Jump to content

Jonas Siegenthaler re-signs, 5 years, $3.4 million AAV


Recommended Posts

Image

Three guys now locked up for a while in Hamilton, Marino, and Siegs...not much room left.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

Worth keeping in mind for those doing math in their heads, this is an extension that doesn't kick in until next year. He still counts 1.125 against the cap this year. 

Between him and Jack they could be 2 of the biggest bargains in the league if they both repeat how they played last season. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Ok not bad

Yeah that can be a nice bargain signing in time.  

 

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

I mean what an absolute slam dunk of a deal. He's a solid, big bodied top-4 defenseman, and we have him locked up for his age 25-age 30 seasons at a ridiculously affordable cap hit.

Writing is on the wall for Severson to be moved, I think. With no-brainers like Luke and Nemec on their way up in a couple of years, plus several other top prospects like Okhtoyuk, Shaq, and Walsh... we're running out of room. 

My thoughts exactly.  I can see Fitz trying to move Severson + other pieces for JT Miller.  But I'm now convinced there's a very good chance Seves doesn't open the season with the Devils.    

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Wonder if this also opens the door a little bit for the Devils to shop Gravy at the deadline. If I'm choosing between Graves and Severson I choose Graves every time, but if the Devils aren't in a playoff spot at the deadline they've got several guys that could net a pretty big haul -- Severson, Graves, Haula, hell, even Tatar was traded for a 1st-2nd-3rd not too long ago; if he pots a few I wouldn't bet against him fetching a second at the deadline. 

If the Devils wrap up Graves either before the season or during, you're pretty much saying soyonara to Okhotiuk and Bahl, as far as having much of a future in NJ goes.  Hard to believe that just like that, the Devils have half of their six defensive slots locked up long-term, but they do.

Kinda feels like Graves is probably on his way out too.  Hard to imagine he's not making at least $4 million per next season.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MB3 said:

Feels like Siegenthaler should officially count as one of Fitzgerald's "hits". A 3rd round pick (that we acquired from Arizona!) for a 2nd-pairing big body defensive defenseman is tremendous value. 

Absolutely. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I mean what an absolute slam dunk of a deal. He's a solid, big bodied top-4 defenseman, and we have him locked up for his age 25-age 30 seasons at a ridiculously affordable cap hit.

Writing is on the wall for Severson to be moved, I think. With no-brainers like Luke and Nemec on their way up in a couple of years, plus several other top prospects like Okhtoyuk, Shaq, and Walsh... we're running out of room. 

I still keep wondering if Severson for JT Miller could get done….

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Bahl obviously hasn't impressed them much, or they wouldn't be extending Siegenthaler / Adding Marino -- two guys who play very similar games. 

In terms of asset management, if it's becoming clear that Sevo and Gravy won't be on the team I hope they're traded sooner than later. Like you said earlier, a trade for a rental forward helps everyone. 

St. Louis has some defensive holes and wants to compete. I wonder what a trade of Severson+ for Tarasenko looks like. Is it Severson and a 2nd?

You could even do Severson, a 2nd, and Bahl for Tarasenko, if they’re looking for a little more.  Like you said, Bahl doesn’t appear to be in Fitz’s plans…he’s probably more of a throw-in at this point.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Wonder if this also opens the door a little bit for the Devils to shop Gravy at the deadline. If I'm choosing between Graves and Severson I choose Graves every time, but if the Devils aren't in a playoff spot at the deadline they've got several guys that could net a pretty big haul -- Severson, Graves, Haula, hell, even Tatar was traded for a 1st-2nd-3rd not too long ago; if he pots a few I wouldn't bet against him fetching a second at the deadline. 

I believe I predicted a few days ago that both of those guys are going to be gone by the deadline. 

This is a good deal, nice raise for him, we get locked in at what could be a bargain price going forward. I like it, nothing to complain about here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You could even do Severson, a 2nd, and Bahl for Tarasenko, if they’re looking for a little more.  Like you said, Bahl doesn’t appear to be in Fitz’s plans…he’s probably more of a throw-in at this point.  

Graves is UFA next year. Nemec may take more than a year to skate on NHL ice. Bahl and Okh still have room on this club (and both looked really good latter half of last season). That said, I’d include one of them if STL demands it for Tarasenko

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The tough question is do we hold onto them if we’re right on the bubble. Not sure what Graves would really bring back, but Severson could probably get a pretty nice return. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I believe I predicted a few days ago that both of those guys are going to be gone by the deadline. 

I think Seves is going for forward help.  I think JT or Tarasenko is very much a thing now.

I do like Graves and will be sorry to see him go, but just don’t see where there’s room for him beyond this season.  Feels like out of Graves, Seves, and Siegs, Fitz was willing to commit to one of them long-term.  We now know which one.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

The tough question is do we hold onto them if we’re right on the bubble. Not sure what Graves would really bring back, but Severson could probably get a pretty nice return. 

That is a good question. Me personally, I don't think I would keep them both. Split the difference, take your chances with the one you feel gives you a better shot. 

Otherwise you are gambling with two assets when honestly, its unlikely you are going to win the Cup. 

48612593477_96aec01c3a_c.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That is a good question. Me personally, I don't think I would keep them both. Split the difference, take your chances with the one you feel gives you a better shot. 

Otherwise you are gambling with two assets when honestly, its unlikely you are going to win the Cup. 

48612593477_96aec01c3a_c.jpg

 

San Francisco cocksucker! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

The value of Miller is perplexing to me. I saw on r/hockey the other day that someone posted an article proposing a Damon Severson + Shaquir Mukhmadulin for JT Miller trade. 

  • Every neutral fan said "that seems like fair value and a good trade for both teams."
  • Devils fans were outraged. "I wouldn't even trade Severson straight up for Miller! Horrendous idea! You can't have Shaq! Typical pathetic Canadian media!!!"
  • Canucks fans were even more outraged. All of their proposals from the devils included Holtz or Mercer, Severson, and an unprotected 1st round pick. 

On the one hand, Miller just scored 99 points. You'd have to go back to (checks notes) never to find a Devils forward who scored 99 points. Only 4 have ever even hit 90 -- Parise on 08/09, Hall in 17/18, Muller in 87/88, and Elias in 00/01. Over the past three seasons he's been playing at an 88 P/82 pace. That's 12th best in the entire sport.

On the other hand, he's probably a pure rental. The Devils probably can't and probably shouldn't entertain signing a 30 year old off a career year to a mega deal. He's not nearly the player as Gaudreau, and he'll likely cost just as much. He played a very protected role in Vancouver last year, and he had his big breakout year the season where everyone and their sister had their biggest breakout year. 

I probably pass on a Severson/Shaq trade. Vancouver almost definitely passes on a direct Severson/Miller swap. I do wonder if there's a dancing partner there, though.

Miller's point totals for the last 3 seasons would have been #1 on our team, and by a sh!tload, not a little. 

That being said, I don't think he's worth bringing on because of exactly what you said...he's a rental. If we are to trade Severson, I would rather get some picks or prospects that can be used or flipped, rather than just getting JT for a year. 

Of course, if its the deadline and we're looking good and we are going to lose Severson anyway, and a little extra offense looks like what we need, maybe its worth trying to make a run, even if it just means some of our young guys get some playoff experience., 

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

San Francisco cocksucker! 

Now you KNOW I read that in his voice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pretty great deal for a top 4 LD. At the end of this deal, he'll still be in his prime, like jack or nico. Very moveable/affordable contract down the line too at the end of the deal. I can't believe Siegenthaler didn't ask for more or try to get 4.5 or a Marino-like deal. 

Maybe he'll be 2nd pairing and we have Hughes-Nemec as our top pairing and Siegs-Hamilton will be the 2nd pairing at that point. Then Marino and whoever plays on his left. We're guaranteed to have at least that in 5 years barring major injury or someone game going to complete sh!t. You can pencil in anybody to play with Marino in 5 years, and I'll think we'll still have a top defense. Hopefully a top 5 defense in the league.  Holy sh!t the difference now compared to when we brought in Will Butcher in our prospect pool. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Pretty great deal for a top 4 LD. At the end of this deal, he'll still be in his prime, like jack or nico. Very moveable/affordable contract down the line too at the end of the deal. I can't believe Siegenthaler didn't ask for more or try to get 4.5 or a Marino-like deal. 

Maybe he'll be 2nd pairing and we have Hughes-Nemec as our top pairing and Siegs-Hamilton will be the 2nd pairing at that point. Then Marino and whoever plays on his left. We're guaranteed to have at least that in 5 years barring major injury or someone game going to complete sh!t. You can pencil in anybody to play with Marino in 5 years, and I'll think we'll still have a top defense, hopefully a top 5 defense in the league.  Holy sh!t the difference now compared to when we brought in Will Butcher in our prospect pool. 

D-corp should be largely cost-effective for the next 3-4 seasons...no one figures to make more than $4.4 million per year, save Hamilton of course (and depending upon when Nemec and L Hughes stick with the big club for good).  Nemec and L Hughes will be sliding in on ELCs.  Assuming the plan is not to sign Graves or Seves to extensions (I can't see possibly the Devils wanting to pay Seves the $5.5 - 6 million AAV for 5+ years that he'll get as a UFA), guess there is room for one or more of the Utes to fight for a spot (with Brendan Smith serving as low-priced insurance/7th guy when someone inevitably gets hurt).  Those guys won't cost much coin either.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

D-corp should be largely cost-effective for the next 3-4 seasons...no one figures to make more than $4.4 million per year, save Hamilton of course (and depending when Nemec and L Hughes stick with the big club for good).  Nemec and L Hughes will be sliding in on ELCs.  Assuming the plan is not to sign Graves or Seves to extensions (I can't see possibly the Devils wanting to pay Seves the $5.5 - 6 million AAV for 5+ years that he'll get as a UFA), guess there is room for one or more of the Utes to fight for a spot (with Brendan Smith serving as low-priced insurance/7th guy when someone inevitably gets hurt).  Those guys won't cost much coin either.  

Exactly. It depends on the season that Severson has. I could see him getting outplayed by Marino, but if he plays so well that he slots into the 2nd pairing and we'll looking like a playoff team with him there then I would consider trying to keep him, but chances are he gets outplayed by Marino and ends up on the 3rd pairing or god forbid a healthy scratch. I want to be deep, but I don't think Severson sees himself as a bottom pairing player. So if Severson has the bad year and will re-sign for 4m a year for 2 or 3 years. I'd take him on that, but if he wants that 5+ years and 5.5 or more, yeah, I'd say no thanks. Bring up Walsh, Muk, or Bahl and give them the shot. 

Edited by RizzMB30
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And for those who are curious, remember this guy:

Ryder Korczak Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

The Rangers selected him with 3rd-round pick that the Devils surrendered to Washington for Siegs (and of course the Devils got that pick from Arizona in the Hall trade).  Apparently that pick made the rounds... I have no idea how the Rangers wound up with the pick. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And for those who are curious, remember this guy:

Ryder Korczak Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

The Rangers selected him with 3rd-round pick that the Devils surrendered to Washington for Siegs (and of course the Devils got that pick from Arizona in the Hall trade).  Apparently that pick made the rounds... I have no idea how the Rangers wound up with the pick. 

Dude’s name sounds faker than Pinizyn Seider. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And for those who are curious, remember this guy:

Ryder Korczak Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

The Rangers selected him with 3rd-round pick that the Devils surrendered to Washington for Siegs (and of course the Devils got that pick from Arizona in the Hall trade).  Apparently that pick made the rounds... I have no idea how the Rangers wound up with the pick. 

79 points in 68 games. Not bad. Interesting player that I am surprised he fell to the 3rd based on his numbers. Undersized or understrength maybe?

Edited by RizzMB30
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.