Ondrej Palat signs with NJ - 5 years @ 6m

SterioDesign

Im worried this was a panic move and that we overpaid. Dude never scored 25 goals in the NHL on stacked teams and he's 31. He's a 40-50pts guy.

He's clutch though and bring good leadership and we have the cap space to overpay a bit now i guess. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Im worried this was a panic move and that we overpaid. Dude never scored 25 goals in the NHL on stacked teams and he's 31. He's a 40-50pts guy.

He's clutch though and bring good leadership and we have the cap space to overpay a bit now i guess. 

Palat does more than score goals. When people call him a "support player," I think that sells him short. He's a support player the way Bobby Holik was a support player (different skills, but you know what I'm saying). Palat is on the ice in all situations. Very good hockey player. Not a coattail rider in Tampa.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MB3 said:

5 years sounds like a lot

but palat will be the same age at the end of those 5 years as Johnny will be at the end of his 7…

he’s not just signed as a goal scorer. there’s a reason he was so highly coveted.

Well if he's our 3rd line LW and that he's not getting paid too much over 5m per year. It's fine.

He's not a top 6 forward and that's what we need. We have many young guys who could be just as good as him in the next few years.

I don't believe he's moving the needle much for us. If we're still landing a legit top line LW that is pushing Sharangovich to the 2nd line and Tatar....... out of the lineup... then it's all good. 

But we need a better first and second line than this.

Sharangovich - Hughes - Bratt

Palat/Holtz? - Hischier - Mercer

Palat/Tatar? - Haula - Zetterlund

Wood - McLeod - Bastian

I guess the key to this is... can Holtz make the NHL and have an impact in the next 5 years

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Palat does more than score goals. When people call him a "support player," I think that sells him short. He's a support player the way Bobby Holik was a support player (different skills, but you know what I'm saying). Palat is on the ice in all situations. Very good hockey player. Not a coattail rider in Tampa.

For sure, but again, there's a limit to what you pay a player like this when he's 31 years old.

I'm just not sure how it's making sense... We have Sharangovich, Holtz, Wood on the left side... and ideally we'd add a player better than all those guys to push everyone down so they are not asked to do too much. But this doesn't really fix anything in that sense

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

For sure, but again, there's a limit to what you pay a player like this when he's 31 years old.

I'm just not sure how it's making sense... We have Sharangovich, Holtz, Wood on the left side... and ideally we'd add a player better than all those guys to push everyone down so they are not asked to do too much. But this doesn't really fix anything in that sense

He's the best defensive forward on this roster ... by far. He and Nico. Palat a top 6 forward if you think of it like that. A real two-way player. Again, Nico is the only other player like that. 31 isn't too old. And 35 might not be too old either. We're gonna look back on this one with no regrets.

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

Palat played 2nd line with Kucherov and Point but he can’t be our 2nd line winger? 

Of course "he can" do it. But it's not his ideal spot on our roster. Kucherov and Point are also a lot better than Hischier and whoever we'll have on the other side. So it's fine.

I'll say it again, Palat on our 3rd line. I'm perfectly fine with it. But 6m for 5 years... not a fan of that if the numbers are correct. But wtv. Won't hurt us too much.

23 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

I agree, his underlying numbers look good and he hits.  I don’t hate it, but was hoping for something bigger.

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

why is it terrible? we aren’t a cap team and we added a solid forward with leadership.

It just kills me when people only look at what a player puts in the net. There's an assumption that this player is nothing without Stamkos, Kucherov and Point. I remind people that we have Bratt and Hughes. Those guys are ascending offensive stars. Palat fits what we really need. Maybe Haula does, too, I don't really know much about him. 

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Palat played 2nd line with Kucherov and Point but he can’t be our 2nd line winger? 

“do something with all the money”

”wait not that”

why is it terrible? we aren’t a cap team and we added a solid forward with leadership.

Dude, you're absolutely schizophrenic with your posts. Earlier you said no to Palat now you're like oh good deal.

All this has done is make Fitz feel better about his moves and less likely to pursue anyone in trade.

7 minutes ago, MB3 said:

“do something with all the money”

”wait not that”

Dude played on a stacked team with at least two future HoFers. We basically got Dainius Zubrus

14 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Maybe,

Palat-Hughes-Sharangovich

Holtz-Nico-Bratt

And the Bottom 6 has tons of options with Mercer 3rd line center and McLeod 4th line center.

3 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

Dude played on a stacked team with at least two future HoFers. We basically got Dainius Zubrus

I don't think you're even serious anymore. :D

At least compare Palat to a player he deserves to be compared with. Jere Lehtinen? That's off the top of my head. Zubrus? Come on. You don't watch Lightning games apparently.

3 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

I don't think you're even serious anymore. :D

At least compare Palat to a player he deserves to be compared with. Jere Lehtinen? That's off the top of my head. Zubrus? Come on. You don't watch Lightning games apparently.

Another dude just said he would’ve rather kept Zacha than sign Palat. You really gotta love the dramatic ridiculous overreactions.

10 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

Maybe,

Palat-Hughes-Sharangovich

Holtz-Nico-Bratt

And the Bottom 6 has tons of options with Mercer 3rd line center and McLeod 4th line center.

Looks like another top 5 pick year. Palat on the first line? Lol! I can't wait until midseason when this clown has 17 points. He will be loathed by all. With 4 more years at 6 million left on his deal. Get ready for it. That is what is coming.

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Another dude just said he would’ve rather kept Zacha than sign Palat. You really gotta love the dramatic ridiculous overreactions.

I can get the same 35 points Palat will produce here much cheaper from Zacha. 

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

That's insane. LOL!

I definitely understand the desire to get a stud winger to play with Hughes and to boost a crappy power play. It would have filled a need. Palat fills a need, too. This team is a sieve. I'm looking at this team being less than a sieve now. Let's get Niederreiter, too, or is that overkill? :D

• Like 1

Just now, NJD16W said:

Looks like another top 5 pick year. Palat on the first line? Lol! I can't wait until midseason when this clown has 17 points. He will be loathed by all. With 4 more years at 6 million left on his deal. Get ready for it. That is what is coming.

He played on the top line with Stamkos and Kucherov.  He gets over 100 hits a season, plays a two way game and his metrics a good.  Is Hughes the Devils star and top line center?  Is Bratt a their top line winger or is it Sharangovich?  If these players are our young core with Nico, Mercer and, possibly, Holtz, then why not bring a proven support player that uses his body and won 2 cups?  They still have a ton of cap space.

• Like 2

Just now, Jerrydevil said:

That's insane. LOL!

I definitely understand the desire to get a stud winger to play with Hughes and to boost a crappy power play. It would have filled a need. Palat fills a need, too. This team is a sieve. I'm looking at this team being less than a sieve now. Let's get Niederreiter, too, or is that overkill? :D

We'd have to overpay for Niederreiter too. 

I'd rather just wait for Gritsyuk. Not sure when he's planning on coming over but he's 21 and just won rookie of the year in the KHL. I'd rather bet on a young guy growing with our core filling that spot than handing bad contracts to guys that will inevitably suck by the end of their contract.

We signed Tatar for 2 years. We wanted him gone by december of the first year already. This is 5 years.

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

I did? 

You didn't you've been a pro-Palat all along.

He's just making sh!t up again