Jonas Siegenthaler re-signs, 5 years, $3.4 million AAV

Colorado Rockies 1976

1 minute ago, RizzMB30 said:

Exactly. It depends on the season that Severson has. I could see him getting outplayed by Marino, but if he plays so well that he slots into the 2nd pairing and we'll looking like a playoff team with him there then I would consider trying to keep him, but chances are he gets outplayed by Marino and ends up on the 3rd pairing or god forbid a healthy scratch. I want to be deep, but I don't think Severson sees himself as a bottom pairing player. So if Severson has the bad year and will re-sign for 4m a year for 2 or 3 years. I'd take him on that, but if he was 5+ years and 5.5 or more, yeah, I'd say no thanks. 

Seves just finished his best offensive season (and put up a whopping 37 points over his last 50 GP).  He has flaws for sure (the WTF?! moments can be infuriating), but teams value a D-man who can bring some offense.  Several teams (especially ones who think that they can "fix" him) will give him Top 4 minutes.  He would never be a healthy scratch here or third-pair guy here...doing so would obviously hurt his value plenty.  And he's not going to take less money than his current AAV...he does just enough that someone will see the decent offensive numbers and overpay him.  There's always GMs who can't help themselves...Seves will get at least 5 years and $5.5 million per.  

Guess there's a chance Seves and Graves could both start the season here, but I'd like to see one of them dealt for a need elsewhere before the season starts.

And sure, would like to get some permanent pieces in a deal for either, but Seves is a UFA-to-be who can do some good things but overall can't really be called GOOD...not sure the pieces you'd get back would amount to all that much down the line.  At the very least, if I'm moving him for JT or Tarasenko, I find out if either guy's willing to sign with my franchise, and what they're looking for.    

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Seves just finished his best offensive season (and put up a whopping 37 points over his last 50 GP).  He has flaws for sure (the WTF?! moments can be infuriating), but teams value a D-man who can bring some offense.  Several teams (especially ones who think that they can "fix" him) will give him Top 4 minutes.  He would never be a healthy scratch here or third-pair guy here...doing so would obviously hurt his value plenty.  And he's not going to take less money than his current AAV...he does just enough that someone will see the decent offensive numbers and overpay him.  There's always GMs who can't help themselves...Seves will get at least 5 years and $5.5 million per.  

Guess there's a chance Seves and Graves could both start the season here, but I'd like to see one of them dealt for a need elsewhere before the season starts.

And sure, would like to get some permanent pieces in a deal for either, but Seves is a UFA-to-be who can do some good things but overall can't really be called GOOD...not sure the pieces you'd get back would amount to all that much down the line.  At the very least, if I'm moving him for JT or Tarasenko, I find out if either guy's willing to sign with my franchise, and what they're looking for.    

In my opinion, Severson is probably at his peak value right now and we should be taking advantage of that. Its’s time to move him, even if it means bringing up Okhotiuk or Walsh or whoever to take his place. 

We’ll never get more for him than right now. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

In my opinion, Severson is probably at his peak value right now and we should be taking advantage of that. Its’s time to move him, even if it means bringing up Okhotiuk or Walsh or whoever to take his place. 

We’ll never get more for him than right now. 

Yeah, I'm really hoping that Seves is moved ahead of the season, for the very reason you just suggested...his value will likely never be higher than it is right now.  And the Devils do have other needs.

As of right now, other than Jack, Nico, and Palat, they have exactly ONE forward under contract for next season:  Mercer.  I still fully expect Bratt to join them...we'll see what happens with Wood.  Sharangovich will be a RFA (suspect he gets re-signed, but he's gotta prove that he can produce in the first halves of seasons too).  Tatar and Johnsson will be goners.  Gotta see how McLeod's situation plays out, but I can see him being gone too (as an unqualified RFA, at the very least). Bastian is also an RFA.  Along with Tatar and Johnsson, Haula is also a UFA.  Of course Holtz will be joining the big club, but not sure when, or how effective he'll be.

So that's why even though JT Miller or Tarasenko are a little older than we'd like...it's not like the Devils are chock full of forwards right now.  There's definitely room to bring one in...a deal centered around Seves might get it done. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

I'd love to see Seves + something for Josh Anderson.

Habs need a Right D. We need a guy like Anderson to play with Jack and let Jack make his numbers better.

I'd like to use Jack like Pitt uses Crosby. Get good wingers and let the center make them better.

I 100% believe Jack can do that.

Anderson is signed for 5 more years at like 5-1/2 I think. May be a little old at the end of his deal(32), but we don't blow out our cap, get a faster big guy with hands and already have (hopefully) Seves replacement with Nemec.

3 minutes ago, John Wensink said:

I'd love to see Seves + something for Josh Anderson.

Habs need a Right D. We need a guy like Anderson to play with Jack and let Jack make his numbers better.

I'd like to use Jack like Pitt uses Crosby. Get good wingers and let the center make them better.

I 100% believe Jack can do that.

Anderson is signed for 5 more years at like 5-1/2 I think. May be a little old at the end of his deal(32), but we don't blow out our cap, get a faster big guy with hands and already have (hopefully) Seves replacement with Nemec.

Yikes...Anderson's career numbers to date aren't so far off Zacha's...more goals and less assists, but as far as GP and points goes, right in the ballpark.

Would like to see the Devils fetch a better return for Seves + a piece or two than that.    

• Like 1

Great sign. Even if he will play on the lower level, but on acceptable level, it would be ok deal. Good timing, good length. Siegenthaler has a lot of defensive tools, strong on the board, skating very well. If he will add 10-12points, this deal will be laughable. Another great move by Fitz. Im worry he works good so hard just because he can't find agreement with Bratt and trying to compensate.)

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

“Failure Fitz” must have been napping when this deal got done… :lol:

Someone on this board... let's call him "Failure Fan" for entertainment purpose, has also been napping recently eh? Haven't heard much from him. He's literally only contributing to this board when there's something negative to say. When there's good things happening. You don't hear from him at all. 

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

Someone on this board... let's call him "Failure Fan" for entertainment purpose, has also been napping recently eh? Haven't heard much from him. He's literally only contributing to this board when there's something negative to say. When there's good things happening. You don't hear from him at all. 

Yeah nothing from DM84 lately….. definitely loud in his silence lol

Edited by MadDog2020

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

He was banned.  Some others were as well, right around the same time.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Great sign. Even if he will play on the lower level, but on acceptable level, it would be ok deal. Good timing, good length. Siegenthaler has a lot of defensive tools, strong on the board, skating very well. If he will add 10-12points, this deal will be laughable. Another great move by Fitz. Im worry he works good so hard just because he can't find agreement with Bratt and trying to compensate.)

That's kind of what i'm thinking... There's a real possibility that in a few years this guy is on our 3rd pairing simply cause there's better guys ahead. So this deal is perfect. Unlike say if Severson drops to the first pairing (or Subban last year)... you can't have guys getting paid that much on your 3rd pairing.. well... you "can" but its not ideal.

Im really digging this deal.

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He was banned.  Some others were as well, right around the same time.  

Oh lol

Well to be fair, even when he wasn't banned he'd do the same exact thing. So i couldn't really see the difference haha

13 minutes ago, MB3 said:

dude whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?!!?!? The Canadians couldn't attach a 1st round pick to anderson to trade him for nothing. he's a "shoot first / shoot only / play no defense" winger who's scored more than 20 goals ONCE in his six year career and is signed at one of the worst contracts in the sport. 

I admittedly don't follow the Habs closely, but it seemed he played well with a smaller center. If its a crap idea, it's a crap idea. Just throwing stuff out there. I'm fine with staying pat, and seeing what we need / can get in-season. Worried about giving up too much for a single season of Miller though.

A great deal, it's what I hoped for and TF got it done, good job by all involved.

Now if they want to do one more of these and can get Sharangovich on a similar friendly deal, I would think about doing that as well.

I know not everyone is convinced on YS maybe, but if you look at what he did the second half last season, it was really good.

I think a deal with him makes a lot of sense, as if he has a big season this year, which is possible if he's playing with Jack, it's going to be a lot more expensive.

They now have two valuable D a left and right available on their last years of their contracts, and I think it's important they move one of them before training camp.

I think it has to be Severson, but if Graves gets a really nice offer or he is part of a bigger deal for that missing top 6 guy, you can deal him now.

If they go into the season with both of them, I think that is a mistake, as if you get to the trade deadline and they are competing well, there's a chance you trade neither and that would be a big miss on getting back valuable assets for two good players.

The idea of trading both now is enticing, but they would need to sign another veteran D, and not sure there is anyone out there who fit the bill, but 1 of them needs to be moved.

One more thing, I think it's really important to get 1 of Bahl & Okhotyuk into the lineup for good amount of games this season and see if they can be part of the answer for the Devils.

In watching both of them, Ok would be the guy I give that chance to as I think his skating really fits well with the rest of the team, and he has that nasty part of his game the team is missing.

If the Devils agree, I think you can use Severson and Bahl as a secondary piece along with a guy like Foote, and try to get a big fish.

I know we hear about Miller and Tarasenko, but what about Timo Meier? I don't know that Severson fits them so it might have to be something else, but he & Nico playing together sounds really nice.

2 minutes ago, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

A great deal, it's what I hoped for and TF got it done, good job by all involved.

Now if they want to do one more of these and can get Sharangovich on a similar friendly deal, I would think about doing that as well.

I know not everyone is convinced on YS maybe, but if you look at what he did the second half last season, it was really good.

I think a deal with him makes a lot of sense, as if he has a big season this year, which is possible if he's playing with Jack, it's going to be a lot more expensive.

They now have two valuable D a left and right available on their last years of their contracts, and I think it's important they move one of them before training camp.

I think it has to be Severson, but if Graves gets a really nice offer or he is part of a bigger deal for that missing top 6 guy, you can deal him now.

If they go into the season with both of them, I think that is a mistake, as if you get to the trade deadline and they are competing well, there's a chance you trade neither and that would be a big miss on getting back valuable assets for two good players.

The idea of trading both now is enticing, but they would need to sign another veteran D, and not sure there is anyone out there who fit the bill, but 1 of them needs to be moved.

Yeah not much to dislike about Siegs being re-signed...his contract is plenty reasonable.

Re:  Sharangovich and his second halves, that's the problem...two years in a row he heated up in what amounted to garbage time, after slow starts.  He needs to produce over a full season...he can't be putting up 17 points through 40 GP again to start this season.  I'd maybe give him three years beyond this one (effectively under team control for four years) at $3.5 AAV, but I'd be a little nervous about it.

1 minute ago, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

One more thing, I think it's really important to get 1 of Bahl & Okhotyuk into the lineup for good amount of games this season and see if they can be part of the answer for the Devils.

In watching both of them, Ok would be the guy I give that chance to as I think his skating really fits well with the rest of the team, and he has that nasty part of his game the team is missing.

If the Devils agree, I think you can use Severson and Bahl as a secondary piece along with a guy like Foote, and try to get a big fish.

I know we hear about Miller and Tarasenko, but what about Timo Meier? I don't know that Severson fits them so it might have to be something else, but he & Nico playing together sounds really nice.

Timo Meier would be my pick of who i'd want to target if we were going for an upcoming UFA. Him and Hischier are always fvcking awesome together

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'd maybe give him three years beyond this one (effectively under team control for four years) at $3.5 AAV, but I'd be a little nervous about it.

I think I would be OK with that deal, I'd even say maybe $3-3.2m for 5 years. I feel like he's got tremendous potential, as the team improves around him he should produce more consistently. 

One of those deals where if it works out like you think, you may get a few years at the end at a bargain. 

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Timo Meier would be my pick of who i'd want to target if we were going for an upcoming UFA. Him and Hischier are always fvcking awesome together

Just saw he’s an upcoming UFA. Maybe we could get on the cheap.

Edited by devlman

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think I would be OK with that deal, I'd even say maybe $3-3.2m for 5 years. I feel like he's got tremendous potential, as the team improves around him he should produce more consistently. 

One of those deals where if it works out like you think, you may get a few years at the end at a bargain. 

At three years or so, it's one of those roll-of-the-dice deals that you hope pays off, but doesn't cripple you if it doesn't (and is usually tradeable).  Think Andreas Johnsson's current contract (though that was four years, to be fair)...was able to moved from the Leafs, and his hit was never an issue for the Devils (though his lack of production often was).  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I do get the concern with YS, but if we look back to a year ago and we had signed Bratt to a 5 year deal with an AVG of 4.5 or close to 5, I think everyone would have lost it, and now, it would be one of the best bargains in the league.

I am not saying he has that same potential, but I do think a deal for 4 a year could have the same type feeling if we can get it done.

I think he had some really bad puck luck to begin last season, and Jack getting hurt did not help, but he finished the season producing, and you can say it was garbage time but he did it even without Jack's help, so that's a positive to me.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, devlman said:

Just saw he’s an upcoming UFA. Maybe we could get on the cheap.

One of those questions where which Timo's the real Timo?  Guy's production has been all over the place.

But given how he's played with Nico, I'd probably take the gamble here.  Seves + two other pieces (figure one decent prospect, one lesser), and of course I gauge his interest in re-signing here.  Given his overall track record, he really shouldn't be asking for the moon...$6.5 - 7 million AAV over six seasons seems pretty fair.    

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

One of those questions where which Timo's the real Timo?  Guy's production has been all over the place.

But given how he's played with Nico, I'd probably take the gamble here.  Seves + two other pieces (figure one decent prospect, one lesser), and of course I gauge his interest in re-signing here.  Given his overall track record, he really shouldn't be asking for the moon...$6.5 - 7 million AAV over six seasons seems pretty fair.    

Given their embrace of a full on rebuild, I don’t see them having interest in Minus Man. I’d think two top-10 prospects and a 2nd rounder would be the start. 

1 minute ago, devlman said:

Given their embrace of a full on rebuild, I don’t see them having interest in Minus Man. I’d think two top-10 prospects and a 2nd rounder would be the start. 

Probably starting with Holtz then, plus something else.  

37 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well, my issue with both Anderson and Meier is that they aren't Tarasenko or Miller, buut I like the idea of those guys maybe bring a pick this way possibly. Didn't Anderson know Jack from USNTDP? Severson bring back one of those two plus a pick or something. 

Maybe Fitz is fine with staying patient for right now to see how the season starts. Some of these guys who had 100+ points will fall back to earth a little I think, minus McJesus and Matthews. Maybe all the RHD's coming in freak out Severson a little bit and he plays lights out based on competition and actually wanting to stay here. Either way, it's fine to just let him walk too. I wouldn't be crazy about it, but we'll be fine even if we get nothing for him. 

Bratt's hearing is on August 3rd for arbitration
Wood's is set for August 6th, but the Devils filed for arbitration while Bratt filed for it as a player. 

I think the case with Wood for team-filed is that we can't walk away from whatever the arbitrator awards unless it is for more than like 5.2 million a year or something.