Grade Fitzgerald's Offseason

MB3

Grade Fitzgerald's Offseason  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Fitzgerald's Offseason

• (A) - Could not have been better. I'm thrilled.
    • (B) - The team is much better and I'm happy with the moves that were/weren't made.
    • (C) - Meh. It was a fine offseason. I'm not thrilled but I'm not angry.
    • (D) - Could've been worse, but it was a really poor offseason.
    • (F) - I've created four different nicknames that start with F. He's a failure, and this team is fvcked.

I didn’t expect him to strikeout on all of Fiala, Debrincat, Gaudreau, and Tkachuk. I figured we’d get at least one of them. Wasn’t a fan of the assets I assumed we’d have to give up but in the end all of these trades seemed manageable on our. That’s my main gripe. 

Don’t know much about Vanecek but I thought the goaltending situation needed more attention.

Happy with the draft. RHD was originally on my list to draft but I became a fan of Slaf like most of us. In the end I think drafting Nemec rounds out our team just as well, maybe better, than if we drafted Slaf. 

Getting Brunette was very nice. Last assistant staff was kept on for way too long.

Not sure how I feel about the Bratt “extension” yet. I guess I’ll have to see how it plays out going forward.

Marino for Smith is a good deal. 

Zacha for Haula is good.

Signing Smith was fine

Siegenthaler extension was nice.

Overall decent moves but I’m worried it’s not enough for this upcoming season at least. I have a feeling it’s another bottom 12 finish. Striking out on a winger and the goaltending issues are bringing the score to a C for me. I guess I just expected more. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Overall decent moves but I’m worried it’s not enough for this upcoming season at least. I have a feeling it’s another bottom 12 finish. Striking out on a winger and the goaltending issues are bringing the score to a C for me. I guess I just expected more. 

What more did you expect him to do on the goaltending? 

11 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

We already have too many guys on the right side potentially. If Fitz re-sign him i will take it as a direct personal attack towards me

If he used a signing just to spite one fan, I would give him an A for the off-season. 

7 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

What more did you expect him to do on the goaltending? 

Husso, Campbell, a different trade, I don’t really know. Maybe Vanecek and Blackwood work out but imo goaltending was the biggest issue going into the offseason.  I’m just not sure if it was properly addressed. Hopefully I’m wrong. That’s usually the case.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Husso, Campbell, a different trade, I don’t really know. Maybe Vanecek and Blackwood work out but imo goaltending was the biggest issue going into the offseason.  I’m just not sure if it was properly addressed. Hopefully I’m wrong. That’s usually the case.

Vanecek has more career NHL games under his belt than Husso (who everyone wanted so badly). We also ended up extending VV for much less than what Husso got in Detroit. I thought Fitz played that one pretty well. 

• Like 4

There are still moves to be made I believe, with players like Kadri still on the market and teams needing to clear some cap space I think there is business to be done. 

My provisional grade is a C+. 

Vanecek is a good young goalie prospect. The alternative would have been exactly what @Nicomomentions, overpaying an older veteran. 

Obviously we won’t know until later, but this trade could end up being very, very good for us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Also, people would have lost their minds if we gave 30 year old Campbell $5x5 like Edmonton did. 

With all due respect to Jerzey, it's easy to say "Well maybe this or maybe that", as far as possible alternative moves go.  As we know, there is a bit of inconsistency with goalies from season to season...I'm fine with giving a healthier Blackwood one last look on an expiring contract, and a guy like Vanecek a potential bargain contract...especially since he's shown he can handle a starter's load.  This really is an understandable direction to go in.  

Guess I had my sights set too high because everyone, including Fitz, said it was the biggest issue they had to address. 

Honestly I was hoping for a trade involving Knight or Askarov but I know those are unrealistic because there’s no reason for the other teams involved to trade their goalies. 

Like I said I don’t know much about Vanecek. Hopefully he and Blackwood are enough to take us to the next level. I’m just not as content with the goaltending situation as I thought I’d be considering the hype behind fixing it. 

As for Husso and Campbell they were just billed as the best available. I’m not upset we didn’t sign either of them, I’m more just worried that the urgency to fix the goaltending situation didn’t seem too urgent.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Guess I had my sights set too high because everyone, including Fitz, said it was the biggest issue they had to address. 

Honestly I was hoping for a trade involving Knight or Askarov but I know those are unrealistic because there’s no reason for the other teams involved to trade their goalies. 

Like I said I don’t know much about Vanecek. Hopefully he and Blackwood are enough to take us to the next level. I’m just not as content with the goaltending situation as I thought I’d be considering the hype behind fixing it. 

As for Husso and Campbell they were just billed as the best available. I’m not upset we didn’t sign either of them, I’m more just worried that the urgency to fix the goaltending situation didn’t seem too urgent.

They did address it...provided Vanecek and Blackwood stay healthy (and sure, things could most certainly go wrong in that department), this year's goaltending should at least be league average.  That doesn't sound exciting or sexy, but it would actually be a huge step forward.

And yeah, they weren't likely to get Knight or Askarov, for the reason you just said.

Am I convinced that a combo of Vanecek and Blackwood is winning a Cup?  Of course not.  But the Devils weren't likely to go right from the mess last season to "future Cup goalies".  They got a competent goalie being paid reasonably in Vanecek.  If Blackwood gets back to his first two NHL seasons-form, they should be decent.  Still relatively young too.  If they combine for a .910 - .915 save%, I'll happily take it.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

I can’t really criticize a guy for not trading for players that were never available. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm giving Fitz a solid B thus far.

Drafted Nemec 2nd Overall -    C    I thought there could have been a move made to get something extra out of this but from all the chatter around it seems like Fitz was trying to pitch this pick to Calgary for Tkachuk. I was also hoping for Cooley so it pains me a bit to see him go 3rd. They took the guy they wanted at 2 and I'll trust the scouts over myself.

Acquired Marino from Pittsburgh -    A    Ty was horrid last year. Like seriously just fvcking terrible. They traded away a very much in the works prospect for a solid two way defense-man locked up long term with a very reasonable contract.

Acquired Vanicek from Washington -    B    Young and cheap with ok numbers. Avoids all the big contracts for older vets. At the very least this should help stabilize the goalie position. I know many are already writing off Blackwood but I still have hope that he is going to rebound. VV gives us the peace of mind that even if Mack is bad again that we have someone that should be able to play the top role and not be a leaky faucet. If VV gives us average numbers then its a good deal. If VV gets better than he currently is then its a pretty big steal.

Signed Ondrej Palat to a 6/30 contract. - C+, I like Palat a lot but I am not a fan of the contract. 6 million AAV is not the worst but 5 years is rough.

Signed Brendan Smith to a 2/2.2 contract. -   C-   This move does nothing for me but whatever its a depth signing. Hopefully he is the 7th D-man and we have some of the young blood sneak force their way onto the team.

Re-Signed Jonas Siegenthaler to a 5/17 contract. -   A   great value for someone who really put up elite defensive metrics on a team with some of the worst defensive play in the league.

Re-Signed Jesper Bratt to a 1/5.5 contract. -  C+   Is it the great long term extension at a team friendly cap hit like Hughes, no. But its not a 3 year "walk me to Free Agency, I am getting out of here" either. Bratt is betting on himself and trying to show the team that 2022 Bratt is real. I hope he isn't listening to one-sidedly to his agent though.

Traded Pavel Zacha for Erik Haula -   F   Zacha is gone and so are the almost meme's. This board will never recover from this new content drought. (C,   Haula is fine, I thought Fitz could have gotten a bit more for Zacha. At least the frustration of watching Zacha put up 20 phenomenal games just to disappear for the rest of the season is over.)

Fired all assistant coaches / Added coach Andrew Brunette to the team -    B    Good coaching hires but I would have liked to see Ruff gone as well. I understand that with all the injuries it feels like he hasn't really been given a fair shot yet and he has gotten the offense actually produce so I don't really hold this as too big of a negative. As long as he has a short leash.

MOVES NOT MADE

Did not trade for DeBrincat -  F   hard to explain this one. In a sea of moves I either am ok with or fully agree with this is one that I think will haunt us. I don't give a sh!t about the "too many small players" angle. This is a 24 year old 40 goal scorer and he could have been had for no roster players. I have to feel like 2OA beats out 7OA and 39OA and if it wasn't offered then I am very disappointed.

Did not trade for Tkachuk -   C    So many rumors about potential offers. For what was given by Florida I am content for Fitz to not have made an equivalent trade.

Did not trade for Fiala - D    I think 2OA for Fiala would have been too much but with what LA gave up to get him you would think we could have made it work otherwise

Did not sign Gaudreau - B    I wouldn't have been mad if we got JG but I was pretty skeptical about how he will age with whatever contract he got.

Did not move the contracts of Johnsson, Tatar, Bernier - C    No need to yet as far as cap reasons go. Maybe they can ship them off at another point. Bernier will probably be LTIRetirment.

Did not add an impact scorer - C    I am more a believer of building through the draft than trading anyways

Did not get any bigger or stronger - C   Marino is like 2 inches taller and like 5 lbs heavier than Ty Smith so technically incorrect.

Edited by WaffleFries

16 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Emotionally this is the best offseason in awhile since we got rid of PK Subban

Im equally as happy about getting rid of him that i would have been if we got Tkachuk in a trade for like... Johnsson. One for one. 

I'm surprised you didn't give him an A+++++++ just for getting rid of PK 😀

• Haha 1

I think Fitz deserves a solid B so far.

I can't blame him for any move that didn't happen. He was clearly in on Gaudreau and Tkachuk. They chose to go elsewhere and I'm pretty sure every GM of every team doesn't get every player they go after.

Positives 

Getting rid of nASS, Rechi, Zacha, Smith & PK.

Adding the new coaches, Marino, Palat, Haula, Vanicek and Nemec.

Negatives

Not getting rid of Ruff (but, there's in-house replacements available if/when he screws up).

Not getting rid of Tatar/Johnsson

23 hours ago, MB3 said:

1. Shore up the defense in any way possible.
    1. This is a B+. Locking up Siegenthaler is an A+++++. Marino is a great add, and Nemec is probably 15 months away from being our 2nd pairing defenseman. 

Just curious, but what more do you think could have or should have been done that would have given him an A for the defense ? 

I realize a B+ isn't bad but I feel like he pretty much nailed it with all of the D moves that allow for both immediate improvement while also setting it up perfectly to grow into one of the league best in about 3 years.  

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

Just curious, but what more do you think could have or should have been done that would have given him an A for the defense ? 

I realize a B+ isn't bad but I feel like he pretty much nailed it with all of the D moves that allow for both immediate improvement while also setting it up perfectly to grow into one of the league best in about 3 years.  

I don't really have an answer, so I guess A it is :P 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Aitchmack said:

I'm surprised you didn't give him an A+++++++ just for getting rid of PK 😀

I actually forgot about it. I'm already moved on and hopefully we'll never have to refer to this era ever again. Not like he had any impact overall. He just came and went. It will soon just feel like a bad dream.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aitchmack said:

I think Fitz deserves a solid B so far.

I can't blame him for any move that didn't happen. He was clearly in on Gaudreau and Tkachuk. They chose to go elsewhere and I'm pretty sure every GM of every team doesn't get every player they go after.

Positives 

Getting rid of nASS, Rechi, Zacha, Smith & PK.

Adding the new coaches, Marino, Palat, Haula, Vanicek and Nemec.

Negatives

Not getting rid of Ruff (but, there's in-house replacements available if/when he screws up).

Not getting rid of Tatar/Johnsson

I fully agree but at the same time they will be good competition for the younger guys trying to win a spot. And it's really younger guys forcing their way into the lineup that can make these guys obsolete

The off-season moves were ok.  I think a C+ is appropriate.  However, as the season progresses, and we all know hindsight is 20/20, we might look back and give it an A.  I say this because, if Hughes continues where he left off before injury, Palat can give that veteran presence that is lacking in the top 6 and play with pace, Bratt continues to play with the same consistency, Nico continues his solid 2-way play, Wood comes back with a solid 20 goal season, Mercer takes a step forward in his development, Hamilton plays at the level he is paid for, MB and VV play average in net, the PP improves to league average and the PK doesn’t give up 12 SGs, they will do well.  Then there is Holtz, Zetterlund, Boqvist and Tyce that come in and have an impact in the bottom and/or middle 6, which would give the Devils the depth I think they lack. especially, on the third line.  I’m not confident Tatar and Johnson will have any success in the bottom 6.  I’m assuming our top 6 will be a combination of Hughes, Bratt, Palat, Nico, Mercer and Sharangovich and a bottom 6 of Wood, Haula, Tatar, Johnson, McLeod and Bastian.  I’d like to see Zetterlund, Boqvist and Holtz start the season in place of McLeod, Johnson and Tatar.  Feel free to rip apart my take.  I appreciate the responses.

7 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I fully agree but at the same time they will be good competition for the younger guys trying to win a spot. And it's really younger guys forcing their way into the lineup that can make these guys obsolete

I don't disagree with you, but moving one of them would have created a spot for a younger player. I guess, training camp will show who deserves to be in the line up and will help Fitz make his mind up on further moves.

I couldn't wait for last season to end and now I can't wait for training camp to start!

A for Fitz. He made the team better.  Wasn't excited about goalie. Thank God no Debrincat, Gaudreau. Would've loved #19 (Flames) Our D is way better depth-wise. Loved Marino trade. As far as Johnsson/Tatar still on this team? Another team has to WANT either.  WANT them! Willing to give up assets for?  

You want them gone! If Fitz got crap back, you fans would say he didn't get enough back?  

15 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

A for Fitz. He made the team better.  Wasn't excited about goalie. Thank God no Debrincat, Gaudreau. Would've loved #19 (Flames) Our D is way better depth-wise. Loved Marino trade. As far as Johnsson/Tatar still on this team? Another team has to WANT either.  WANT them! Willing to give up assets for?  

You want them gone! If Fitz got crap back, you fans would say he didn't get enough back?  

I do think he will absolutely move one of them, for minimum return.  No one should expect anything back…if Fitz manages to get a fifth-rounder for either, I’d say he did a hell of a job.

They’re insurance at this point.  The Utes (Holtz tops on the list of course) will get every chance to push them out.  

• Like 1