2022 Off-Season thread PT 2

Devilsfan118

11 hours ago, MB3 said:

If Frank Seravalli isn't a good source, who is?

Not him. He said about 12 mil of JG, Bratt in trade list, his trade lists were pure speculation about unsigned rfa and obvious candidates. When he worked on tv he was good, now big part if his job is cluckbait.

Kevin Weeks is pretty good for now.

Edited by Guadana

3 hours ago, Guadana said:

Not him. He said about 12 mil of JG, Bratt in trade list, his trade lists were pure speculation about unsigned rfa and obvious candidates. When he worked on tv he was good, now big part if his job is cluckbait.

Kevin Weeks is pretty good for now.

From what we're seeing as fans, I'm finding it much more plausible that Fitz has been or did float Bratt's name in trade talks, especially since contract talks are stalled.

Two years in a row of long contract struggles doesn't exactly give me a ton of confidence he wants to be here.

Bratt is a good young player that I would love to have stick around as part of the core but if Fitz can’t get him on a team friendly long term deal, I have no problem with a 1 year “prove-it” contract.  Undersized wingers coming off their breakout season isn’t something that I feel you need to overpay for.   

• Like 1

Just now, Lateralous said:

Bratt is a good young player that I would love to have stick around as part of the core but if Fitz can’t get him on a team friendly long term deal, I have no problem with a 1 year “prove-it” contract.  Undersized wingers coming off their breakout season isn’t something that I feel you need to overpay for.   

Pretty much how I feel.  I do like him, as frustrated as I could get with him when he'd either be invisible, or noticeable for the wrong reasons.  Last year was terrific and he was a major bright spot, no question, but the Devils can kick this thing down the road if they're not sure.

And even if Bratt doesn't love the arbitration process, not like it would make any sense to sulk or not give his all...he's obviously playing for a big pay day down the line.  Fully on him to prove that he can be the guy he was last year in the seasons going forward.  

I truly wonder what happened. Is Bratt just greedy?

Is Fitz actually good at getting real good value deals (honestly all the contract outside of UFAs) were great deals, but its not working with Bratt.

Is he somehow sulking deep down that he was benched and healthy scratched or something.

Is Bratt's agent making thing difficult?

Is this the end of Bratt in NJ? 

I believe this may be a bit about the cap room this season vs. next. I think we have tons next summer to sign him at higher #. Also gives Devs another season to assess what Bratt's baseline is and what he's worth. 

Not totally mad, though a bet a lot of you are. Not totally happy, a longer term would have been better. Glad it is over with. 

Edited by John Wensink

To me this is a player betting on themselves. I don't think Bratt is greedy for trying to get what he is worth or that this is some sign that he is going to want to test free agency. If Bratt sees himself as a PPG player going forward and the team is saying "You've done it once so far, we are not paying you like you are a PPG player" (which is pretty much the right thing to do from a team management standpoint) then why not take a 1 year deal. Bratt doesn't have some insane injury history that would make you (or himself) think that he is going to fall apart this year, although that is the biggest risk for him.Players only get a like a decade to make their money. The next deal he signs may be the only big pay deal he gets for his entire career.

This is it a prove it deal, and he will be an RFA again next year too.  I’m fine with this.   Do it again, and he will get paid.

Last thing anyone wants is an arbitration hearing where you leave it with hard feelings as they talk down on you as a player.

Edited by aylbert

Just now, aylbert said:

This is it a prove it deal, and he will be an RFA again next year too.  I’m fine with this.   Do it again, and he will get paid.

Same. Not sure why people are so doom and gloom. If he wants Hughes money he's gotta show it was more than a 1 season thing. He's still an RFA so he isn't going anywhere right away.

Yeah it's more or less a show me deal...so show the Devils that last year is who you can expected to be going forward, and you'll get a nice offer from them.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MB3 said:

happy it didn’t get to arbitration. nothing good comes from that. ever.

Yeah on that count alone it feels like something of a win.  

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah on that count alone it feels like something of a win.  

I have to disagree. He got one year and they basically split the difference between our arbitration figure and Bratt’s. This is the same result that an arbitrator would have given. Avoiding the arbitration and getting the same result is probably the same as the arbitration going through. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I have to disagree. He got one year and they basically split the difference between our arbitration figure and Bratt’s. This is the same result that an arbitrator would have given. Avoiding the arbitration and getting the same result is probably the same as the arbitration going through. 

I've heard that in arbitration, the team just wrecks the player and tells the arbitrator why they deserve the lowest possible figure.  It gets ugly.  And avoiding that is probably a good thing for the relationship.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jagknife said:

From what we're seeing as fans, I'm finding it much more plausible that Fitz has been or did float Bratt's name in trade talks, especially since contract talks are stalled.

Fitz’s quote on trade talks was pretty definitive:

“I can tell you unequivocally: I’ve never had Jesper Bratt on the trading block,” Fitzgerald said. “Never talked to anybody on a Jesper Bratt trade. I’m not really sure where all this comes from, but I can tell you it’s not coming from the New Jersey Devils camp.”

He could be lying through his teeth, of course. 

Just now, Crisis said:

I've heard that in arbitration, the team just wrecks the player and tells the arbitrator why they deserve the lowest possible figure.  It gets ugly.  And avoiding that is probably a good thing for the relationship.

I guess. Not like we didn’t already do it throughout the negotiations and by submitting a $4.15m offer. 

Sooooo now about $3.3 million in space left for this season...jumps up to about $7.4 million if Bernier goes on LTIR.  Next season will be a busy one for Fitz:  6 UFA and 6 RFA currently on the roster...of course some of those RFA will NOT be back.

30 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

In a way, sure, but without the player hearing why he's not worth more, and feeling like his skillset is being devalued by his own team.  Better than coming to that number with stung feelings in the mix.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

In a way, sure, but without the player hearing why he's not worth more, and feeling like his skillset is being devalued by his own team.  Better than coming to that number with stung feelings in the mix.

Again, I feel like that was already done in negotiations and with the low arbitration submission. 

As far as I am concerned he’s here, if he hasn’t signed an extension by the deadline and someone offers something good, I would consider moving him. 

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sooooo now about $3.3 million in space left for this season...jumps up to about $7.4 million if Bernier goes on LTIR.  Next season will be a busy one for Fitz:  5 UFA and 6 RFA currently on the roster...of course some of those RFA will NOT be back.

I mean, i don't think Bratt is a dumbass. He has to know why why Fitz (or any GM) wouldnt just back up the truck and give him maximum value long term based on one season. It's very obvious so i don't think he needed to hear it specifically.

There's an understanding that if you sign early long-term like we did for Jack. He knows he could have gotten a shorter deal and make more per year later. But knowing you're locked up for 8 years is also good to know for players so there's some give and take there.

The only reason Bratt wouldn't understand that is if his agent is truly a shark and truly brainwashed him or if Bratt himself is just an unreasonable guy who can't see past his own ego. 

Edited by SterioDesign