Vitek Vanacek signs his contract with NJ, 10.2 M for 3 years

RizzMB30

Re:  this deal...it's reasonable, especially since Vanecek isn't being brought in to be a star...Devils will happily settle for a "stabilizer", at that term and AAV.  Think about all of the goalies that have struggled to put up .900 save%s lately...it's not all on them of course, but all the Devils are asking for from Vanecek is to be a .910ish guy over the course of a season.  If Blackwood can do the same, suddenly the Devils' goaltending is much less of a problem (league average save% was .902 last season...Devils were at .881); of course, as we've seen, it's really difficult to pencil in goalies and expect them to get through entire seasons unscathed.  Let me see what the situation is as February approaches...but there's reasons for optimism at least.

Vanecek's deal is also fine in that it's just short enough and cheap enough to allow for a lot of flexibility.  If someone better comes along but Vanecek is clearly good enough to start 25-35 games for the Devils, he becomes a reasonably paid #2.  He's also highly movable at his price point, as long as his game doesn't fall apart.  Just not much to complain about, re:  this contract.

Mentioned this elsewhere, but Devils now have about $9.6 million in cap space...currently included on Capfriendly as part of the total payroll are both Nemec ($950k) and Bernier ($4.125 million).  Just hard to imagine that Bernier's hit will still count towards the payroll, given his health...gotta think he's absolutely going to be on LTIR.  So things getting tighter cap-wise for 2022-23, but not dire.  Assuming Bernier's LTIR'd, the Devils should still have $2 million or so left once Bratt, Wood, and Boqvist are re-signed...if the Devils technically have about $13.6 - 13.7 million or so left at the moment, guessing Bratt, Wood, and Bo would combine for about $11 - 12 million.  Obviously dumping Johnsson gives them some relief.  Dump both Johnsson and Tatar (in trades, not buyouts) and they can probably start to entertain the idea of adding Tkachuk, though that seems like a longshot at best.    

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

and they can probably start to entertain the idea of adding Tkachuk, though that seems like a longshot at best.    

I agree it seems like a long shot. Would we have the cap for it? Assuming we dump Johnsson and Tatar, and the salary of whichever players are going to Calgary, I think we would. 

28 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Re:  this deal...it's reasonable, especially since Vanecek isn't being brought in to be a star...Devils will happily settle for a "stabilizer", at that term and AAV.  Think about all of the goalies that have struggled to put up .900 save%s lately...it's not all on them of course, but all the Devils are asking for from Vanecek is to be a .910ish guy over the course of a season.  If Blackwood can do the same, suddenly the Devils' goaltending is much less of a problem (league average save% was .902 last season...Devils were at .881); of course, as we've seen, it's really difficult to pencil in goalies and expect them to get through entire seasons unscathed.  Let me see what the situation is as February approaches...but there's reasons for optimism at least.

Vanecek's deal is also fine in that it's just short enough and cheap enough to allow for a lot of flexibility.  If someone better comes along but Vanecek is clearly good enough to start 25-35 games for the Devils, he becomes a reasonably paid #2.  He's also highly movable at his price point, as long as his game doesn't fall apart.  Just not much to complain about, re:  this contract.

Mentioned this elsewhere, but Devils now have about $9.6 million in cap space...currently included on Capfriendly as part of the total payroll are both Nemec ($950k) and Bernier ($4.125 million).  Just hard to imagine that Bernier's hit will still count towards the payroll, given his health...gotta think he's absolutely going to be on LTIR.  So things getting tighter cap-wise for 2022-23, but not dire.  Assuming Bernier's LTIR'd, the Devils should still have $2 million or so left once Bratt, Wood, and Boqvist are re-signed...if the Devils technically have about $13.6 - 13.7 million or so left at the moment, guessing Bratt, Wood, and Bo would combine for about $11 - 12 million.  Obviously dumping Johnsson gives them some relief.  Dump both Johnsson and Tatar (in trades, not buyouts) and they can probably start to entertain the idea of adding Tkachuk, though that seems like a longshot at best.    

Well IF we'd be trying to add tkachuk, for sure we'd be sending guys the other way so salary would be replaced that way too

12 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well IF we'd be trying to add tkachuk, for sure we'd be sending guys the other way so salary would be replaced that way too

Well sure, if Bratt would be the centerpiece of such a deal, then suddenly you're technically not adding THAT much more payroll if Tkachuk's coming the other way, as Bratt was getting a big raise anyway.  

Would suck to lose Bratt, but gotta give to get, and Calgary would figure to get other nice pieces along with him...I'm guessing they would want cheap, ready-now guys, to go along with have to pay Bratt.  Gotta think Holtz and/or Mercer would be on their radar.  If I'm giving them Bratt, I'm not sure how many more prospects I'd be willing to give them.  I know Bratt by himself won't come close to getting it done, but I don't want to gut out the youth corral too too much...and the initial low-cost ELCs that come with them.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Bratt, Holtz, 2023 2nd, 2024 1st for Tkachuk.

Or we keep our first and do Bratt, Holtz, 2023 2nd for Tkachuk and Lucic. Devils can LTIR Bernier and put Johnsson in the largest cannon they can find and fire him directly into the atmosphere. Lucic is a brutal contract (for 1 more season) but I'd love a piece of sh!t like that ready to cross the line to protect Jack. 

Protecting Jack and Nico are the things I’m desperately hope improve this season.

not that they both need bubble wrap but holy sh!t do we depend on their health, especially if moving on from Bratt

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Or we keep our first and do Bratt, Holtz, 2023 2nd for Tkachuk and Lucic. Devils can LTIR Bernier and put Johnsson in the largest cannon they can find and fire him directly into the atmosphere. Lucic is a brutal contract (for 1 more season) but I'd love a piece of sh!t like that ready to cross the line to protect Jack. 

They'd probably want more, but beyond what you've suggested, I'd only be willing to give them something minor...Bratt was pretty legit last season, and should be locked up for several years in Calgary.  Crazy as it sounds, if they wanted a 2023 first instead of 2024, I'd have to at least think about it...with the team the Devils would be icing next season with Tkachuk in the fold, the idea is NOT to wind up in the lottery with a good shot to draft #1OA yet again.     

31 minutes ago, MB3 said:

with this offer it would depend if we're talking about a long-term signed Bratt and Tkachuk agreeing on an extension to come here.

Cause a long-term signed Bratt for technically 1 year of Tkachuk before UFA. And knowing he might force his way to go to St-Louis or wtv. I'd want to make sure there's an extension in place

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

with this offer it would depend if we're talking about a long-term signed Bratt and Tkachuk agreeing on an extension to come here.

Cause a long-term signed Bratt for technically 1 year of Tkachuk before UFA. And knowing he might force his way to go to St-Louis or wtv. I'd want to make sure there's an extension in place

Yes, there has to be an extension or there is no point in doing the deal. 

26 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

The extension goes without saying. No extension, no deal. 

24 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well duh lol.  No one is giving up that much for potentially one year of Tkachuk.  It would basically have to be a "both guys are going to their new teams signed long-term" deal.  

I still don't really think this is happening.  I think Bratt signs long-term and will be a Devil next season, and I am definitely fine with such an outcome.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I still don't really think this is happening.  I think Bratt signs long-term and will be a Devil next season, and I am definitely fine with such an outcome.  

Well, if nothing else we know Fitz is working on signing the remaining guys, as the Vanecek deal got signed pretty quickly after the arbitration filing. 

Let’s hope Bratt isn’t far behind. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Well, if nothing else we know Fitz is working on signing the remaining guys, as the Vanecek deal got signed pretty quickly after the arbitration filing. 

Let’s hope Bratt isn’t far behind. 

The arbitration thing is good in that it’s gonna force both sides to work on something. They won’t be able to drag it into training camp this time 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Some good quotes from Vanecek in here, sounds like he is coming in looking to take the starting job. 

https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/vitek-vanecek-an-opportunity-to-play-a-lot-of-games--feature/c-335035552?tid=277567796

Yeah as far as motivation goes, there's tons of it for both Vanecek and Blackwood.  Both want to be the guy who can get 50+ starts, and Blackwood's playing for his next contract.  Both are approaching that crossroads where they're still young, but teams aren't quite sure if they're legit good #1 goalies.  Huge year for both.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah as far as motivation goes, there's tons of it for both Vanecek and Blackwood.  Both want to be the guy who can get 50+ starts, and Blackwood's playing for his next contract.  Both are approaching that crossroads where they're still young, but teams aren't quite sure if they're legit good #1 goalies.  Huge year for both.    

I’m hoping that competition has both of them on top of their games. Then Fitz can make a decision on who he keeps