2022 Off-Season thread PT 2

Devilsfan118

11 minutes ago, nessus said:

I realized today that if the Devils actually did want to sign Bratt to a huge deal (e.g. 8x8), they don't even have the cap space. Maybe the plan is to lock him up for that kind of deal during the upcoming season for once Tatar and Johnsson are off the books, and the 1 year deal was part of that plan from the start. It's possible that there really isn't and never was anything to worry about.

I might agree if they just signed a 1 year deal, but Bratt filed for arbitration, and Fitz says he offered him a multi year deal. They were definitely not on the same page. 

• Like 1

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

Really not that far apart. You gotta think they’ll throw something together before Saturday 

I could see two years @ $3.4 million per.  No reason to go all that long-term with him.  

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

That’s fair, it gives him a chance to prove his hip is ok and then they can revisit a longer contract

I'm thinking they might just let him walk at that point, and find someone from within who's younger and cheaper to fill his role.  But for now, $3.4 million over two years shouldn't hurt too much from a cap standpoint...especially with at least one of Johnsson and Tatar likely to be jettisoned prior to the season (and of course Bernier's money going on LTIR). 

Two years, that's exactly what I expected...no surprises there.  Will probably be right around $3.4 million too...again, no real surprise.  It's fine.  Hit is obviously manageable Fitz decide to move him at any point.  

6 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

If this is the new gimmick, I love it. 

Beavis and Butt-Head Do America (1996) - IMDb

Just now, MB3 said:

2 years means he’s a UFA at the end, right? 

Feels like he’s a prime “trade deadline” candidate if he bounces back and has a good year and the devils aren’t contending. Teams love guys with grit, and the 2 years makes him look way more attractive (see blake coleman)

Agree, I think Miles has a 50-50 change of being here by the end of that contract, at best.  

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, MB3 said:

2 years means he’s a UFA at the end, right? 

Feels like he’s a prime “trade deadline” candidate if he bounces back and has a good year and the devils aren’t contending. Teams love guys with grit, and the 2 years makes him look way more attractive (see blake coleman)

Yes, I believe he would be a UFA after this season based on his age and time played. 

Edited by mfitz804

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Not sure if anyone else has confirmed it but Kevin Weekes delete his tweet announcing it.

Yeah guess it's not a thing just yet.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

lol at Weekesie deleting the tweet without recanting it or even saying "my bad."

us casual fans still thinking Seravalli was a legit source look so dumb. Kevin Weekes is the only real source. Kevin "the Devils are about to pull off a major trade with the Sharks" Weekes! Kevin "I'm told it's between the Devils and the Flyers for Shattenkirk" Weekes!!!! 

Great. I look forward to the three page pissing match between you and Guadana this post will undoubtedly lead to over who is a real fvcking source or not. Just let sleeping dogs fvcking lie man….

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Thanks 1

Mildly surprised, really thought he’d get two. Think I prefer one actually…just not sure where Miles’ game is right now.

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Mildly surprised, really thought he’d get two. Think I prefer one actually…just not sure where Miles’ game is right now.

To me it’s the exact situation you want a one year deal, because his game is speed and he’s coming off a hip surgery. 

I was annoyed when Parise did it, but his was a knee injury and obviously he was a completely different player. But, if Miles is looking for big bucks long term elsewhere, this deal lets us see what he has and we can go from there, and if he can’t be re-signed, maybe he gets moved at the deadline. 

Losing Wood (hehehe) would not hurt as much as when Parise left. 

• Like 1