2022 Off-Season thread PT 2

Devilsfan118

Nico was on 32 Thoughts the other day and he did a great interview.  Elliotte and Jeff started by asking him about the captaincy and how that affects his play.  They asked how he feels about his defensive prowess and Nico was saying he doesn't care about not being known for offensive numbers as long as he is feared defensively and the team has success.

The most interesting bit was the final question Elliotte asked "From a captain's perspective, who are the most low and high maintenance players to deal with?"

Said Bratt was low maintenance.  For high, he says it's Blackwood.  He doesn't hold back that he has had talks with him all season and that it was really tough for him.  Says he wants to keep the talks private but he thinks that he is going to come out and have a great season.  So yeah, fingers crossed.

All in all, Nico just exudes confidence.  Crazy to think that he is only 23 after listening to him talk.  I think he has spent a lot of time with Patrik Elias, I just get that vibe throughout the whole interview.  Good stuff though, worth the listen.  Just wish it was longer. (in b4 that's what she said)

https://podcast.sportsnet.ca/32-thoughts/

"The European Pack" - Nico starts at 37:00

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ajsgolf said:

https://www.nj.com/devils/2022/09/i-dont-regret-one-bit-of-it-martin-brodeur-finally-talks-about-his-devils-grudge-and-forgiveness-that-brief-blues-stint-and-his-gm-dreams.html?outputType=amp
Am guessing everyone has already read this but if not, what’s wrong with you? Lol kidding, but enjoy it if you haven’t yet.

Marty never played for St. Louis. I didn't realize NJ.com started writing fiction pieces. Odd choice. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ajsgolf said:

https://www.nj.com/devils/2022/09/i-dont-regret-one-bit-of-it-martin-brodeur-finally-talks-about-his-devils-grudge-and-forgiveness-that-brief-blues-stint-and-his-gm-dreams.html?outputType=amp
Am guessing everyone has already read this but if not, what’s wrong with you? Lol kidding, but enjoy it if you haven’t yet.

Love Marty, always will, but he does remind you why he was delusional in the end...did he really think he was better than Cory in his final season as a Devil, just because he had the better win%?  He just got much better goal support, but the other guy had a much higher save% and a much lower GAA.  Marty never truly realized that he didn't have much left until the very end, and that was obvious at the time...but if he needed those seven games with the Blues to prove it, so be it...as long as the Blues were willing to give him one final look, it was Marty's right to take them up on it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Love Marty, always will, but he does remind you why he was delusional in the end...did he really think he was better than Cory in his final season as a Devil, just because he had the better win%?  He just got much better goal support, but the other guy had a much higher save% and a much lower GAA.  Marty never truly realized that he didn't have much left until the very end, and that was obvious at the time...but if he needed those seven games with the Blues to prove it, so be it...as long as the Blues were willing to give him one final look, it was Marty's right to take them up on it. 

I dont fault brodeur for any of it.  He's been a number 1 goalie for the better part of 2 decades, and in his mind he thought he could still play.  You only get 1 shot at being a pro, so make the most of it for as long as you can.  

He did nothing for the blues, so who gives a sh!t.

If you could play a KIDS game, banking millions (not just hockey, all sports), wouldn't you keep it going until you absolutely can't?   

2 minutes ago, bobilly45 said:

If you could play a KIDS game, banking millions (not just hockey, all sports), wouldn't you keep it going until you absolutely can't?   

Add on top of that, if you THINK you still can, are you gonna let someone tell you that you can't? No number 1 goalie or alpha-type athlete in the world would do that. 

1 minute ago, bobilly45 said:

I dont fault brodeur for any of it.  He's been a number 1 goalie for the better part of 2 decades, and in his mind he thought he could still play.  You only get 1 shot at being a pro, so make the most of it for as long as you can.  

He did nothing for the blues, so who gives a sh!t.

Like I said, his right to keep going, especially since another team was willing to give him one more shot.  But he never seemed to realize he wasn't at his peak anymore...and sadly, he was probably the only one.  Lots of legends go out the same way, I get that, was just sad to see that happen to Marty.  Especially for a guy who really did have an insanely long peak.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Crisis said:

Nico was on 32 Thoughts the other day and he did a great interview.  Elliotte and Jeff started by asking him about the captaincy and how that affects his play.  They asked how he feels about his defensive prowess and Nico was saying he doesn't care about not being known for offensive numbers as long as he is feared defensively and the team has success.

The most interesting bit was the final question Elliotte asked "From a captain's perspective, who are the most low and high maintenance players to deal with?"

Said Bratt was low maintenance.  For high, he says it's Blackwood.  He doesn't hold back that he has had talks with him all season and that it was really tough for him.  Says he wants to keep the talks private but he thinks that he is going to come out and have a great season.  So yeah, fingers crossed.

All in all, Nico just exudes confidence.  Crazy to think that he is only 23 after listening to him talk.  I think he has spent a lot of time with Patrik Elias, I just get that vibe throughout the whole interview.  Good stuff though, worth the listen.  Just wish it was longer. (in b4 that's what she said)

"The European Pack" - Nico starts at 37:00

I definitely think we got an Elias type in Nico. Under-appreciated but I think he’s going to be one of those guys who isn’t flashy like Jack but can do the little things you need to win.

I am shocked…. SHOCKED…. to learn that Blackwood is the most high maintenance. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Like I said, his right to keep going, especially since another team was willing to give him one more shot.  But he never seemed to realize he wasn't at his peak anymore...and sadly, he was probably the only one.  Lots of legends go out the same way, I get that, was just sad to see that happen to Marty.  Especially for a guy who really did have an insanely long peak.  

@mfitz804Am a little disappointed we didn’t get something from you based off the last sentence.

5 hours ago, ajsgolf said:

Great read!

21 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

If Sean Avery ever tries to “not apologize” to him in an airport Marty should definitely tell him to go fvck one of his handbags. Or something along those lines. 

Marty’s trying to get his bag from the baggage claim carousel, Avery stands in front of him waving his hands in his face like the d!ck cheese he is so Marty can’t find his bag…

2 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

I personally don’t think the rest of us should have to suffer just because you “have to work”  that’s just me though :)

But see, I’ve trained you all to recognize these things in case I’m not here. You saw it, you identified it, but you failed to pounce. Next time someone talks about their insanely long peak, you jump right on it. 

A$$ first. 

12 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

But see, I’ve trained you all to recognize these things in case I’m not here. You saw it, you identified it, but you failed to pounce. Next time someone talks about their insanely long peak, you jump right on it. 

A$$ first. 

I think we all assumed that was gimmick infringement 

Jack did a great interview on 32 Thoughts.  It's during the "Twelve Carat Rib Injury" episode; starts at 49:00.

He talks about his brothers (obviously), makes fun of Zegras for being a NY country club boy.  He praises Nico a bunch saying he's underrated because he plays against top lines and it isn't about the numbers for him.  Plays through a lot of injuries.  He also gets into what part of his game he has been working on the most and he says his shot.  References how Matthews has that deadly toe drag snapper so I'm hoping we see Jack blast a few of those this season. 

In regards to Luke, he mentions that he is still battling the injury but should start skating next week (not sure when this was recorded).  Also mentions that he is living by himself this year and is going to bring Luke in next season.  Jack is a hype guy by nature but man, after hearing him talk about his brother's potential and having Nemec come in for them to be the 1/2 for a long time, you can't help but get an erection that last longer than 4 hours.

EDIT: Quinn also does an interview at 33:00.  It's cool to hear his perspective on Jack/Luke as well.

Edited by Crisis
  • Like 3