Devils Trade for John Marino, ty Smith to Pitts.

jagknife

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

So the D is shaping up as follows: Hamilton, Graves, Siegenthaler, Severson, Marino, Brendan Smith- who is #7? Maybe Bahl? Okhotyuk? 

Hopefully Nemec makes the team, but Okhotyuk might be the most likely. 

• Like 2

On a serious note I am slightly concerned with this trade. I think Smith has the potential to be a really good player on the right team. And as CR1976 has said I would have liked to have seen him with a decent coach. 

I don't know enough about Marino to pass overall judgement. On the face of it, it looks like we are getting a guy with a low ceiling but a high floor in exchange for a guy with a high ceiling bit at this stage a very low floor. 

And given the volume of defensive prospects in the system now this isn't the end of the world. 

I still think this team is missing quality wingers though. Have to wonder if Fitz was trying to move Smith to Vancouver and couldn't get a deal done there. 

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

Ha... i saw his name in the rumour mill quite a bit in the last few days. He was linked to Vancouver and Ottawa.

I was not very familiar with him so out of curiosity i did a bit of research on him.

Didn't expect at all that we'd be involved. Interesting.

Sort of shocked that we moved Smith already. He looked like a future beast in his first year, then was struggling hard last year. Figured we'd want to see another year under a true defensive coach.

Oh well, welcome Marino!

Jack needs a new roommate now

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

On a serious note I am slightly concerned with this trade. I think Smith has the potential to be a really good player on the right team. And as CR1976 has said I would have liked to have seen him with a decent coach. 

I don't know enough about Marino to pass overall judgement. On the face of it, it looks like we are getting a guy with a low ceiling but a high floor in exchange for a guy with a high ceiling bit at this stage a very low floor. 

And given the volume of defensive prospects in the system now this isn't the end of the world. 

Exactly. Luke and Nemec made Ty kind of expendable. If Marino can help keep pucks out of our net - I’m good with giving up a puck moving dman that would probably never have been very strong defensively anyway. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

Smith had a good rookie year, but analytics fvcking despised him. And in his sophomore year, he was objectively and inarguably the worst defenseman in the National Hockey League full stop. He'll be 23 next season, and while that's not old by any metric you'd be hard pressed to find a top-pairing defenseman who looked *this* bad in his D+3 season. He might turn it around in a more protected role and in a different system. 

The problem really is -- there's simply no room for him in the future. The Devils defense (and system) is loaded with puck moving, offensive minded defenseman. They are nearly devoid of any true stay-at-home guys. That's what this guy is. 

Get all that. But it feels a bit like selling low trading him now. We have room for him this year , is there a chance with a new coach we could recapture some of that first year form?

Having said that  I guess Fitz is as jaded as the rest of us and actually wants to see wins and on the surface Marino makes that more likely. 

30 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Is @Guadanasecretly running the team? :lol:

Don't tell anyone. Sometimes I'm the target for offense because I'm saying unpopular things, and now when everything going exactly by my plan - trading zacha and Smith, palat, brunette, drafting not Wright, don't spend all the money on Gaudreau, trading/sign for defensive rd, drafting barabosha, drafting a lot of rd... people who doesn't like Fitz, will start to understand something =-D

Its a huge trade for the Devils. After sign if Hamilton and drafting Hughes, devils lost all the reasons to have Smith on the roster. He was very bad defensman in his first season, I wanted to trade him loudly, but at least he made impact in offensive zone and in pp, now he have no chance to play minutes to create this impact. I belive with another defensive system and with good partner he can develop his game. He is talented guy, just not for the Devils. And thanks God I wil never should look at his sloppy moves. 

Marino is good defensive defenseman. Mobile and accurate guy.  I like that move a lot. Now we don't have so much dependent from Severson and if he will ask more than we can give him, we have options. We could be our right handed version of Siegenthaler. May be not as big and not as mobile, but solid enough. This team is closer to the playoff, than they were before the July.

I really like every move. May be I would draft Mayorov over Hauser, but every other move was very good. I don't thin every player will click, but again I understand why every move was made and how  plan is looking, what Fitz should try with every move. Thats great. I like when administrator has vision. Not trying to trade/sign/draft every thing that isn't nailed down. 

Now I want to see deals of Bratt, Siegenthaler and Sharangovich, before two lasts will make more points next season and will ask even more.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Get all that. But it feels a bit like selling low trading him now. We have room for him this year , is there a chance with a new coach we could recapture some of that first year form?

Having said that  I guess Fitz is as jaded as the rest of us and actually wants to see wins and on the surface Marino makes that more likely. 

Given Smiths value being at an all time low, which I agree with, I'm happy with the return. It's obvious PIT is trading for Ty's potential and not his NHL body of work. A part of me is disappointed just because we were all so high on him for so long. I hope he figures it out.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MB3 said:

2022-2023:

Siegenthaler-Hamilton
Graves-Severson
Smith-Marino
Extra: Bahl

2023-2024:

Siegenthaler-Hamilton
Hughes-Nemec
Mukhmadulin/Okhtuyuk - Marino

This team's going to win a fvcking stanley cup in the next 5 years. 

lets calm down a little bit haha 

Lets remember that we almost ALL fully believed Larsson, Urbom, Gelinas, Corrente, Merril, Fayne, Helgeson, Burlon, Scarlett etc etc was going to be the next Stevens Niedermayer Rafalski Daneyko haha

Our D and its future honestly looks real good, but still, let's wait a bit before claiming we'll win a cup with it hahaha

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I know the hardcore malcontents won’t be appeased by anything short of the biggest names on the market, but most reasonable people should be able to see what Fitz is doing. This team is going to look radically different next season. And I remember thinking I’d settle for just a new goalie…

I like the moves.  With our stars, Jack, Bratt, Nico and, potential of Mercer and Sharangovic, these off-season moves are solid and will not hamstring the organization for 7 years.  

3 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I love it.   Fitz doing an excellent job filling out the roster this offseason.   Hopefully this is finally the year we make a jump towards being a fringe playoff team.   

If he has been sitting on his hands, he must be able to dial the phone with his d!ck. 

Edited by mfitz804

20 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

Strong skater with good speed.

highly intelligent puck mover.

Lol. I need to see my eye dr.

Seriously, on what planet is Ty Smith a strong skater? I’m not convinced Pronman has even seen him play now. 

Funny, the happiest moment I'll have of Ty is when he snuck up on Jack during his interview, and Jack's reaction.

Smith should've spent some time in Bingh./Utica, to work on the basics against AHL competition.  

36 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

lets calm down a little bit haha 

Lets remember that we almost ALL fully believed Larsson, Urbom, Gelinas, Corrente, Merril, Fayne, Helgeson, Burlon, Scarlett etc etc was going to be the next Stevens Niedermayer Rafalski Daneyko haha

Our D and its future honestly looks real good, but still, let's wait a bit before claiming we'll win a cup with it hahaha

And before that was Paul Martin and David Hale as the next Nieds and Stevens.

Its been too long since we’ve had a stacked team.   I’m optimistic we will be there soon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aylbert said:

And before that was Paul Martin and David Hale as the next Nieds and Stevens.

Its been too long since we’ve had a stacked team.   I’m optimistic we will be there soon.

I always liked Paul Martin, he certainly wasn't the next Nieds or Stevens but he had a solid NHL career and was actually in the playoffs every season of his career. 

• Like 2