2022 Off-Season thread PT 2

Devilsfan118

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Personally I don't know why and can't really explain it but i'm just... not feeling it. From all the research i did before that draft he was the last player in our range that i wanted. While i understand that the player he was said he could become is precisely what we need, i just don't see him achieving that based on what i've seen then

I don't know how to describe it beyond "i don't see any oomph in his game" from watching videos i didn't see that he was like real special, maybe it's subconsciously his skating that is throwing me off? I obviously could be very wrong and i sure hope to be. But i had the same gut feeling with Larsson, Josefson and a bunch of players we got that i tried to convince myself would turn the corner or produce eventhough we didn't "see it".

He did have some great goals in the AHL last year and again, i certainly hope that he's proving me wrong.

Pretty much where I am with him.  I know it was an EXTREMELY limited sample of NHL games last year and nearly enough to go on, but I just don't think "Damn, only a matter of time before this guy puts it all together!" when I watch him.  He's the kind of guy I can see us being disappointed with by the time he's 23-24.  Yeah I wasn't bullish on the pick at the time either. 

And yeah same re:  the bolded, in that I 100% want the crowd who believe in him to not only be right, but be able to rub it in our faces.  I'll happily take that over the alternative.  Devils NEED some young ELC players who can outperform their value...you need cheap young talent.  And the suddenly capped-out Devils really need it...I know the cap is only tight for this season, but with all of the players that need to be re-signed for next year (and the ones that figure to be gone and will need to be replaced), you can only dip your feet in the "Overpay for a UFA" well so many times.  Guys like Holtz and L Hughes and Nemec stepping in (and more secondary types like Zetterlund) and claiming spots will be SO crucial to keeping that cap flexibility that we've all gotten so used to having.    

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, MB3 said:

alright, so — a genie comes down and tells you that the Devils will win 3 consecutive cups behind Hart winner Jack Hughes and Norris winner Luke Hughes in the next 4 seasons. But after those 4 seasons both Hughes brothers demand a trade to the Rangers, where they go on to win 2 more cups and both retire as the undisputed two best american born players of all time, entering the HoF with a rangers plaque. 

you can either say “yes, all of that happens” or “no, none of that happens.” saying no doesn’t mean they won’t win a cup or anything, it’s just business as usual. 

EDIT: a big part of this is; you get your memory zapped after this happens so you will live through the ecstasy and then agony as it’s happening. 

Them demanding a trade to the Rags after winning cups with us would crush my soul. I’d take the business as usual scenario, please.

49 minutes ago, MB3 said:

alright, so — a genie comes down and tells you that the Devils will win 3 consecutive cups behind Hart winner Jack Hughes and Norris winner Luke Hughes in the next 4 seasons. But after those 4 seasons both Hughes brothers demand a trade to the Rangers, where they go on to win 2 more cups and both retire as the undisputed two best american born players of all time, entering the HoF with a rangers plaque. 

you can either say “yes, all of that happens” or “no, none of that happens.” saying no doesn’t mean they won’t win a cup or anything, it’s just business as usual. 

EDIT: a big part of this is; you get your memory zapped after this happens so you will live through the ecstasy and then agony as it’s happening. 

I easily take the cups.  I have such fond memories of all of the Stanley cup runs, remember where I was for all the big moments, etc.   Once the Hughes go on to break our hearts and the NYR make their runs, I can turn the TV off and totally ignore their sucess.  

The HOF thing would be stupid but so was Brodeur retiring as a Blue and not even mentioning the Devils in the initial press conference.   It is what it is.  I watch sports for the actual events, not the plaques.   

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

You are an evil genius. 

I always really liked this play from Holtz (video should start at 0:25) from last preseason. Kind of cherry picking here, but it's an example of him being more than a one-dimensional sniper. Obviously a great pass, but also very good awareness of where other players were going to be as he was turning around.

• Like 1

I think having questions about Holtz is a fair and objective place to be as Devils fans, but I don't think last season was anything but a success overall when you consider what he did in the AHL at his age.

His weaknesses are well known, but I think his playmaking ability is being slept on, he's not a shoot only kid, he's a real good passer in the offensive zone, who can make plays that turn your head and think, wow I did not know he could do that.

He works hard, his skating is something that can be approved with hard work, I like the odds of these two things leading to a much better pace when he is on the ice this season in the NHL.

His positional stuff all over the ice is something he can only approve as he learns on the job, again I don't discount his needs to improve, but I think the possibilities are he has a very good season with the Devils.

• Like 1

Sorry no news here. Didn’t want to start a new thread for this though.

But if the isles have a bad season again you have to think Lou is probably done GMing. What position do you think Marty gives him in NJ? 

Personally I think if he wants to continue working at his age we should create a space for him. I would just hope it’s more of an advisory role than a decision making role. 

1 minute ago, Jerzey said:

Sorry no news here. Didn’t want to start a new thread for this though.

But if the isles have a bad season again you have to think Lou is probably done GMing. What position do you think Marty gives him in NJ? 

Personally I think if he wants to continue working at his age we should create a space for him. I would just hope it’s more of an advisory role than a decision making role. 

Can he be the dude inside the giant head Chico Resch costume?

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Personally I think if he wants to continue working at his age we should create a space for him

The only space we need to create for Lou is in the Ring of Honor. When he’s done with the Islanders, I think he’s done as an executive.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The only space we need to create for Lou is in the Ring of Honor. When he’s done with the Islanders, I think he’s done as an executive.

Yeah 80 is kinda old. Hopefully he wants to retire but I’d let him sit in the room quietly as work gets done. 

Maybd it can just be a zoom call every other month to check in. 

42 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Yeah 80 is kinda old. Hopefully he wants to retire but I’d let him sit in the room quietly as work gets done. 

Maybd it can just be a zoom call every other month to check in. 

I don’t think Lou would be interested in that kind of position. He’s never been one to be ‘advisory council’ as it were; he wants to be the main man. Hopefully he just retires.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

He is old, but if some team think they should win it now, may be they will interest in him. 

I like his vision. It doesn't work as a long term plan in modern nhl, but as a short term - he has good understanding how to retool the team. I would say even his Jagr retooling was... some kind of "good". Team was buried by Conte, there were some unluck, and overall team was in deep hole to making retool. But I think that was a plan and he was trying to solve the problem he was asked to solve. That was a bad plan. 

I don't think we should give him any job, may be some paper work. Meh. Don't put this old man in the squad. He will influence. And I don't think his influence is what is good for this organization now.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Lou absolutely seems like the type of guy who would pass away quickly once he retired, some people are absolute workaholics and just don't know how to handle retirement. 

That’s a good point. I certainly hope that wouldn’t be the case, but Lou really does love to work; it’s hard to imagine that guy enjoying leisure time. Can you imagine Lou just relaxing with a glass of wine or a beer after finishing up a round of golf? Dude probably sleeps in his suit lol

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That’s a good point. I certainly hope that wouldn’t be the case, but Lou really does love to work; it’s hard to imagine that guy enjoying leisure time. Can you imagine Lou just relaxing with a glass of wine or a beer after finishing up a round of golf? Dude probably sleeps in his suit lol

My grandfather was like that…he did retire, but he was NEVER one to just sit around and watch TV…his idea of a fun weekend was to go to the lumberyard, buy whatever he needed, and then, say, build a new shed or add a new room onto his summer home, entirely by himself.  He was like that well into his early 80s…he was up by no later than 8 am, and always had a bunch of projects in mind for each and every day.  Yeah, some “old” people just never ever slow down.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Lou absolutely seems like the type of guy who would pass away quickly once he retired, some people are absolute workaholics and just don't know how to handle retirement. 

Most workaholics that i know are that way (that they are willing to admit it or not) to avoid having to face something they don't want to at home or in their personal lives.

This is not Lou related but just talking about workaholics in general. I suspect that's why they don't live long after they are done working cause they just can't avoid what they've been trying to avoid for decades.

A lot of very very accomplish people became very successful that way though cause they literally become obsessed with their work and put 200% in it all the time. And going back to Lou, i don't think anyone can deny that he's a control freak and simply can't stay put not feeling like he's in control. There's no way he'd ever take a job where he's just an advisor in my opinion

Edited by SterioDesign

5 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

I mean if we’re worried that he’s going to die if stops working then give the man a broom or something! Let him greet people at The Rock like it’s a Walmart.

I know we’re joking about it, but I’m not sure he is the kind of guy that would take a front office job where he just hangs around. He would want work to do.