Grade Fitzgerald's Offseason

MB3

Grade Fitzgerald's Offseason  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Fitzgerald's Offseason

• (A) - Could not have been better. I'm thrilled.
    • (B) - The team is much better and I'm happy with the moves that were/weren't made.
    • (C) - Meh. It was a fine offseason. I'm not thrilled but I'm not angry.
    • (D) - Could've been worse, but it was a really poor offseason.
    • (F) - I've created four different nicknames that start with F. He's a failure, and this team is fvcked.

Presenting a re-cap of his offseason without adding my own personal opinion, for now.

MOVES MADE:

1. Drafted Nemec 2nd Overall
  2. Acquired Marino from Pittsburgh
  3. Acquired Vanicek from Washington
  4. Signed Ondrej Palat to a 6/30 contract.
  5. Signed Brendan Smith to a 2/2.2 contract.
  6. Re-Signed Jonas Siegenthaler to a 5/17 contract.
  7. Re-Signed Jesper Bratt to a 1/5.5 contract. 
  8. Traded Pavel Zacha for Erik Haula
  9. Fired all assistant coaches / Added coach Andrew Brunette to the team. 

MOVES NOT MADE (Many his fault. Many out of his control.) -- These were all on the wishlist of many Devils fans. 

1. Slafkovsky was taken first, and the Devils still drafted 2OA.
  2. Did not trade for DeBrincat.
  3. Did not trade for Tkachuk.
  4. Did not trade for Fiala.
  5. Did not sign Gaudreau.
  6. Did not reach a long-term agreement with Jesper Bratt.
  7. Did not move the contracts of Johnsson, Tatar, Bernier.
  8. Did not add an impact scorer. 
  9. Did not get any bigger or stronger. 

Pull up your red pen, kiddies. Let's see what you grade Fitz, and explain why you got there. 

Edited by MB3
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I voted C. My real vote would probably be a C+ or B-. Here's why:

Going into the offseason, I had a wishlist in mind of what moves I would've liked to have seen. If I judge him based on how he completed those goals, it would look something like this:

1. Add a top-line winger to play next to Jack.
    1. I'd give Fitz an F for this. Several big-impact players were acquired this offseason and none of them are in red and black. Ondrej Palat is a nice piece but he is not this.
  2. Add a second depth winger and a 3rd line center.
    1. This is an A+. Palat is exactly the type of guy you want to add for this role, and Haula pushes Mercer into the top-6 which helps with how big of a whiff Fitz had on A. 
  3. Shore up the defense in any way possible.
    1. This is a B+. Locking up Siegenthaler is an A+++++. Marino is a great add, and Nemec is probably 15 months away from being our 2nd pairing defenseman. 
  4. Add an impact goaltender and move on from Blackwood.
    1. I'll go "B" for this. Vanicek is fine. He's not sensational but he's better than the trash we threw out last year. The Devils seem content on keeping blackwood. I hope that isn't a mistake.  
  5. Make dramatic changes to the coaching staff.
    1. This is a C for me, for the sole reason that Lindy Ruff is still the head coach. Assistant coach moves are about as good as you could ask for, but I have no faith in the guy steering the ship. 
Edited by MB3
  • Like 2

A lot of Fitz’ offseason has been ‘he tried but can’t fault him’ (ie Tkachuck, Gaudreau, Slaf)). I gave a C.

Pros:

• Removing two absolute on-ice liabilities in Zacha/Smith.
  • Removing the assistants and replacing them with two gems.
  • Adding on ice leadership in Palat, which was sorely needed.

Cons:

• We still desperately need an elite winger. I don’t believe Sharangovich can consistently fill the role of the lethal, efficient sniper. We need more players that can finish for Hughes. Hopefully Meier is still in play.
  • Missing out on Debrincat really stings. We had the prospects to pull a deal. Fiala, too.
  • More should be made of our goalie situation. A lot of you seem very satisfied but I’m still scared sh!tless. We are banking on Blackwood’s terrible rebound control being injury related. And, Vanecek is decent yes but who is our third stringer? THATS seriously been a big issue. When these guys get hurt at the same time (and you know they will), are we going back to Daws? I hope Fitz is better prepared this time.
  • Thomas Tatar and Andreas Johnsson are still on this team.
Edited by devlman

I gave him a B. Overall, he did the best he could with what he had to work with. In the end, if players aren't willing to come here I don't blame him for their personal decisions.... Also... Columbus is just.... Wow. How can NJ compete with that?

Time will tell on the Palat deal, Bratt and the draft. Bratt situation likely was the right move for everyone.

The Devils didn't win the off season this summer. Maybe this is a good sign?

I gave a B. Defensive needs addressed, goalie needs addressed (hopefully), coaching needs addressed (I think the assistants were more the issue than Ruff). Signed one of the top 5 free agents available. 

Most of the things on the “did not” list are nonsense, or at least potential nonsense, because those matters aren’t really in Fitz’s control, no matter how much we want to pretend they are. Getting rid of Johnsson and Tatar would have been good, but can’t have been easy. I assume Bernier will go LTIR so I’m not worried about that. 

A top line winger or true stud goalie (I don’t know one was available) would have made this an A for me. We’re a much better team on paper than last year, and that warrants a B in my book. 

I'm kind of between C++. 

I don't mind not trading for Fiala or Debrincat cause at the end of the day it was clear that he had a bigger fish in his scope, which was Tkachuk. Tried to trade for him at the draft and then kept himself in a position to potentially acquire him. He would brought a different element in our top 6 that we didn't have and that's a good way to build a winning team. Obviously in hindsight we didn't have what it took to trade for him but i still support that approach to swing for the fences in this case. 

Fiala or Debrincat are fine players but they are also smallish guys that i wouldn't mind signing as UFAs but not trade assets for. But not trade top assets for.

The goalie situation, i do agree that he's taking a pretty big gamble (from my perspective anyway). But at the same time, there's almost no guarantee with goalies these days and god knows if other UFA goalies would have come here. He made a move before the other guys moved so maybe it was good in the end. We'll see about this one.

Also im really loving what he did with our Dcorp for now and the future.

Also overall we still have some good flexibility in the lineup to get better if the situation arise 

Coaching moves. A++.

Overall we're a better team that we were last year.

13 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Absolute failure of an off-season and you're all fvcking idiots for having an opinion otherwise, something, something, something, insert insult about your wife. #FailureFitz

Did I do it right?

doxx someone real quick and post their full name on here and you’ve nailed it. 

B. Would give him A if he could Bratt and\or Sharangovich long term on reasonable deal. Or somehow drafted Slafkovsky. 
Palat is a good sign, but we dont have clutch and\or power forwards for the next ten years. Debrinkat, Fiala or Gaidreau or other fancy stuff will not fix really, it`s reasonable to not spend half of kingdom for them,  but lack of interior forward on the long perspective is still here. 
I like coaches, I like goalies more than options that were there, I like how he managed, but this devils team will not be real contender before we will find interior forwards long term. I understand that things will not changed in one year, but I`m talking about long term plan. I like how he adressed RD.
I`m ok with one year Bratt sign, its better than 2 years or three years deal for now, good they did sign him before arb, but still it is not long term. Understand agent situation and Bratt gamble on himself, but still. 

Would be great to trade Johnsson and\or Tatar and sign Nino for two years. Even for more money than Nashville gave. 
Happy with Smith trade. He was bad in his first year, he was awful in his second. There were a lot of LD signs and drafting, very reasonable move to trade him for a guy like Marino. Hope guy will fit there.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, MB3 said:

doxx someone real quick and post their full name on here and you’ve nailed it. 

Fine, I’ll dive on the grenade, his name is Paul Sherman, he lives at 42 Wallaby Way in Sydney, Australia.

I give Fitz a B

Zachas gone and we got Haula. 

Marino is an upgrade over Smith (at least last year’s version for sure) and he’s under contract long term.

We didn’t get to arbitration with Bratt, that’s nice.

Siegs is locked up.

Vanecek realistically speaking shouldn’t have a lingering chronic injury we didn’t know about and he also shouldn’t want to quit 4 days into camp, so no three strike disaster there.

Palat is a nice add.

No more nASS or chunky behind the bench, and Ruff’s eventual replacement is also under contract. I call that a massive win.

• Like 2

Went with a B.  Think Fitz has largely had a smart, reasonable offseason.

Still some offseason left too…I can see guys like Tatar and/or Johnsson still being moved prior to the season opener.  

• Like 1

B

He did plenty. Lots of addition by subtraction (Recchi, Nas, Ty, Zacha), and guys like Marino and Palat are going to help win hockey games. Most importantly - he added a solid goaltender. Landing one of the ex-Flames would have been exciting, but I’m not going to kill him for not getting one of them either.

He also swung for the fences with the Nemec pick (and yet the same people that continually bring up Nico over Makar are still bitching) instead of just taking Shane Wright.

Now we just need the young core to stay healthy, continue to progress, and a nice bounce back season from Hamilton. 

• Like 2

I’m between a B and a C but closer to B. Love the moves on defense. Palat is a solid addition. Vanecek helps but it’s also going to come down to Blackwood bouncing back and staying healthy. 20 games of Daws won’t be good. No knock to him, I’d just like him to have a full AHL season. But we weren’t getting Campbell or Husso so Vanecek is a good 1a/1B  

Nemec could be a huge pick in 5 years. We clearly passed on Debrincat, Fiala, etc because we were looking for a Tkachuk type but I’m glad we didn’t match Florida’s offer. We were in the running for Gaudreau but you can’t make him want to be here. 

Smith and Zacha swapped with Marino and Haula are great moves. Coaching hires are fantastic  

There’s probably still a few more moves.  I don’t think both Johnsson and Tatar are here opening night. One of them is probably unloaded. And if Fitz really wants to swing for the fences, maybe Severson gets moves for a forward. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 2

I liked all his moves, really can't complain, so it's a B from me.

Would have been really stoked for the season if Slafkovsky and Tkachuk made it into the organization, but there's not too much more I could have asked for. And missing on those two players was not Fitz's fault in the slightest. Definitely the best offseason in quite a while, but just can't call it perfect. About as close to an A as you can get.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, nessus said:

Definitely the best offseason in quite a while, but just can't call it perfect. About as close to an A as you can get.

Perfect for me would have been moving on from Ruff - and bringing in a Trotz, Cassidy, Montgomery, etc. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Perfect for me would have been moving on from Ruff - and bringing in a Trotz, Cassidy, Montgomery, etc. 

Agree. I don’t see how anyone gives this postseason a C or less. 

Emotionally this is the best offseason in awhile since we got rid of PK Subban

Im equally as happy about getting rid of him that i would have been if we got Tkachuk in a trade for like... Johnsson. One for one. 

Edited by SterioDesign

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

Im equally as happy about getting rid of him that i would have been if we got Tkachuk in a trade for like... Johnsson. One for one. 

PK hasn’t signed anywhere yet, has he?

Ain’t over ‘til it’s over…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

PK hasn’t signed anywhere yet, has he?

Ain’t over ‘til it’s over…

We already have too many guys on the right side potentially. If Fitz re-sign him i will take it as a direct personal attack towards me

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Seek help. 

• Like 5

C+ / B- from me.  Just going to put my thoughts down for each line, don't mean to/ need to rehash the arguments had for each one lol

1. Drafted Nemec 2nd Overall - A for the asset we got here, but B-> for picking Nemec at 2.
  2. Acquired Marino from Pittsburgh -> B, I like it.
  3. Acquired Vanicek from Washington -> B, I like it but a lot to prove here.
  4. Signed Ondrej Palat to a 6/30 contract -> C+.  Like the player, contract is meh.
  5. Signed Brendan Smith to a 2/2.2 contract -> C, doesn't move the needle.
  6. Re-Signed Jonas Siegenthaler to a 5/17 contract -> B, lots of term and hope it pans out.  Like the player.
  7. Re-Signed Jesper Bratt to a 1/5.5 contract - D+, but this is probably just as much Bratt's a$$hole agent's fault.
  8. Traded Pavel Zacha for Erik Haula - B+, cancer removed.  Return is meh for what Zacha should have been but it is what it is.
  9. Fired all assistant coaches / Added coach Andrew Brunette to the team - A+, love all these hires.

MOVES NOT MADE (Many his fault. Many out of his control.) -- These were all on the wishlist of many Devils fans. 

1. Slafkovsky was taken first, and the Devils still drafted 2OA -> Really unfortunate, but what can ya do.  No grade, not Fitz's fult.
  2. Did not trade for DeBrincat -> F, without knowing what was offered.  Big miss.
  3. Did not trade for Tkachuk -> F, without knowing what was offered.  Another big miss.
  4. Did not trade for Fiala -> C-
  5. Did not sign Gaudreau -> No grade on Fitz here, fvck this guy.
  6. Did not reach a long-term agreement with Jesper Bratt -> F, but again might largely be the fault of Bratt's agent.
  7. Did not move the contracts of Johnsson, Tatar, Bernier -> C, no need to do so currently.
  8. Did not add an impact scorer -> D for reasons above.
  9. Did not get any bigger or stronger -> D, Tkachuk made too much sense.
  • Like 1