Where the heck is all this money coming from!

CaptainScotty

Yeah, there was a thread like this a while back, but I chose not to resuscitate it.

How the heck are the Devils going to make payroll if things manage to remain the way they are? Our new owner is only worth 130 mil, which is a far cry from the billionaire that McMullen and the previous ownerships were.

I don't see Nieds staying here if he was 9 mil. Stevens, Brodeur and Niedermayer would amount to 25 mil just between the three of them.

Broadway salaries have made their way across the river..

Not sure where the money is coming from, but the way I see it is that they had no choice but to spend money. They had alot of UFAs & RFAs this summer. If they didn't spend the money, the Devils would have been forced to fill in these holes during the course of the season when the market price for what they needed would be way up there.

If Stevens doesn't come back this season, these new salaries are all paid for.

If he does come back, that's one year of big loss, and if Niedermayer leaves at the end of the season, that's 15 million off the books.

Plus, one of Kozlov, Hrdina, Friesen is unlikely to survive the entire season in Jersey.

Edited by Triumph

As I said in the not-resucitated thead, we'll have this gargantuan payroll and still finish next to last in goals scored. It's almost a good thing that this is all moot.

The difference between us and the Rangers is that the Rangers paid out money to bring in big names that underachieved. We on the other hand have a bunch of overachievers (how the heck did we win the cup in 2003 with that line-up? I was absolutely tickled pink that we won, but I didn't think we had the team to do it) who now deserve to be paid and we don't have the money to do it. ie Brylin. I mean, he chipped in some important goals during all 3 cup runs and now he deserves to get paid, but we don't have the money for him.

Err, guess I didn't read the whole board. Hope the rumour of the Brylin signing is true. But you get my point. Our guys earned their money with 3 cups and now we have a hard time paying everyone what they deserve.

I believe some Devils fans are having a hard time coming to terms with something, maybe the Devils are now a 'big market' team $hall we $ay????

Yes they have spent their money wisely, yes Lou is a GREAT GM, but this team has $

The Devils are not a small market team anymore. They have a new owner who has given the okay to spend money to keep their players. That's what you're seeing.

Combined with the fact that they are getting a new arena in Newark, it makes sense.

The Devils are not a small market team anymore. They have a new owner who has given the okay to spend money to keep their players. That's what you're seeing.

Combined with the fact that they are getting a new arena in Newark, it makes sense.

Its the new arena that is key to the Devils spending here. Lots of new revenue with the new arena so lots more money for payroll from an owner who loves the team.

-Scott

also, team success costs. all of these players have cups in their reumes and can point to successful playoff runs.

so, its difficult to keep the nucleus of a great team because somewhere down the line they expect to be rewarded for the success.

When the Devils fill the seats in Newark and every night is a sell-out THEN and ONLY THEN should our payroll exceed that of the New York Rangers. This here is a recipe for disaster. See Pittsburgh. We're already doing the "I'll gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today" routine like the Penguins did with Mario.

New Jersey is a lot bigger than you think Red Army. They get plenty of coverage from their papers, media and press. And because of where the team plays, they get coverage from NY media and papers as well. Of course, the coverage from NY isn't going to be as big because of where they're situated. To put it in easier terms. The Devils aren't going to be embraced the same way a New York team would be if they win.

If the Devils marketing team wanted to promote the team more, they could. But they don't want any player to be BIGGER than their team philosophy. That's the mandate from Lamoriello.

As I said in the not-resucitated thead, we'll have this gargantuan payroll and still finish next to last in goals scored. It's almost a good thing that this is all moot.

That's because all the money is tied up in defense. :P

Also, I don't think Newark has to sell out each night. There should be more revenue from advertising, luxury boxes, naming rights, etc. at the new arena. If none of that was there and they did sell out each night they still probably wouldn't have enough money.

Err, guess I didn't read the whole board. Hope the rumour of the Brylin signing is true. But you get my point. Our guys earned their money with 3 cups and now we have a hard time paying everyone what they deserve.

Thats the point Don. The rangers put the cart in front of the horse. Our players earned their raises, with the exception of freisen/kozlov/ hrdina.

the money is comming from somewhere, thats all thats important. lou knows what he is doing and wouldnt just start spending what he didnt have.

maybe he is signing people know because he feels that stevens and nieds wont be here next season (just a guess) and that would free up about 16m correct?