2022 IIHF World Junior Championships - Starts Aug. 9th

RunninWithTheDevil

Holy sh!t. I think USA Hockey needs to take a long hard look at this coaching staff. To sweep your qualifiers just to get stunned by Czechia. Wow. 

EDIT: Just watched the highlights and holy sh!t. Mberko looked so good through the tourney and he had a weak one for the 3rd goal, just a weird bounce off of a blocker save. Luke had a horrible game and was really exposed so I hope the Michigan coaching staff was keeping on eye on that game. And that match penalty slew-foot. Holy fvck what was that kid thinking. Corronado missed a wide open net late in the 3rd. 

Props to the Czechia team for skating with them and to Suchanek, the Czech goalie for really holding the line there in the 3rd. Impressive performance by the Czech dmen. At least by just looking at the highlights. 

Edited by RizzMB30

49 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Holy sh!t. I think USA Hockey needs to take a long hard look at this coaching staff. To sweep your qualifiers just to get stunned by Czechia. Wow. 

EDIT: Just watched the highlights and holy sh!t. Mberko looked so good through the tourney and he had a weak one for the 3rd goal, just a weird bounce off of a blocker save. Luke had a horrible game and was really exposed so I hope the Michigan coaching staff was keeping on eye on that game. And that match penalty slew-foot. Holy fvck what was that kid thinking. Corronado missed a wide open net late in the 3rd. 

Props to the Czechia team for skating with them and to Suchanek, the Czech goalie for really holding the line there in the 3rd. Impressive performance by the Czech dmen. At least by just looking at the highlights. 

Luke was injured during the game and clearly wasn't himself after that...you can argue that he shouldn't have been out there at all, but he wanted to battle.  I don't think it a question of him being exposed.  Just hope whatever injury (lower body) he's dealing with isn't long-term. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

What an absolutely horrendous take. 

What is wrong with wanting Michigan to make Luke better defensively? He tried a NO-LOOK pass at the blue line which buried the Czechs a late empty-netter in a tight game, that's not great injury or not. My take isn't that L Hughes is bad, it's that he had a bad game and that his coaching staff for the year would be wise to review that tape with him. I find that reasonable, not horrendous. 

I mentioned that I was viewing highlights and the highlights that involved Luke Hughes were all bad barring one pretty good ozone entry. I feel asleep watching the game live and missed most of it. I didn't even see where Hughes got injured, (which isn't mentioned in the NHL.com recap) and not forcing him to sit out would still be a coaching decision. Poor discipline in international play is a coaching issue re: slewfoot penalty called on US. 

Edited by RizzMB30

7 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

What is wrong with wanting Michigan to make Luke better defensively? He tried a NO-LOOK pass at the blue line which buried the Czechs a late empty-netter in a tight game, that's not great injury or not. My take isn't that L Hughes is bad, it's that he had a bad game and that his coaching staff for the year would be wise to review that tape with him. 

I mentioned that I was viewing highlights and the highlights that involved Luke Hughes were all bad barring one pretty good ozone entry. I feel asleep watching the game live and missed most of it. I didn't even see where Hughes got injured, (which isn't mentioned in the NHL.com recap) and not forcing him to sit out would still be a coaching decision. Poor discipline in international play is a coaching issue. 

He played 5 games in this tournament, and he was fantastic in the 4 that he actually had two functioning ankles to skate on. Judging him off the one game where he was clearly laboring is pretty silly. His defense was actually really sound in the other games, including the one against a good team in Sweden. 

One bad turnover that probably came out of desperation due to not being able to rely on his biggest strength (skating) is not being “exposed.”  It’s just one bad play. And if USA hadn’t totally sh!t the bed and got down multiple goals in the first place Luke probably wouldn’t have been on the ice at all. There were shifts he literally could barely skate.