Devils Trade for John Marino, ty Smith to Pitts.

jagknife

So this is a great trade for the future of the team.

They got bigger, they got more responsible in their own zone, and they now can think about making a big trade for a winger, using a certain right handed, soon to be free agent defenseman.

I think if they can find the right player they want, they do that trade now and not at the deadline.

I don't see how they keep DS after this, with Marino, Dougie & Nemec, you have your 3 right d for the long term, so it's just a question of, can you get the player you want now, or do you wait until mid season and get draft compensation plus a prospect.

The way I am thinking, I try and find a partner now, one who would want DS to be a future part of their team, and they want to change up their core.

I don't know who that is, I call Calgary of course, but yeah there has to be a team out there who the Devils can work with here, DS does have lots of fans, and hopefully they can find the right team with the right player they target.

To add to what Guadana said, they absolutely should be looking to lock up guys they believe are core players now and save future money. There is a reason Tampa is so good at this, you look at the 3 guys they signed, the Devils need to start doing that now, they already messed up with Bratt, don't do the same thing with others core players.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t really know Marino, and I’m still thinking it was too soon to give up on Ty, but if we were going to move on while his value was so low, this seems like a good return. 

I saw him in playoffs. They are calling him top 4 because the Penguins we're pretty beat up. They kind of limped into the playoffs. 

He's a guy we won't even notice is out there kind of Dman. 

I'm kind of shocked PIT pulled the trigger on this one. Weird move for them. Maybe Letang will help him figure it out. I'd wish him the best but we have to go right through them this year. 

Just gotta figure out the cap now with the RFAs. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

I just saw Jason MacIsaac on twitter mention this, and yeah this makes all the sense in the world to do this as we know they have liked DS for a long time.

Nylander for DS, I think this has a real chance of happening unless Fitz has someone else in mind.

In the replies to his tweet, I see more than one person throwing in a Miller trade and sending DS home, that makes a lot of sense too. Of course both players would have to be signed before either team does that I think.

10 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

He's a guy we won't even notice is out there kind of Dman. 

Just gotta figure out the cap now with the RFAs. 

That works, we’ve been noticing them for all the wrong reasons. 

Figure out the cap?? We have room for virtually anything. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

The way I am thinking, I try and find a partner now, one who would want DS to be a future part of their team, and they want to change up their core.

Vancouver is who I call- JT Miller is who I’m targeting.

3 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I think Petry is a downgrade from Marino though, if not just for age alone.

Petry is fine but Marino is on the rise.

yah but its not leaving as much as a hole.

Also god knows what Smith will do. He actually has a history of being great one year and bad the other... back and forth... so he's scheduled to have a good year this year lol

Edited by SterioDesign

Very deep at D now and I'd almost say crowded if Nemec is in the mix. It's going to be hard for him to make the team. Marino also brings playoff experience. Fitz is paying for it for depth and he is preparing to make a push. My guess is that he doesn't want to see another year derailed due to injuries. 

We gotta get to the dance bois.

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

lets calm down a little bit haha 

Lets remember that we almost ALL fully believed Larsson, Urbom, Gelinas, Corrente, Merril, Fayne, Helgeson, Burlon, Scarlett etc etc was going to be the next Stevens Niedermayer Rafalski Daneyko haha

Our D and its future honestly looks real good, but still, let's wait a bit before claiming we'll win a cup with it hahaha

Very well said. Thabks

9 hours ago, Lateralous said:

I love it.   Fitz doing an excellent job filling out the roster this offseason.   Hopefully this is finally the year we make a jump towards being a fringe playoff team.   

We still have Blackwood as goaltender. Fitz has done a good job with the defense this offseason. I am not convinced the offense is a playoff contender. 

More to come? C'mon Fitz 

35 minutes ago, Brewskies said:

We still have Blackwood as goaltender. Fitz has done a good job with the defense this offseason. I am not convinced the offense is a playoff contender. 

More to come? C'mon Fitz 

I feel like the stage is set to trade Severson for a winger. I guess we’ll see. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I feel like the stage is set to trade Severson for a winger. I guess we’ll see. 

I don’t will they trade Nylander for Sevs, but if we talk about Sevs, I have some priorities, some more realistic, some not.

first one is Knies from leafs. But I can’t imagine they will trade him. Especially for one year of Damon. Even if they will sign him. He is my clearly number one, but he is close to be untouchable.

Second one is Othmann from rangers. He is ranger. Everything we should know to even don’t think about it.

Holloway from Oilers is a third one in my list. Guy is some kind of… Slafkovsky lite. Barrie is a one way right defenseman, I can imagine they want younger two way defenseman for their top-4.

I don’t know what Buffalo thinking about their right side of defense and how they will insure their talented left defensemen. If they love Severson, they have a lot of good forward prospects. Sounds ridiculous, but top-4 defenseman, if they will sign him after, is a good price for Peterka.

Formenton is my first one who is regular nhl player. from Ottawa, he is a big, very good skating guy with good shot and two way game. Solid pk player.

I don’t know how, but if Florida will agree to get our first round pick or Holtz, Severson and someone else like Zetterlund, would be awesome to acquire Lundel. Again, can’t imagine they will do it.

Some magic situation, where Severson is a part of package for M Tkachuk. Magic, but who knows, may be they will not find agreement. But I believe if they will trade him, they will start to full rebuild. And Severson isn’t a good guy for that kind of situation. And there is some Klinberg smoke too.

If Buffalo really wants Severson and we are talking about NHL  player, Fits should ask Tuch. If they don’t want to trade him, than Peterka, but Fitz should be proactive to trade for Tuch. 

Necas from Carolina is a real target for trade. Mobile big defensive forward with offensive upside. They have players to replace him and have some troubles with agreement.

That’s guys whom I remembered right in time after thinking about possibilitie of trading Severson. We did try to start this talk year ago, but people were not ready to even think about it. Now the situation is going on the way, after year my words about 6/6.5-7/7.25mil for Severson doesn’t sound as ridiculous, and I think Fitz is thinking about this trade, at least thinking. Would be great to play with full solid defense, but now we have no chance to stay with all three guys we have now. If the good offer on the table or Devils will be not in the hunt for play off spot on the deadline, I think Severson will be moved.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Guadana said:

I don’t will they trade Nylander for Sevs, but if we talk about Sevs, I have some priorities, some more realistic, some not.

first one is Knies from leafs. But I can’t imagine they will trade him. Especially for one year of Damon. Even if they will sign him. He is my clearly number one, but he is close to be untouchable.

(...)

On your whole list i only wanna knew if Tkachuk was on it ! As your work in some mysterious way this summer... I wanna my dream to come true ! 
So...

image.png.57f039ec5ec4ecbbd19379d629e838c7.png

• Like 2

Just now, moustic said:

On your whole list i only wanna knew if Tkachuk was on it ! As your work in some mysterious way this summer... I wanna my dream to come true ! 
So...

image.png.57f039ec5ec4ecbbd19379d629e838c7.png

Tkachuk is a most mysterious option on my list I think) Lundell and Knies are very hard to be tradable too. We still have a chance. But I think it would be other options than Severson. May be some package like 1st round pick next year, Shaq(m... I don`t know if Calgary as Canada team wants some russian prospects),  Holtz, Gritsyuk\or even Bratt  or something like that. Payment should be huge. But it could go south if they will sign him for one "arbitration\qualification" year deal and will trade him on the deadline. I believe Fitz is really wants Tkachuk and as I understand he will not stop to make offers for him. I trully think, before MT and Calgary would not sign a long term, there is a huge chance, Fitz will trade or sign M Tkachuk.

• Like 1