2022 Off-Season thread PT 2

Devilsfan118

Gotta wonder what Taylor Hall is thinking about signing in Boston these days. You have to think their window is closing. He still has 3 years left so it isn’t that bad but I wonder if he seeks a trade, again. 

I don’t think he liked his time in NJ so I don’t think he’d want to come back here but damn he’d be pretty perfect for our lineup going forward. Timing just wasn’t right. 

4 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Gotta wonder what Taylor Hall is thinking about signing in Boston these days. You have to think their window is closing. He still has 3 years left so it isn’t that bad but I wonder if he seeks a trade, again. 

I don’t think he liked his time in NJ so I don’t think he’d want to come back here but damn he’d be pretty perfect for our lineup going forward. Timing just wasn’t right. 

As far as him possibly not liking his time here, never heard anything from him that suggested as such.  

I don't think Hall coming back here ever happens (the Devils would probably rather pay their own younger guys, than take on 3 years of $6 million AAV of an over-30 player's contract), but if it ever did, fans would have to adjust their expectations; the Taylor Hall of 2017-18 is never coming back.  If the fans are good with about 20 G, 40 A, and 60 points per 82 GP (that's about where he's been over the past three seasons), then they should be able to appreciate what Taylor Hall 2.0 could bring to the Devils.  And $6 million per is very reasonable for that kind of production.    

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Refusing to discuss a contract extension may have been an indication of it. 

He did give his agent permission to discuss an extension with the Devils.

We've been over it a bunch of times, but who knows what the hell happened there...you had the knee issue in 2018-19 that forced him to miss over a half-season's worth of games, then the team sucking both that year and the following year.  I think both sides cooled on each other, prior to the trade...Shero was probably thinking "What I am paying for, 2017-18 Hall or the guy who's been pretty good most of the rest of the time?", and Hall's camp was thinking "I'm really tired of playing for sh!tty teams, is it gonna be more of the same if I stick around?" 

I'll always believe that both sides were open to the idea of him sticking around, if every last thing hadn't gone completely wrong...which as we know, wasn't the case.  Knee, suckage, trying to determine exactly what Hall's worth was.    

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As far as him possibly not liking his time here, never heard anything from him that suggested as such.  

I don't think Hall coming back here ever happens (the Devils would probably rather pay their own younger guys, than take on 3 years of $6 million AAV of an over-30 player's contract), but if it ever did, fans would have to adjust their expectations; the Taylor Hall of 2017-18 is never coming back.  If the fans are good with about 20 G, 40 A, and 60 points per 82 GP (that's about where he's been over the past three seasons), then they should be able to appreciate what Taylor Hall 2.0 could bring to the Devils.  And $6 million per is very reasonable for that kind of production.    

I remember him doing an interview where he called out the fans for booing the team when they couldn’t score on the power play. 

Just very rare for a player to call out fans like that. It was during his final season here and it was at that moment I knew he was a goner.

It’s true though he’s probably never going to be the Hart trophy player we had again. Maybe it is best to just let that go. I’m still very hopeful Holtz is the sniper we’ve been needing. Not that Hall is a sniper.

“We’re kind of battling our own fans at this point,” Hall said. “We’re 1-for-3 on the power play and we’re getting booed. It’s a tie game and we’re getting booed. That’s a tough environment to play in sometimes, especially when you’re at home. I know when we’re playing somewhere and their fans start booing, it’s a fun environment for the away team to play in.”

“I understand the fans’ frustration,” he said. “After the game, if they’re booing because we’re losing, that’s fine. But when we’re 1-for-3 on the power play and they’re booing, it’s tough. If you’re playing at home, you want to feed off the energy of the crowd and not let that affect you but sometimes it does.”

https://www.bardown.com/taylor-hall-shared-his-candid-opinion-on-devils-fans-booing-during-loss-to-lightning-1.1390347

Edited by Jerzey

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Refusing to discuss a contract extension may have been an indication of it. 

My guess is that he decided to take a risk thinking that he could both get paid and end up on a more competitive team sooner. NJ looked to be, once again, slipping backward. He bet/gambled on himself and it didn't work out. Hindsight is a B.

Not like the Bruins are full on out of contention but he definitely ended up on a team on the other side of that hill.

1 minute ago, Jerzey said:

I remember him doing an interview where he called out the fans for booing the team when they couldn’t score on the power play. 

Just very rare for a player to call out fans like that. It was during his final season here and it was at that moment I knew he was a goner.

It’s true though he’s probably never going to be the Hart trophy player we had again. Maybe it is best to just let that go. I’m still very hopeful Holtz is the sniper we’ve been needing. Not that Hall is a sniper.

Sure, but an isolated incident like the bolded doesn't automatically equate to him being unhappy here.  But if the losing (that didn't appear to be correcting itself anytime soon) was wearing on him, that I could get that entirely.

I think if Hall was ever here, he could a useful player, just a much different one than the one who won the Hart.  And even that guy wasn't the real Hall...the question has pretty much been answered, as to whether or not that season was a anomaly.  It was.    

4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

My guess is that he decided to take a risk thinking that he could both get paid and end up on a more competitive team sooner. NJ looked to be, once again, slipping backward. He bet/gambled on himself and it didn't work out. Hindsight is a B.

Not like the Bruins are full on out of contention but he definitely ended up on a team on the other side of that hill.

And how bizarre was his time with the Sabres?  6 points over his first 3 games, then 1 goal and 13 points total over his next 34 games with Buffalo.  Obviously played MUCH better once the Bruins acquired him, but Taylor must have been wondering what the hell was in the water in Buffalo.  

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sure, but an isolated incident like the bolded doesn't automatically equate to him being unhappy here.  But if the losing (that didn't appear to be correcting itself anytime soon) was wearing on him, that I could get that entirely.

I think if Hall was ever here, he could a useful player, just a much different one than the one who won the Hart.  And even that guy wasn't the real Hall...the question has pretty much been answered, as to whether or not that season was a anomaly.  It was.    

It was the timing of the outburst that convinced me he didn’t like NJ. It was his last season here, he knew it, and he let his frustrations out. That’s how I see it at least.

Plus him signing in Buffalo, who finished behind NJ in the standings that year, was also kind of insulting to NJ. I’m guessing he signed in Buffalo knowing he’d be traded at the deadline but it was still a strange move. That was the first, and only, time he got to choose where to play and he chose a team that was worse than us.

1 minute ago, Jerzey said:

It was the timing of the outburst that convinced me he didn’t like NJ. It was his last season here, he knew it, and he let his frustrations out. That’s how I see it at least.

Plus him signing in Buffalo, who finished behind NJ in the standings that year, was also kind of insulting to NJ. I’m guessing he signed in Buffalo knowing he’d be traded at the deadline but it was still a strange move. That was the first, and only, time he got to choose where to play and he chose a team that was worse than us.

Think he thought that playing with Eichel could boost his numbers.  Made sense in theory.

Timing is everything.  I don't think it helped that anyone tracking the Coyotes was watching and likely thinking "How is it that this guy isn't moving the needle at all for that team?  Is he really worth big money?"  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And how bizarre was his time with the Sabres?  6 points over his first 3 games, then 1 goal and 13 points total over his next 34 games with Buffalo.  Obviously played MUCH better once the Bruins acquired him, but Taylor must have been wondering what the hell was in the water in Buffalo.  

Yeaaaaaa.....safe to say he and his agent did not count on that happening. In the end he gambled and missed out on his big raise/over payment but he's still well in the money.

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

Yeaaaaaa.....safe to say he and his agent did not count on that happening. In the end he gambled and missed out on his big raise/over payment but he's still well in the money.

At the very least he's living up to his current paygrade.  If he was making $9+ million, he'd be getting roasted endlessly.  

52 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He did give his agent permission to discuss an extension with the Devils.

I don’t remember that being the case, I remember him saying he wasn’t in a rush to discuss an extension and wouldn’t do it during the season, and then that he wouldn’t do it at all. I don’t recall any reports that any talks were ever had, and do recall specifically reading that Shero made no offer and Taylor’s people never discussed numbers. 

Edited by mfitz804

I do appreciate him starting his Hart Trophy reception speech by mentioning Nico and saying that it wouldn't have been possible without him.  I don't know if all wingers do that because I never watch that sh!t, but that's pretty meaningful coming from a presumptive narcissist.

Edited by Crisis

18 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t remember that being the case, I remember him saying he wasn’t in a rush to discuss an extension and wouldn’t do it during the season, and then that he wouldn’t do it at all. I don’t recall any reports that any talks were ever had, and do recall specifically reading that Shero made no offer and Taylor’s people never discussed numbers. 

Trying to find where I read that “It’s ok for my agent to discuss an extension”, and not having much luck…I know I saw it.  But not that it matters, because yeah, talks pretty much went nowhere…didn’t even truly materialize.  

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Trying to find where I read that “It’s ok for my agent to discuss an extension”, and not having much luck…I know I saw it.  But not that it matters, because yeah, talks pretty much went nowhere…didn’t even truly materialize.  

Now imagine we had paid him $9m per, he scored 61 points last year, and this year we had to not sign, or had to trade whoever, because we didn't have room under the cap...

2 hours ago, Crisis said:

Bergeron re-signed 1 year for $2.5m in salary and $2.5 in potential bonuses.  I don't know what it is, but Jeremy Jacobs must be giving those guys something on the side to sign such low cost deals.

https://www.nhl.com/bruins/news/bruins-sign-patrice-bergeron-to-one-year-contract/c-335208748

Krejci joining the party as well. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Now imagine we had paid him $9m per, he scored 61 points last year, and this year we had to not sign, or had to trade whoever, because we didn't have room under the cap...

Oh I’ve always said both parties dodged a huge bullet by him not re-signing.  If he stays, he’s forever measured by his career year.  60-65 points would be considered to be a complete failure.  

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Oh I’ve always said both parties dodged a huge bullet by him not re-signing.  If he stays, he’s forever measured by his career year.  60-65 points would be considered to be a complete failure.  

Yup. the only thing that would have been interesting would be to see if @MB3 would still be horny for him as a 60 point man rather than a 90 point man. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yup. the only thing that would have been interesting would be to see if @MB3 would still be horny for him as a 60 point man rather than a 90 point man. 

Well when the Hart goggles wear off…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Well, Bratt just scored 73 and MB3 offered exactly 0 sexual favors. So I guess we have the answer. 

Did you search that to be sure? 

Maybe he doesn’t prefer blondes. Although at least one of the Mackenzies had to be blonde.