him 2 years ago. 

They could of at least sh!t canned Ruff first and foremost but instead half-assed it there too. Now their best head coach is further down the bench waiting until at least a portion of another season is pissed away. There was no reason whatsoever to keep him around he's already shown enough. I also understand the feeling that babysteps after all this time are frustrating. 

Edited by titans04

5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

We’re supposed to dance in the streets because our last place team added Ondrej Palat and (hopefully at this point??) gave Jesper Bratt $8m a season after his only productive season in the national hockey league. 

help me understand how anyone is even a little bit excited for next year? 

I’m with Biz. Nobody on the planet makes my d!ck softer than the New Jersey Devils.

I wouldn’t give Bratt $8 mil. He needs to be making a little bit less than Jack. Right in between Nico and Jack is probably fair.

I’m not going to try and convince anyone that they should be excited about next season. But with Brunette over Recchi, VV in goal over guys like Gillies and Hammond, Palat in the top 6 over Tatar or Johnsson, Marino over Subban…

I’m at least somewhat hopeful ? I’ll take that after some of the dark years recently where there was literally nothing to be hopeful about. We’ve added some proven NHL players, a President’s Trophy winning coach, and if - and it’s a big “IF” - but if the kids stay healthy, and take another nice step (would it really surprise anyone if Jack is our 1st 100 point player as soon as next season?), then this team can at the very least challenge for a playoff spot. 

• Like 1

I agree that a lot of this offseason has felt like tease after tease. First Slafkovsky, then Gaudreau, and then briefly Tkachuk. The Slafkovsky one still is frustrating.

But I'll be honest, I'm still excited about the upcoming season. The defense is looking quite good right now. We can also expect to have somewhere around league average goaltending at worst. And basically every other move Fitz has made has been a good one, even if it doesn't make you jump out of your chair with excitement.

I also feel very good about Nico being a 70+ point center, ever since he recovered from that slow start post-injury. Dougie should be back to himself too. Hughes and Mercer will continue to take strides forward. And we finally have a top winger in Bratt! We should all be excited for him to be signed long term once Fitz takes care of that.

There are so many ways that this team has gotten better this offseason. It doesn't always have to be the blockbuster that makes a team significantly better.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, MB3 said:

So literally 1 hour ago you straight up said "bratt rfa is on par with hubie UFA". And Huberdeau just scored 115pts... and now you're going on about how a terrible player Jesper Bratt is?

I can't even say you're wrong... cause you said 2 things that are completely the opposite lol