2022 Off-Season thread PT 2

Devilsfan118

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Again, I feel like that was already done in negotiations and with the low arbitration submission. 

As far as I am concerned he’s here, if he hasn’t signed an extension by the deadline and someone offers something good, I would consider moving him. 

I'm guessing that Bratt knew that was about the Devils trying to get to a number that they felt comfortable with...Fitz & Co knew that they weren't ever getting Bratt for $4.15 million (or really thought of that number as his true value), and were simply preparing themselves if this thing did indeed go to arbitration, knowing where the settlement would likely fall.  Part of the process.  But as others have noted, at least it didn't actually get to arbitration.  That's something.

But yeah, not going to pretend to know what Bratt's future with the Devils brings.  I'm open to all scenarios. 

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I mean, i don't think Bratt is a dumbass. He has to know why why Fitz (or any GM) wouldnt just back up the truck and give him maximum value long term based on one season. It's very obvious so i don't think he needed to hear it specifically.

There's an understanding that if you sign early long-term like we did for Jack. He knows he could have gotten a shorter deal and make more per year later. But knowing you're locked up for 8 years is also good to know for players so there's some give and take there.

The only reason Bratt wouldn't understand that is if his agent is truly a shark and truly brainwashed him or if Bratt himself is just an unreasonable guy who can't see past his own ego. 

I don't think anyone thinks Bratt is a dumbass...I don't even think either party is in the wrong.  Bratt (and his agent) likely wanted to cash in off this season, and wanted the opportunity in four years or so to do it again.  Fitz likely wanted to offer more term/security at the expense of AAV.  I get the feeling Fitz's offer was fair based on the full balance of Bratt's career to date.  His camp didn't think so because they wanted a deal based on 2021-22.  Obviously reached an impasse that fortunately was temporarily resolved without an arbitration hearing.

Curious to hear what both Bratt and Fitz have to say about it.  

Oh and next year's UFA/RFA list:

UFA:  Tatar (gone), Johnsson (gone), Bernier (gone), Haula, Severson, Graves

RFA:  Blackwood, Bratt (part deux), Sharangovich, McLeod (suspect he'll be gone), Boqvist, Bastian - all are arbitration-eligible except for Boqvist

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

RFA:  Blackwood, Bratt (part deux), Sharangovich, McLeod (suspect he'll be gone), Boqvist, Bastian - all are arbitration-eligible except for Boqvist

Im hoping Tatar and Johnsson doesnt even make it too next summer with us

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Im hoping Tatar and Johnsson doesnt even make it too next summer with us

You, me and every single Devils fan on the planet I suspect heh heh.  I get the feeling one of them gets moved during preseason, for little more than a bag of pucks, but that's fine.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You, me and every single Devils fan on the planet I suspect heh heh.  I get the feeling one of them gets moved during preseason, for little more than a bag of pucks, but that's fine.  

Yeah. I could honestly live with Tatar on the 3rd line or wtv. He showed that he can still score at times. But for the money he's getting i'd rather clear the capspace and have a kid instead

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah. I could honestly live with Tatar on the 3rd line or wtv. He showed that he can still score at times. But for the money he's getting i'd rather clear the capspace and have a kid instead

He really lost it quick...he had a six-year run where he put up about 25 goals per 82 GP.  Since the start of last season, he's scored 25 goals...in 126 GP.  I think he was always just stopgap insurance for Holtz...I'm pretty much assuming Holtz will be given every chance to make the Devils out of preseason, or get called up within the first month or two of the season...helping to make Tatar even more expendable than he already is.  And yeah, an ELC in the mix that will help save some coin.

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Tatar, Johnson, Bernier and Severson are gone in my estimation. Possibly Graves too. That’s a nice chunk of cap opened up. 

Blackwood’s contract or if he even returns will be up in the air until we see how things go this year. Hoping Bratt gets worked out before July 1st. I think Sharangovich, Boqvist and Bastian should be easy enough to sign. If the rumors of McLeod end up being true, be can be fired into the sun. 

42 minutes ago, MB3 said:

scott gomez said on chiclets that’s arbitration is 100% the only reason he said to his agent “field every offer you can but don’t even pick up the phone if it’s Lou.” he said you just sit at a table and listen to why the organization thinks you’re trash. bobby holik has said the same. even derek jeter almost left the yankees because of his arbitration case, and he grew up a die hard fan and had just won 4 rings in 5 years with them. 

Two guys who came back to the team later and a lifetime Yankee. If that means Bratt stays, I’m fine with that. 

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

this is the deal I hoped for and it’s the deal we should have made. Bratt wanted to be paid like he had an entire career worth of 75 point seasons. He didn’t, and the Devils didn’t budge.

Time for Guadana to call everyone who doesnt hate this move a casual know-nothing fan.

I'm calling casual fans as casual fans. Like you. Not every one who doesn't hate thus move. Because I said I'm ok with one year deal, it gives us a lot of options. Specific opinion doesn't make anyone smart, stupid, knowledgeable or casual. 

Have a good day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Tatar, Johnson, Bernier and Severson are gone in my estimation. Possibly Graves too. That’s a nice chunk of cap opened up. 

Blackwood’s contract or if he even returns will be up in the air until we see how things go this year. Hoping Bratt gets worked out before July 1st. I think Sharangovich, Boqvist and Bastian should be easy enough to sign. If the rumors of McLeod end up being true, be can be fired into the sun. 

Re:  all of the UFAs, I can definitely envision a scenario where every single one of them are gone by the start of the 2023-24 season.

Tatar, Johnson and Bernier are givens.

I can't imagine any scenario where Fitz offers Seves 5 years @ $6+ million AAV.  Not when L Hughes and Nemec will likely be on the team for good by next year (possibly even sooner).

It feels like whatever money might have been earmarked for Graves already went to Marino.  Gotta think another ELC kid (maybe it's Okhotiuk with the inside track) gets a shot to replace Graves.  I like him a lot, but not sure how many defensemen Fitz is keen on locking up full-term (with Hamilton, Siegs, and Marino already on that list).  

Haula...who knows?  Guess it depends who the Devils have from within to replace him.  If he puts up 40-50 points as a third-liner, you can do worse.  Devils would be paying for Age 32 and beyond seasons though...not ideal.  Also not like Haula's been able to stick anywhere as of late. 

36 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Re:  all of the UFAs, I can definitely envision a scenario where every single one of them are gone by the start of the 2023-24 season.

Tatar, Johnson and Bernier are givens.

I can't imagine any scenario where Fitz offers Seves 5 years @ $6+ million AAV.  Not when L Hughes and Nemec will likely be on the team for good by next year (possibly even sooner).

It feels like whatever money might have been earmarked for Graves already went to Marino.  Gotta think another ELC kid (maybe it's Okhotiuk with the inside track) gets a shot to replace Graves.  I like him a lot, but not sure how many defensemen Fitz is keen on locking up full-term (with Hamilton, Siegs, and Marino already on that list).  

Haula...who knows?  Guess it depends who the Devils have from within to replace him.  If he puts up 40-50 points as a third-liner, you can do worse.  Devils would be paying for Age 32 and beyond seasons though...not ideal.  Also not like Haula's been able to stick anywhere as of late. 

Remain to be seen how Marino and Smith do though. And how close Nemec really is.

I know you desperately want Severson off this team but he might still be better than all these guys (over the next 2-3 years) with a competent coach helping him.

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Remain to be seen how Marino and Smith do though. And how close Nemec really is.

I know you desperately want Severson off this team but he might still be better than all these guys (over the next 2-3 years) with a competent coach helping him.

I’m optimistic with Marino. I loved the trade when we made it. And knowing the cap will surely make a big jump in 2-3 years the contract shouldn’t hurt but then. I can’t see the cap being lower than $90m soon

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Severson will be on another team by then.  It doesn't have anything to do with how I feel about him; it's for the reasons I mentioned.  Devils already have three defensemen locked up.  Defensemen like Seves (even with their flaws) have value; I can't see Fitz signing him for what his future cap hit is likely going to be, so given the current state of the team (not ready to compete for a Cup in 2022-23), I'd rather see him moved for something worthwhile.  

• Like 1

Just now, jagknife said:

I’m optimistic with Marino. I loved the trade when we made it. And knowing the cap will surely make a big jump in 2-3 years the contract shouldn’t hurt but then. I can’t see the cap being lower than $90m soon

Yeah i've been reading and hearing some contradicting stuff from his time in Pittsburgh from the fans and articles/tweets i've read. So i guess we'll see what we'll be getting

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

I get the feeling Fitz is high on him too.  He signed up for five years of him, at not-insignificant dollars.  

Sucks that he didn’t get locked up long term, especially because I think he’s worth something close to Jack’s contract (FWIW, Jack is worth way more than his own contract). But I have to say that this is the second best case scenario. Great to avoid arbitration, and great that it brings him to RFA. I don’t think Bratt is unhappy here, and I think it’s clear that Fitz really wants to keep him. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MrBreeze said:

Oh the Soo are so f'n good. But the Jim's are just dandies

yeah, Jims are such fvcking beauties. 

"You can see how we're a bit bunged up here tho, right?" 
"Why not just ask the b'ys?"
"Cause I don't have 525,600 minutes!" 

Playoffs b'ys. Playoffs. 

Edited by RizzMB30

I realized today that if the Devils actually did want to sign Bratt to a huge deal (e.g. 8x8), they don't even have the cap space. Maybe the plan is to lock him up for that kind of deal during the upcoming season for once Tatar and Johnsson are off the books, and the 1 year deal was part of that plan from the start. It's possible that there really isn't and never was anything to worry about.