Ondrej Palat signs with NJ - 5 years @ 6m

SterioDesign

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

The extension is what we really need, so yes, that kind of player with a 8 year contract is going to require a haul (and not a Haula). 

If I’m them, Mercer is absolutely required to be part of the deal. An NHL level prospect who has already proven he has some skill at this level. 

Yeah they need at least one "right now" guy with upside, like Dawson.  It can't all be guys who might help 2-4 years from now...Holtz is a question mark who might make it, but there's reasons to believe he may not.  A team with Hughes, Hischier, Tkachuk, Hamilton, Bratt, and decent goaltending should be pretty good...good enough that the first-rounders are not as much of a selling point.

A Haula...I saw what you did there.

• Like 1

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah they need at least one "right now" guy with upside, like Dawson.  It can't all be guys who might help 2-4 years from now...Holtz is a question mark who might make it, but there's reasons to believe he may not.  A team with Hughes, Hischier, Tkachuk, Hamilton, Bratt, and decent goaltending should be pretty good...good enough that the first-rounders are not as much of a selling point.

A Haula...I saw what you did there.

On the theory that you have to give to get, I would include Mercer in a deal for Tkachuk. Like you said, I would hate it, but I would have to. 

16 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Two firsts (non-lottery protected), Holtz, and something else significant I would imagine (as in, someone you'll hate to lose)...maybe you'd have to throw in something else.  Yeah sounds like a lot, but the kid is just entering his prime years and could be at the top of his game for a LONG time...with key teammates around the same age.  It's a huge get that you gotta pay up for.

Holtz, 2023 top-2 protected 1st, 2023 2nd, 2024 unprotected 1st, and any prospect in the system not named Luke Hughes. That’s what I’d offer. 

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Holtz, 2023 top-2 protected 1st, 2023 2nd, 2024 unprotected 1st, and any prospect in the system not named Luke Hughes. That’s what I’d offer. 

Probably not enough because they're gonna want some legit "Right Now" help.  I can't see how they don't ask for the 2023 1st to be unprotected...they're gonna want a crack at a franchise kind of player.  They're giving up a young stud in Tkachuk who should be good for quite some time and is at the top of his game...not to mention their fanbase would be watching not one but TWO 100-point players leave in the same offseason.  They got nothing for one of them.  They gotta cash in on the other.

I'd do your deal in a heartbeat.  Which, as mfitz noted, means I'm probably not giving up nearly enough.   

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Probably not enough because they're gonna want some legit "Right Now" help.  I can't see how they don't ask for the 2023 1st to be unprotected...they're gonna want a crack at a franchise kind of player.  They're giving up a young stud in Tkachuk who should be good for quite some time and is at the top of his game...not to mention their fanbase would be watching not one but TWO 100-point players leave in the same offseason.  They got nothing for one of them.  They gotta cash in on the other.

I'd do your deal in a heartbeat.  Which, as mfitz noted, means I'm probably not giving up nearly enough.   

The guy we may have to include is Bratt. And I’d hate, HATE to do it… but I think I would. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The guy we may have to include is Bratt. And I’d hate, HATE to do it… but I think I would. 

Yeah if the Devils ever get Tkachuk...full expect to be upset about losing at least one guy you're going to hate to lose.  But look who you're getting.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

why is this the one transaction that hasn't popped up on tsn.ca/nhl?

I jumped in here just now to say this...has he not "Officially" signed? Does anyone know?

Edit: I literally posted this, went back to TSN and hit refresh and there it was lmao disregard. 

Edited by SeanMac16
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I was thinking:

(2) firsts (non-lottery protected)

Maybe a second-rounder

Holtz

Mercer (the "I'd hate to lose him" player)

Maybe Ty Smith as well?  I haven't given up on him necessarily, but with L Hughes and Nemec in the mix, suddenly he's more expendable.

It's a lot for sure.  I just don't see how it doesn't take a major haul to get him. 

That's way way too much. It wouldn't cost that much for RFA Tkachuk. That's basically 5 first rounders and a 2nd

Eichel got 2 former first rounders and a second and he was signed for like 6 years. 

I know he's a RFA but full year before RFA of Debrincat went for a 7th overall pick, a 2nd and a 3rd. Etc

Tkachuk wants out too they won't have as much leverage.

edit: just found this site, pretty interesting

https://www.fantasysp.com/nhl_player_news/Matthew_Tkachuk/trade-value

Says that a straight trade for him could be for a list of player and debrincat is one of them based on all their metrics. So again. We know the cost of debrincat now. 

Edited by SterioDesign

26 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

That's way way too much. It wouldn't cost that much for RFA Tkachuk. That's basically 5 first rounders and a 2nd

Eichel got 2 former first rounders and a second and he was signed for like 6 years. 

I know he's a RFA but full year before RFA of Debrincat went for a 7th overall pick, a 2nd and a 3rd. Etc

Tkachuk wants out too they won't have as much leverage.

edit: just found this site, pretty interesting

https://www.fantasysp.com/nhl_player_news/Matthew_Tkachuk/trade-value

Says that a straight trade for him could be for a list of player and debrincat is one of them based on all their metrics. So again. We know the cost of debrincat now. 

Eichel’s health was a bit of a question mark when he was dealt.  Not exactly apples to apples.

Has Tkachuk actually yet stated that he wants out?  

22 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Eichel’s health was a bit of a question mark when he was dealt.  Not exactly apples to apples.

He hasn't publicly and if I am Calgary I am keeping it quiet. They are still a playoff team with a lot of youth. Magiapane was a 40 goal scorer and he didn't play with any of Tkachuk, Lindholm, or Gaudreau. I don't think players see one player leave and you have a huge sale off of players. Tkachuk simply is not the right target. 

Patrick Laine was rumored to get traded out of CBJ. I don't know if this has changed since they signed JG, but he is still a RFA for CBJ. You can probably get him for a Mercer/Holtz/high draft pick. They would want Bratt for Laine straight up (both RFAs). Talk them down to a Shango/Holtz/Mercer + a pick or some combination. 

https://www.nhltraderumor.com/nhl-rumors-patrik-laine-wants-to-be-paid-columbus-wants-compromise/

Laine worth 10m/year? I don't know, but maybe 9. 

Edited by RizzMB30

32 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah but you're still comparing someone signed for 6 years vs a RFA NOW. 

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah but you're still comparing someone signed for 6 years vs a RFA NOW. 

Eichel was still signed for five years, not six.  He has now has four left.

I’m not making any comparisons, you are.  One guy is a healthy RFA, the other guy had a serious injury and was going to need time before he’d be able to play while still being owed a lot of money, which along with he and Buffalo clearly being done with each other probably hurt his value some.  I didn’t even bring up Eichel as any kind of comparable, you did.  I just said in my last post that comparing trade returns for each player doesn’t really work, as it’s not apples to apples.

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Eichel was still signed for five years, not six.  He has now has four left.

I’m not making any comparisons, you are.  One guy is a healthy RFA, the other guy had a serious injury and was going to need time before he’d be able to play while still being owed a lot of money, which along with he and Buffalo clearly being done with each other probably hurt his value some.  I didn’t even bring up Eichel as any kind of comparable, you did.  I just said in my last post that comparing trade returns for each player doesn’t really work, as it’s not apples to apples.

It is different but i still gave context as to why i perceived the price you suggested as way too high. Gave one example of a star player signed long-term who got a lesser return very recently. Then I posted a very similar player around the same age, around the same production and with a year left on his contract before RFA for even less. So a return for a healthy player with less terms should be somewhere between those 2 returns logically

You'd prefer is i said "your proposal sucks it's too high" and not provide any sort of logical thinking behind it maybe? lol 

Climbing out of the rabbit hole.  It’s getting way too dark down there.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

He hasn't publicly and if I am Calgary I am keeping it quiet. They are still a playoff team with a lot of youth. Magiapane was a 40 goal scorer and he didn't play with any of Tkachuk, Lindholm, or Gaudreau. I don't think players see one player leave and you have a huge sale off of players. Tkachuk simply is not the right target. 

Patrick Laine was rumored to get traded out of CBJ. I don't know if this has changed since they signed JG, but he is still a RFA for CBJ. You can probably get him for a Mercer/Holtz/high draft pick. They would want Bratt for Laine straight up (both RFAs). Talk them down to a Shango/Holtz/Mercer + a pick or some combination. 

https://www.nhltraderumor.com/nhl-rumors-patrik-laine-wants-to-be-paid-columbus-wants-compromise/

Laine worth 10m/year? I don't know, but maybe 9. 

I’m very leery of Laine. He’s got a less than stellar history when it comes to effort and has been benched on 2 different teams. I’m not really interested in giving up a lot of talent and picks for him and then throwing 9 - 10 million at him too.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I’m very leery of Laine. He’s got a less than stellar history when it comes to effort and has been benched on 2 different teams. I’m not really interested in giving up a lot of talent and picks for him and then throwing 9 - 10 million at him too.

Maybe he'll have to learn the hard way when teams won't pay him. 30-50 goals a year is worth 9 mil/year. The consistency is another story. 

11 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Maybe he'll have to learn the hard way when teams won't pay him. 30-50 goals a year is worth 9 mil/year. The consistency is another story. 

I’d definitely like our first ever 50 goal scorer. He just makes me a little uneasy. Incredible talent when he’s on though 

22 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

100%. I’m not interested in Laine. 

• Like 7

I am only interested in Laine if you tell me it's for lesser prospects like one of the D, Bahl or Walsh, a winger like Foote,  and a protected top 3 pick. If they want some other picks I will listen, but giving up Mercer or Holtz for a guy who two teams have quit on, no thanks.

He is going to need a contract that will pay him at least 7 plus million, if he had a motor, he's a 9 million player, but again he not shown that consistency.

I would much more prefer to call the Blues and try to get Tarasenko here, since he still wants to be traded.

Now there is a guy I would trust, and yes he has 1 year left, but I would trade them next years 1, again protected, and a lesser prospect for 1 year, and a hope you can lock him down for longer once you get him.

He, Holtz as the two shooters, playing with Bratt, Mercer, Nico & Jack with Palat maybe on one of the lines, and or with Boquist & Shar. I would go to war with that top 9 all day every day.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

Contract is well structured No NMC or NTC at any point in the deal.

If we want to buy him out after 3 years, the cap hits are as follows:

25-26: $3,533,333

26-27: $2,533,333

27-28: $1,483,333

28-29: $1,483,333

If we want to buy him out after 4 years, the cap hits are as follows:

26-27: $2,700,000

27-28: $1,650,000

So at least it’s manageable if we need to move him or buy him out.

On average that’s how much we’ve been paying schneider’s buyout for the last 2 seasons. Can everyone shut the literal fvck up now?

Love the structure.  Also love that Fitz didn't commit to a NTC/NMC.

Nothing to not like about this deal.

34 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Love the structure.  Also love that Fitz didn't commit to a NTC/NMC.

Nothing to not like about this deal.

It's moveable whether you hate it or like it. I think Palat's playoff pedigree goes further than people give credit for in that regard. 

He may haven't been the top player in the top 9 or maybe you can say he was the worst of the top 9 players in Tampa, but I watched him all playoffs. He's good in his own end, great at going into corners to get pucks and although he tends to get cold on the score sheet at parts of the year, he is often a clutch performer. Patrick Elias minus the flashyness in skill or playmaking, faceoff skill but added sandpaper, can play PP or PK. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 1