Jump to content

Devils to hire Bill Spaulding as PxP guy


mikemarc1
 Share

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Works for me... 

 

Wait, so he actually already called a game for us filling in for Cangi?  Or was that literally just an after-the-fact PBP for an audition where Dano was also there to provide some authenticity? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Wait, so he actually already called a game for us filling in for Cangi?  Or was that literally just an after-the-fact PBP for an audition where Dano was also there to provide some authenticity? 

That was just an audition, Cangi was on the original call for this game... 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Jerzey said:

I like that he doesn’t have the Def Jam white guy voice like Doc did and to a lesser extent Cangi did. He’s got some low end in his voice. 

I get the feeling you’d like Chef from South Park to be our play by play man.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was kind of hoping for a lower voice (yeah, I like Gary Thorne; that NBC guy with Rangers roots who was rumored sounded good to me, too), but I'm OK with this. Definitely a step up over Cangi. Maybe a little irritating when he REALLY raises his voice during some of those calls but overall sounds solid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Jerzey said:

I always liked Gary Thorne the most.

I know he's not well-liked due to 2001, but I have so many pleasant memories of him from his days as the Devils PbP guy in the late 80s-early 90s.  I always thought he had a great voice myself.  Enjoyed his Mets work too.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I know he's not well-liked due to 2001, but I have so many pleasant memories of him from his days as the Devils PbP guy in the late 80s-early 90s.  I always thought he had a great voice myself.  Enjoyed his Mets work too.  

I was very disappointed when he left. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I know he's not well-liked due to 2001, but I have so many pleasant memories of him from his days as the Devils PbP guy in the late 80s-early 90s.  I always thought he had a great voice myself.  Enjoyed his Mets work too.  

Gotta admit I can’t recall what happened in 2001. Did he call the finals and kind of root for the Avs or something like that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Gotta admit I can’t recall what happened in 2001. Did he call the finals and kind of root for the Avs or something like that?

He was not-so-secretly rooting for Bourque, but not like he was alone.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He was not-so-secretly rooting for Bourque, but not like he was alone.  

Yeah from what I remember about that series we were the bad guys and everyone wanted Bourque to win a cup. I haven’t seen media so openly rooting for a team to win in any sport since then. Guess I don’t remember Thorne’s commentary from the games though.

Edited by Jerzey
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jerzey said:

Gotta admit I can’t recall what happened in 2001. Did he call the finals and kind of root for the Avs or something like that?

He called the 2001 and 2003 finals like he was more interested in the Avs/Ducks winning. Screw him.

Edited by devlman
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, devlman said:

He called the 2001 and 2003 finals like he was more interested in the Avs/Ducks winning. Screw him.

I'm kind of surprised so many people care about this. I couldn't give a rats ass who he roots for, he's just there to call the playoffs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm kind of surprised so many people care about this. I couldn't give a rats ass who he roots for, he's just there to call the playoffs.

I don’t care and didn’t notice that at all. I usually just pay more attention to the game than the guy calling it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/12/2022 at 2:54 PM, bostondevil11 said:

This call rubbed a lot of Devils fans the wrong way too.

 

That's obviously not a great call because he thought the goal wasn't going to count but it shouldn't bother Devils fans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, andy said:

That's obviously not a great call because he thought the goal wasn't going to count but it shouldn't bother Devils fans.

Yeah that one doesn't bother me.  I never took it as "Oh he's trying to ruin the moment for Devils fans."  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I love everything about Gary Thorne. He's the voice of the glory days to me, even more than Doc is. 

Not sure I would call 1987-1993 the "glory days", but he was definitely the guy calling games when I was just starting out as a young fan and I was very upset when he was replaced. 

But he was replaced by one of the best guys to ever do the job. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.