2022 Off-Season thread PT 2

Devilsfan118

1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

He's not wrong. We have jack sh!t to show since 03 aside from one fluke finals run a decade ago. 

I agree with him but it's not the fans, we gotta cope. I'm tired of the team and the talking heads around the NHL and MSG saying it.

5 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

He's not wrong. We have jack sh!t to show since 03 aside from one fluke finals run a decade ago. 

Not really sure what was fluke about it? That team had 2 players that were top 10 in scoring in Kovy and Elias, and Parise was top 25. They where also the only team to give LA any fight at all. They were legit good. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Not really sure what was fluke about it? That team had 2 players that were top 10 in scoring in Kovy and Elias, and Parise was top 25. They where also the only team to give LA any fight at all. They were legit good. 

Yeah even if you wanna say they were lucky to beat Florida…they took down the Flyers in five and the Rangers in six.  They were a solid team, and did have some talent.  

• Like 1

The “fluke” thing could be because, if I recall, the prior 4 years were 3 first round losses and no playoffs at all, then after a SCF run, no playoffs for 9 out of 10 years. 

Outside of the three guys mentioned, plus Henrique and Clarkson, the roster got pretty thin. 

I don’t think “fluke” is the right word, but it’s pretty weird to have a single season Finals run sandwiched in between some ehh years and some absolute sh!t years. 

53 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

In 2012 we were the Habs from last year. Things just went our way. Up until that 5 minutes major penalty.

Not even close. Again - Kovy was top 5 in scoring, Elias top 10, and Parise top 25. The Habs had a single player in the top 50 last year (Toffoli at 48). They were much more of a true fluke run. We had one of the best players on the planet in his prime in 2012. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 1

2012  was great devils team. Someone made their last run, but team was good, full enough of talent and balanced. Mtl were never close to that. Devils were mot the team of Brodeur 

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The 2012 team was a 100 point team in the regular season. Fluke my ass. 

With largely the same roster, they were terrible the season before (granted, without Parise) and the season after. 

As I mentioned, fluke isn’t the word but for a team to compete one year and the years before and after they weren’t really competitive is atypical. 

18 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

With largely the same roster, they were terrible the season before (granted, without Parise) and the season after. 

As I mentioned, fluke isn’t the word but for a team to compete one year and the years before and after they weren’t really competitive is atypical. 

The season after was also played without Parise.  Kovy had to be dragged back from Russia and though he put up pretty good numbers, he clearly had checked out.  After a hot start, Clarkson’s sudden goal-scoring ability vanished just as quickly as it has materialized.   And Brodeur’s age (as well as Hedberg’s) finally caught up with him.

Also fair to point out that the season before was undone by Lou sticking far too long with MacLean as the head coach.  If Lou pulls the trigger much earlier, that team probably makes the playoffs.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

In 2010-11, MacLean ruined everything. Lemaire came in and that team went nuts. Then DeBoer. They were clearly fine with competent coaching. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

In 2010-11, MacLean ruined everything. Lemaire came in and that team went nuts. Then DeBoer. They were clearly fine with competent coaching. 

Perhaps that bodes well for our recent coaching changes. 

• Like 1

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

I remember Lemaire saying that when he first took over, he had to spend a few weeks just getting the Devils into hockey shape.  Said he couldn’t believe how poorly conditioned that they were; hence, the Devils going 1-7 over Jacques’ first 8 games before going on that complete tear.

• Like 1

So what do we think is happening with the Bratt?

I guessing Fitz wants 6.5m x 8 ideally and that Bratt wants 7.5m or maybe he wants a shorter deal to get another few good seasons in to potentially get closer to 9.

I mean, even if you love a player. If the player and agents absolutely want to stick to a number that isn't justifiable and they won't budge. What do you do?

And i don't mind overpaying Bratt a bit but there's always a limit to that too

Bratt's agent doesn't have that many clients and Bratt is by far the best one so he's likely really pushing to cash in with him. Linus Ulmark, Gustav Forsling, Victor Berglund, Oskar Steen, Jespere Froden....... meh

45 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

4 players in the top 100. Not too bad. I’m guessing if this survey was conducted last offseason - Hamilton would have been the only Devil at the time. 

This is cool but i'm really hoping that Jack makes a huge jump in those standings this year too. 

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I guessing Fitz wants 6.5m x 8 ideally and that Bratt wants 7.5m or maybe he wants a shorter deal to get another few good seasons in to potentially get closer to 9.

I mean, even if you love a player. If the player and agents absolutely want to stick to a number that isn't justifiable and they won't budge. What do you do?

Bratt's agent doesn't have that many clients and Bratt is by far the best one so he's likely really pushing to cash in with him. Linus Ulmark, Gustav Forsling, Victor Berglund, Oskar Steen, Jespere Froden....... meh

I think it’s definitely term holding things up. Bratt probably wants 4-5 years to walk him into another big deal while he’s still in his prime. The team likely wants longer. 

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

It's up to players to keep their agents on their leashes. We literally just watched an agent blow up John Klingberg's shot at signing somewhere great for overplaying his hand. They were negotiating for over a year and he wanted to stay in Dallas. Now he's in Anaheim on a one-year deal when he could have had 5 or 6 years. 

I don't think looking at a client list is a good way to judge this. Every agent is trying to cash in, it doesn't make Bratt more unique. Bratt does stand out, but Forsling is pretty good too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

This is cool but i'm really hoping that Jack makes a huge jump in those standings this year too. 

Well, he was the #11 center on the specific position survey. 

I think he’ll easily be top 10 after this season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

who the fvck cares what fans vote though lmao. i watch barkov play ~50 games a year, probably 10 times live. he’s an all-world player but skating isn’t the reason. he’s fast but doesn’t have half the edgework of jack. 

It’s the offseason my guy. If you don’t care scroll on past it…

58 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

4 players in the top 100. Not too bad. I’m guessing if this survey was conducted last offseason - Hamilton would have been the only Devil at the time. 

I'm biased, but I think Nico is better than a lot of these players. Keller, Couturier, Kadri, Zuccarello, Kreider, Kyrou. Nico was outscored by these guys yeah, but he's a step ahead of some of those guys and especially the older ones. 

Fan survey so take with a grain of salt I'd say. The top 25 is pretty close tho imho.  

Edited by RizzMB30