2022 Off-Season thread PT 2

Devilsfan118

I'm pretty excited for the season.

We didn't add any expensive shiny new toy but we fixed a lot of problems. 

Also, the offseason is not over and we're still in a real good position to improve.

And there's a lot of potential ahead. If Holtz, Nemec, Muks and other guys surprise us and become impact players. We'd be in a real good position.

• Like 1

I just want to say it's a great thing some of you are not the GM, with some of the replies to what you would have traded for MT.

Calgary has to now sign the two pending getting older free agents or take a chance they might get hurt during the season and see their return dwindle significantly.

There is no doubt if they can't sign them and they are healthy, they will get a bigger return then MT would have gotten at the trade deadline, so the trade just in that makes sense.

That team is in a bad way though, they can't rebuild fully because they are too good, and would be in the teens, that is not a good spot to be in at all.

They need to somehow sign both of those players or get low first round picks from teams who want to try and win the cup, and what, former 1st round picks who are good prospects who teams are willing to give up on already.

If it were me, I try and sign both now, and if they turn it down, I try and do the trades now, and then you at least have a better chance to tear it down, rather than having to do so next off-season.

In terms of the Devils there is Tarasenko who still wants out of St Louis on and is now on the last year of his deal.

I call them today and try to get a deal done, I don't know if you can do Severson as part of a bigger deal there but I would see what the Blues are looking at, and see if they can match.

If he is not available, I talk to all the teams who you know would want Severson, and you see what the market value he has currently, I don't think they need to move him now, but I do think they should be finding out if that is possible.

They could find themselves in a really tricky spot if they are playing good hockey at the trade deadline, and they have to decide if they trade Severson and hurt the team, or keep him to try and make the playoffs and lose him for nothing.

I say this as I see no way he has a spot on the team after this year, so if that is the case do it when you might be able to get the most capital now, especially with a team he might have an interest in signing an extension with.

Oh and if Tarasenko is traded here, I try to sign him 3 or 4 year extension right away, I think he would fit this team perfectly.

Edited by Patrick Sundstrom Ghost
  • Like 1

One more thought, the Palat contract was not some huge overpay.

The folks online who do all the analytical stuff all said he was going to make in the high 5's based off his last contract and his performance. He signed for 6, so you're saying the Devils overpaid him by what 1 or 2 hundred thousand, that is nothing for what he brings to a young inexperienced team.

Now with the length of the deal I agree I wish it was 1 year less, but it is what it is and you have to understand that is what these type of deals look like unfortunately.

• Like 1

As fans, we’ll always be wired to want to see our teams make that big blockbuster move that makes for great banter and pumps us all up for the possibilities such a move suggests.

But Fitz has had a mostly solid offseason, with moves that simply make sense and do collectively make the team better.  And at the moment, if you’re a believer that some of the kids here are going to take steps forward (I am), Fitz should be able to sign some of them as their ELC and cheaper deals expire.  Cap situation is still good.

All this being said, we’re going to start to find out about the kid corral over these next couple of seasons…obviously I’m not expecting finished products (and maybe Fitz still makes a prospects for very good NHLer swap down the line), but we’ll see if guys like Holtz are really meant to a part of this thing…if Sharangovich is a 30 goal scorer in hiding, or a guy who begins to find his groove only when his team is playing in meaningless games.

I’m more than ready for this season to get rolling, and to see how these acquisitions help the Devils.  I’m ready to see Jack and Nico get through a year where each one plays in at least 70 games.  Ready to see if the Jesper Bratt who looked so electric and like a star in the making can keep that up.  Ready to watch Dawson Mercer prove why we’ll be glad the Devils didn’t include him in any trades.  Ready to not watch Zacha, PK, and the gaggle of “Now what?!” goalies that we saw last season.

Oh, and no more nASS.  No.  More.  nASS.  Truly addition by subtraction.

I’m ready.  Let’s goooooooooooo!  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 7

And kudos to the Flames…after losing Gaudreau for no return and having to deal Tkachuk, they were basically able to land a bigger version of JG, in Huberdeau, and also snagged a defenseman who’s put up 80 points in 134 GP over the last two years in Weegar…guys who help them right now.  If I’m a Flames fan, I’m not feeling so bad now…especially if my team can lock up Huberdeau.

• Like 2

I’m kinda shocked at  how many people were willing to give up Nemec after we just spent the playoffs drooling over Makar. I really want to see what this kid can do in a few years. Obviously not expecting Makar but he could be a huge part of this team from what some scouts and analytics people are saying

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I wouldn’t give Bratt $8 mil. He needs to be making a little bit less than Jack. Right in between Nico and Jack is probably fair.

Agreed. If Tkachuk is worth $9.5m, I think Bratt is $7.5m at best. I know we’re excited about last year, and he has played some shortened seasons, but this is a guy before last year that never put up more than 35 points. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Agreed. If Tkachuk is worth $9.5m, I think Bratt is $7.5m at best. I know we’re excited about last year, and he has played some shortened seasons, but this is a guy before last year that never put up more than 35 points. 

Yeah he should be probably be more around $6.5 million AAV based on his overall career to date, but I’m guessing between $7 - 7.5 million when it’s all said and done.  

Suck to miss out on the 3rd top line winger we were connected to this off season but happy to keep our guys. 

I wonder if Fitz makes a play for Miller now. Probably not necessarily since they got Palat to bring the veteran leadership. 

Im happy to roll with the roster we have assuming Bratt gets re-signed and Holtz is ready to play a top 6 role. 

I’ll be happy as long as we’re close to the bubble. I think 23-24 is our year to make the playoffs.

I hope Tkachuk breaks his fvcking leg now. fvck this.

And Fitz- not showing an ability to close. This is now the third guy we’ve missed out on. Unacceptable. He better get creative, or this is a lottery team again if Jack or Nico (or both) miss significant time, like they both regularly do. I’m truly pissed off. 

Edited by MadDog2020

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

And Fitz- not showing an ability to close. This is now the third guy we’ve missed out on. Unacceptable. He better get creative, or this is a lottery team again if Jack or Nico (or both) miss significant time, like they both regularly do. I’m truly pissed off. 

Lil early to be hittin the bottle!

• Haha 1

Just now, pumpkin cutter said:

Lil early to be hittin the bottle!

I’m angry. I’ve wanted Tkachuk for the last two years. You move Heaven and earth for a guy like that. And it was also the first news I got upon waking up. So forgive me if I’m low on tolerance right now lol

• Shocking 1

Going by what Florida paid to get Tkachuk I think the Bratt + Holtz + 1st+ was probably their ask. Fitz probably didn’t want to pay their ask. I’d like to see what he offered because I thought that was too much.

Could also have been as simple as Tkachuk didn’t want to play in NJ.

Edited by Jerzey

2 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Going by what Florida paid to get Tkachuk I think the Bratt + Holtz + 1st+ was probably their ask. Fitz probably didn’t want to pay their ask. I’d like to see what he offered because I thought that was too much.

If that was the ask for an extended Tkachuk and Fitz said no, I will have to be physically restrained if I ever see him on the concourse at the Rock. 

Edited by MadDog2020

Just now, Jerzey said:

probably more. and you gotta factor in the fact if he would want to sign here. I am ok with staying the course. if the team's not a bubble team this year, then major moves have to be made. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I just saw that the Panthers don’t have a 1st round pick until 2026 now. Crazy. 

I’m interested to see what the Panthers do here.   IMO, they are worse in the short term giving up the better forward along with a D man that was on their top pair.  I guess they have a lot of salary coming off the books the next few years to bolster the depth but as you mentioned, they have no 1st rounder for 4 years.   Their defense doesn’t look that good.  

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I’m interested to see what the Panthers do here.   IMO, they are worse in the short term giving up the better forward along with a D man that was on their top pair.  I guess they have a lot of salary coming off the books the next few years to bolster the depth but as you mentioned, they have no 1st rounder for 4 years.   Their defense doesn’t look that good.  

They’ll have plenty of first rounders. 

42 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Devils didn’t have a 115-point guy (still under contract to boot, albeit for a year) to offer back…they had an unsigned RFA as a potential centerpiece that the Flames may not have been nearly as high on.  Devils didn’t have the pieces to match what Florida sent…they paid up big-time.  Also, we have no idea if Tkachuk had any interest in signing here long term.  I would’ve liked Tkachuk too (who wouldn’t?), but Calgary was able to get a big-time star in return and then some.  They did a great job on their end.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Devils didn’t have a 115-point guy (still under contract to boot, albeit for a year) to offer back…they had an unsigned RFA as a potential centerpiece that the Flames may not have been nearly as high on.  Devils didn’t have the pieces to match what Florida sent…they paid up big-time.  Also, we have no idea if Tkachuk had any interest in signing here long term.  I would’ve liked Tkachuk too (who wouldn’t?), but Calgary was able to get a big-time star in return and then some.  They did a great job on their end.

This. 

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You’re not wrong, but that star that Calgary got back is a UFA next summer. 

Edited by MadDog2020

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

And we didn’t have anything comparable to offer. 

Obviously Calgary doesn’t wanna tear it all down either. This is clearly more of a retool move. Maybe Huberdeau indicated he’d sign there before the deal, who knows.