Jump to content

2022 Off-Season thread PT 2


Devilsfan118
 Share

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I would put it in the category of being pretty awful at this point. Between the lack of good concessions, broken bathrooms, and a literal leak in the ceiling that makes them have to move people from their season-ticket seats to elsewhere in the arena, I don’t see how you can see the Rock has a nice arena at this point.

I’ve only been to 2 NHL arenas, so I don’t have a lot to compare, but I will say Nationwide (at 22 years old) is much nicer than the Rock. Great building and surrounding area.

The main positive I took away from the couple games I saw at the Rock was that the workers were all very friendly, but that obviously has nothing to do with the actual physical arena itself. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I’ve only been to 2 NHL arenas, so I don’t have a lot to compare, but I will say Nationwide (at 22 years old) is much nicer than the Rock. Great building and surrounding area.

The main positive I took away from the couple games I saw at the Rock was that the workers were all very friendly, but that obviously has nothing to do with the actual physical arena itself. 

For being a new arena, Gila River (Arizona) was quite lame. Made CAA look modern.

Prior to the renovation, First Niagara (or whatever Buffalo’s is named now) was worse than the Rock as well.

Vegas, as you would imagine, was better, and it was still being developed, concessions wise. They were parallel, ish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

No, in fact most of this board was confusing that the entire time, when they said it was bullsh!t that he wanted to be closer to home, when Columbus is in fact closer to home. 

I don't need to listen to the interview, unless you misrepresented its contents I am comfortable accepting your account. 

Not to you, stud. 

Columbus is not closer to home than Newark. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, MB3 said:

again, listen to the interview. I'm not sure why that concept is so horribly lost on everyone.

he said he wanted to be closer than calgary. the border and canadian policies gave him and his family nightmares. his parents didn't see him play a home game in 2 years. He also felt like NJ was "too close to home", he wanted to go somewhere to start a family with his wife and soon-to-be first born child where they could "forge their own path." 

No I understood that. I’m just replying to something inaccurately passed as fact.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, MB3 said:

again, listen to the interview. I'm not sure why that concept is so horribly lost on everyone.

he said he wanted to be closer than calgary. the border and canadian policies gave him and his family nightmares. his parents didn't see him play a home game in 2 years. He also felt like NJ was "too close to home", he wanted to go somewhere to start a family with his wife and soon-to-be first born child where they could "forge their own path." 

The weird thing that be brought up was when he explained that they basically have a "Open door policy" and that it might have gotten out of hand over a full year with friends and family always dropping by etc etc

But i mean... You can't just...... adjust your own self-inflicted policy? lol Communicate that you want your space to your family and friends? You will have a newborn, anyone would understand that they can't just drop by all the time haha You'd rather sign further from them... than dealing with this? lol

Anyway, it's done its done. Just a weird thing.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, devlman said:

No I understood that. I’m just replying to something inaccurately passed as fact.

No, you completely misunderstood the point and responded the exact way I was complaining about people responding lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The more and more I think about it and read up the more and more I truly am starting to think we have a serious chance to grab tkachuk. Everything happens for a reason, maybe this johnny Ohio business was a blessing having him go elsewhere, I think the majority of us here all agree tkachuk would be a much better fit that JG. Now I’m just realizing that Tom Fitzgerald is this guys uncle?! Well, that can only be positive things I have to imagine. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

The more and more I think about it and read up the more and more I truly am starting to think we have a serious chance to grab tkachuk. Everything happens for a reason, maybe this johnny Ohio business was a blessing having him go elsewhere, I think the majority of us here all agree tkachuk would be a much better fit that JG. Now I’m just realizing that Tom Fitzgerald is this guys uncle?! Well, that can only be positive things I have to imagine. 

The Devils certainly have the kids, the picks, and the cap space to make it happen (will be a little tight this year, but beyond that they should be OK, with some ELCs coming into the lineup).  It will definitely mean saying goodbye to at least one or two players that you'll hate to see leave, but Devils aren't getting Tkachuk in a fleece deal.  It's gonna cost 'em.

BUT, talk about a guy who fits a VERY specific need, and will make a killer core piece.  This team could sure as hell do a lot worse.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I just hope the Devils don’t give up the house for Tkachuk.

Can they really afford to do that?

I could most definitely see bratt or severson going the other way.. it’s going to take one of them. They can’t afford both bratt and tkachuk. Plus it will be a top end prospect and I’d have to imagine a first round pick. If it looks something like bratt(who I like but just broke out last year as opposed to a sure thing year after year with tkachuk), holtz, and the 2024 1st round pick(I’d hate to move the 2023 pick with it being a deep draft).. sign me right up.. as long as he comes with an extension obviously.. nothing gets done without an extension. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The Devils certainly have the kids, the picks, and the cap space to make it happen (will be a little tight this year, but beyond that they should be OK, with some ELCs coming into the lineup).  It will definitely mean saying goodbye to at least one or two players that you'll hate to see leave, but Devils aren't getting Tkachuk in a fleece deal.  It's gonna cost 'em.

BUT, talk about a guy who fits a VERY specific need, and will make a killer core piece.  This team could sure as hell do a lot worse.  

I imagine if were giving the Flames a nice package of youth and futures, that they'll easily accept a Johnsson or Tatar or both to facilitate the trade.  Someone has to play for them this year.   

12 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I just hope the Devils don’t give up the house for Tkachuk.

Can they really afford to do that?

After years of sucking, we do have a lot of appealing young assets we could use to make a trade. 

1 minute ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I could most definitely see bratt or severson going the other way.. it’s going to take one of them. They can’t afford both bratt and tkachuk. Plus it will be a top end prospect and I’d have to imagine a first round pick. If it looks something like bratt(who I like but just broke out last year as opposed to a sure thing year after year with tkachuk), holtz, and the 2024 1st round pick(I’d hate to move the 2023 pick with it being a deep draft).. sign me right up.. as long as he comes with an extension obviously.. nothing gets done without an extension. 

I guess it all depends on what direction Calgary wants to go here.   Are they thinking scorched earth rebuild or a retool?  I keep reading that their ownership doesn't rebuild.  I think we in good position either way because we have a ton of futures to give in the former or Jesper Bratt for the later.   If it is scorched earth, I doubt we get Tkachuk without the 2023 1st.  If its Connor Bedard protected, I'm fine with that.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I imagine if were giving the Flames a nice package of youth and futures, that they'll easily accept a Johnsson or Tatar or both to facilitate the trade.  Someone has to play for them this year.   

After years of sucking, we do have a lot of appealing young assets we could use to make a trade. 

I guess it all depends on what direction Calgary wants to go here.   Are they thinking scorched earth rebuild or a retool?  I keep reading that their ownership doesn't rebuild.  I think we in good position either way because we have a ton of futures to give in the former or Jesper Bratt for the later.   If it is scorched earth, I doubt we get Tkachuk without the 2023 1st.  If its Connor Bedard protected, I'm fine with that.    

If we get tkachuk we better not be in the running for bedard… if we are, than I just don’t know. 

Edited by 2ELIAS6
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

If we get tkachuk we better not be in the running for bedard… if we are, than I just don’t know. 

Yeah that's the thing...the Devils should NOT be a friggin' lottery pick team next year (especially if Tkachuk's in the fold), but of course, we really REALLY gotta see Jack and Nico both play 70+ games this year.  And for the team to be relatively healthy.

A huge part of me still thinks this is longshot, and that Bratt will be re-signed and kept, with some kids soon joining the team, and I'm OK with that.  But the idea of Tkachuk is intriguing as hell.       

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Ditch Tatar and Johnsson, include Severson in the trade, and we can afford both. 

Who is taking those two rocks off our hands??? Highly doubt this happens. Although, if we’re able to use severson ina. Trade scenario over bratt I’d love it, just don’t think it’s the likely scenario. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Who is taking those two rocks off our hands??? Highly doubt this happens. Although, if we’re able to use severson ina. Trade scenario over bratt I’d love it, just don’t think it’s the likely scenario. 

Someone might take them in exchange for future considerations. But you’re probably right, I think if they could be traded they would be gone. 

I also think Bratt is the more likely target for them, it would be if I were them. If it’s Severson instead, I am guessing they would also want Mercer in the deal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Someone might take them in exchange for future considerations. But you’re probably right, I think if they could be traded they would be gone. 

I also think Bratt is the more likely target for them, it would be if I were them. If it’s Severson instead, I am guessing they would also want Mercer in the deal. 

I like bratt, but I think I’d rather move him, a prospect and pick(s) over both severson and Mercer. I think Mercer has a lot of potential, but he may also fit there timeline better if they are looking to go through a full rebuild. We shall see. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I like bratt, but I think I’d rather move him, a prospect and pick(s) over both severson and Mercer. I think Mercer has a lot of potential, but he may also fit there timeline better if they are looking to go through a full rebuild. We shall see. 

I think so too. I’m not yet convinced that  Bratt will repeat what he did last year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Who is taking those two rocks off our hands??? Highly doubt this happens. Although, if we’re able to use severson ina. Trade scenario over bratt I’d love it, just don’t think it’s the likely scenario. 

I think Calgary easily takes at least one of them to facilitate a trade if they are getting the other pieces they want in return for Tkachuk.  Not everything has to be straight up cap dump 

35 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah that's the thing...the Devils should NOT be a friggin' lottery pick team next year (especially if Tkachuk's in the fold), but of course, we really REALLY gotta see Jack and Nico both play 70+ games this year.  And for the team to be relatively healthy.

     

Of course not but Ottawa thought the same thing after reaching the ECF and making the Duchene trade and Toronto never dreamed that adding Kessel would cost them a #2 and #9 pick.   No reason not to protect ourselves.   

Edited by Lateralous
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I think Calgary easily takes at least one of them to facilitate a trade if they are getting the other pieces they want in return for Tkachuk.  Not everything has to be straight up cap dump 

Of course not but Ottawa thought the same thing after reaching the ECF and making the Duchene trade and Toronto never dreamed that adding Kessel would cost them a #2 and #9 pick.   No reason not to protect ourselves.   

I waffle back and forth...if Calgary absolutely insisted that the Devils include their 2023 first-rounder in a Tkachuk deal, I'd be very nervous about giving it up.  It wasn't so long ago that I was saying "No way the Devils go through as bad of a stretch as they did in 2020-21."  Which is what they then proceeded to do of course.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I waffle back and forth...if Calgary absolutely insisted that the Devils include their 2023 first-rounder in a Tkachuk deal, I'd be very nervous about giving it up.  It wasn't so long ago that I was saying "No way the Devils go through as bad of a stretch as they did in 2020-21."  Which is what they then proceeded to do of course.  

On the Calgary end of things, they can't be remotely banking on us tanking in this trade either.  I would assume any trade Calgary makes has to assume the 2023 pick will be in the middle of the first round and they negotiate other assets from there.   I don't think a GM is going to take issue with something like top 2 protected because it was never anyones intent to trade them Bedard + for Tkachuk.      

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.