Ondrej Palat signs with NJ - 5 years @ 6m

SterioDesign

1 hour ago, Aitchmack said:

Hughes not only needs a goalscorer on his wing, he needs someone who can battle along the boards, win puck battles and be a pest in front of the net.

It’ll be interesting to see how the Devils will use Palat. It’s possible he will have the chance to score more points here. It may be he won’t be suited to that role. 

7 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

It’ll be interesting to see how the Devils will use Palat. It’s possible he will have the chance to score more points here. It may be he won’t be suited to that role. 

20 G and 35 A per 82 GP the last three seasons (right around his overall career numbers as well), with 16:39 minutes of ice time per game.  The ice time is up there...that would've ranked him fifth on the Devils.  I'm guessing his production will be about the same, give or take a few points...but given that he's a terrific all-arounder, I'll take 50-60 points from him (or at least that rate).  In other words, I don't see this as a Palms situation, where his ice time went up SIGNIFICANTLY upon coming here, and he got to play with upper lines (with the expected increase in production).  I think Palat will give you exactly what you'd be expecting and hoping for from him.   

• Like 1

One other nice thing to see with Palat:  Over his last 35 games in a Tampa Bay uniform (regular season + playoff), he put up 33 points.  Not expecting that kind of production here of course, but we've seen the Devils take their chances on guys who appeared to be fading prior to coming here (PK, Tatar), and then see them continue their declines.  At least in this case, Palat is clearly not slowing down.  

2 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Overpaid more, Palat or Vincent Trocheck?

Trocheck's a couple years younger and has put up better offensive numbers, but of course is signed for two more years than Palat.  I actually think both contracts (for UFAs) are pretty fair.  

• Like 1

Palat is being severely underrated. I’ll agree that the term is too long but you have to overpay for someone who has played so well in recent playoffs. He is not a product of his linemates either. He was a difference maker every game. Sucks we missed out on Gaudreau but at least Palat fills a team need. We have been talking about needing to be harder to play against for how long now?

Palat also brings playoffs experience, which this team hardly has. I think a lot of people will be surprised. He will be a hard guy to dislike. 

• Like 3

I absolutely love this signing.  As others have said, he's getting really underrated here.   I think the money is very fair and while you would ideally prefer a shorter term for a 31 year old, 5 years isn't terrible.  Given our current cap situation, I don't think this one ever really comes back to bite us even if his game falls off a cliff in 3 years.     

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nessus said:

Palat is being severely underrated. I’ll agree that the term is too long but you have to overpay for someone who has played so well in recent playoffs. He is not a product of his linemates either. He was a difference maker every game. Sucks we missed out on Gaudreau but at least Palat fills a team need. We have been talking about needing to be harder to play against for how long now?

Palat also brings playoffs experience, which this team hardly has. I think a lot of people will be surprised. He will be a hard guy to dislike. 

Re:  Gaudreau, of course most are focusing on his career year (and yeah, it was an awesome season, no one would dispute it), but imagine if he came up for UFA after these two seasons:

70 GP, 18 G, 40 A, 58 Pts

56 GP, 19 G, 30 A, 49 Pts

Would anyone necessarily be clamoring for their teams to go all-out for that guy?  Well that was the JG of 2019-20 and 2020-21.  And his career numbers show that in his 8 full seasons, it's not like he's been this consistent superstar.  I'm not saying he's a bad player at all, and I certainly wasn't opposed to him coming here.  Just saying that, in terms of what each player is expected to bring, I'd consider Palat to be the guy who will be steadier and more reliable and much less of a wild card, year-to-year.  

2 hours ago, Aitchmack said:

Hughes not only needs a goalscorer on his wing, he needs someone who can battle along the boards, win puck battles and be a pest in front of the net. Hopefully Palat will be that man. Is the contract perfect? No, but that's free agency for you. Definitely not a "sexy" signing, but a pretty important one imo.

and within this is the a reason why Johnny wasnt coming here, he didnt want to hear how small he is for 5 years

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerrydevil said:

Assuming he's on that line, I don't expect him to be the main goal scorer. I expect him to be the player doing the dirty work to make sure Hughes & Bratt/Sharangovich can get on with doing what they do.

20 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

Assuming he's on that line, I don't expect him to be the main goal scorer. I expect him to be the player doing the dirty work to make sure Hughes & Bratt/Sharangovich can get on with doing what they do.

Worked for the A-Line back in the day. I’d love someone giving Jack more room to work with 

36 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Palat is a good signing.  He is being slightly overpaid, but that's the nature of free agency.  I have no problem with this deal, and if he can continue to produce at the 50-60 point pace he has throughout his career, he is a great add on Jack or Nico's wing.

i agree, but I would add we are casually throwing out that this guy is a 55 point per season guy, and we have had like 6-7 guys hit that number in the last 10 years (I didn’t do the math on the shortened seasons to check the pace, it could be a couple more).

You want to talk about secondary scoring? It’s guys like this, not the 5-6 jerkoff forwards we have who had under 25 points a piece last year. 

On what fvcking planet do we not need all of the supporting 55 point per season players we can get???

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aitchmack said:

It’s an interesting idea to use Palat this way.   You never know what will click. It’s been done before in the past successfully … two offensive players and a defensively strong wing on the same line.

At least we didn't shell out the same money on Trocheck. He's a 2nd liner but super long deal for him.

Am a fan of this move. This definitely makes the Tatar move look like a little bit of a silly stop-gap. Staying conservative in free agency and being very picky about players is the best and this move makes Tatar even more expendable. Especially now with Palat. Now we have to find a Tatar home and probably retain salary 

If I knew Palat was coming in, I'd even consider buying out Tatar. Seems more like dead weight than Johnsson or Kuokanen. 

3 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Worked for the A-Line back in the day. I’d love someone giving Jack more room to work with 

I watched a lot of Johhny G highlights yesterday and what struck me was the space Tkachuck and Lindholm provided. Johnny is very talented but his line mates helped a lot. I dream of that for Jack. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, John Wensink said:

I watched a lot of Johhny G highlights yesterday and what struck me was the space Tkachuck and Lindholm provided. Johnny is very talented but his line mates helped a lot. I dream of that for Jack. 

I’d love to be in on Tkachuk if he decides he wants out to Calgary but it won’t be cheap. It would probably be worth it though to have him and Jack together for the next 8 years. 

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I’d love to be in on Tkachuk if he decides he wants out to Calgary but it won’t be cheap. It would probably be worth it though to have him and Jack together for the next 8 years. 

There’s a dream, unfortunately probably a pipe dream. If he and Calgary decide they’re going to move on from one another and it’s going to be a trade, I’d have to think that whoever is trading for him is going to want him to commit to a new deal as soon as the transaction is on paper. He and Calgary will compile a list of destinations he’d be happy with im sure, or he will be traded and bounce at the end of the season. This, leaving Calgary not getting as large a return and some team that’s not the devils using him as a last minute pushed to the next step of the post season

9 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

There’s a dream, unfortunately probably a pipe dream. If he and Calgary decide they’re going to move on from one another and it’s going to be a trade, I’d have to think that whoever is trading for him is going to want him to commit to a new deal as soon as the transaction is on paper. He and Calgary will compile a list of destinations he’d be happy with im sure, or he will be traded and bounce at the end of the season. This, leaving Calgary not getting as large a return and some team that’s not the devils using him as a last minute pushed to the next step of the post season

We'd be in a good position to land him. Not many team could fit his contract and Calgary would want picks and young assets to rebuild. We have all that. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Two firsts (non-lottery protected), Holtz, and something else significant I would imagine (as in, someone you'll hate to lose)...maybe you'd have to throw in something else.  Yeah sounds like a lot, but the kid is just entering his prime years and could be at the top of his game for a LONG time...with key teammates around the same age.  It's a huge get that you gotta pay up for.

• Like 2

I 100% think we will not be trading for Tkachuk. No actual facts behind that, just my feeling on it. 

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Two firsts (non-lottery protected), Holtz, and something else significant I would imagine (as in, someone you'll hate to lose)...maybe you'd have to throw in something else.  Yeah sounds like a lot, but the kid is just entering his prime years and could be at the top of his game for a LONG time...with key teammates around the same age.  It's a huge get that you gotta pay up for.

The fact that I am so quick to say I would do it makes me feel like Calgary would not do it. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I 100% think we will not be trading for Tkachuk. No actual facts behind that, just my feeling on it. 

The fact that I am so quick to say I would do it makes me feel like Calgary would not do it. 

I was thinking:

(2) firsts (non-lottery protected)

Maybe a second-rounder

Holtz

Mercer (the "I'd hate to lose him" player)

Maybe Ty Smith as well?  I haven't given up on him necessarily, but with L Hughes and Nemec in the mix, suddenly he's more expendable.

It's a lot for sure.  I just don't see how it doesn't take a major haul to get him. 

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I was thinking:

(2) firsts (non-lottery protected)

Maybe a second-rounder

Holtz

Mercer (the "I'd hate to lose him" player)

Maybe Ty Smith as well?  I haven't given up on him necessarily, but with L Hughes and Nemec in the mix, suddenly he's more expendable.

It's a lot for sure.  I just don't see how it doesn't take a major haul to get him. 

The extension is what we really need, so yes, that kind of player with a 8 year contract is going to require a haul (and not a Haula). 

If I’m them, Mercer is absolutely required to be part of the deal. An NHL level prospect who has already proven he has some skill at this level.