Jump to content

2022-23 Tickets and Prudential Center Discussion Thread


Satans Hockey
 Share

Recommended Posts

Had this thread last year but I had carried my season tickets over from the 21-22 season until now so I hadn't had to deal with this mess just yet. 

So thanks to this absolutely horrendous bullsh!t law put into place we have to put our SSN into Ticketmaster exchange so we can be so graciously blessed with filling out a 1099 bs tax form going forward.

Now my question is does anyone know if we decide to take seller credit instead of a payout if we still have to fill out these forms? I started listing some of my Devils tickets for games that I know I can't make and was wondering if this was maybe a way to avoid it since I always renew anyway so I don't have any issue with just putting the credit over to next season if it gets me out of this bs.

Also I notified a few of our local representatives to let them know my feelings on this since it's the only thing we can do.

I'm more annoyed at this because there was absolutely nothing wrong with the previous limits of 200 transactions and 20k. That's something that should be considered a small business for profit. Not us Devils season ticket holders who can barely sell the vast majority of the games for face value.

Here's the other thing, now for example if we take a loss on games do we get to deduct that from these overall taxes? Sure I might have made $100 bucks selling that Rangers game but when that just balances out to make up for the losses I made trying to sell midweek games for Arizona, Vancouver and Dallas it's nonsense. 

I normally attend almost every game so this isn't normally an issue for me but I have a schedule that doesn't line up well this season so I have to sell more than normal but even still our sh!t country has now made life more difficult for people who are simply just trying to recoup what they spent. We aren't all big fvcking ticket scalping companies. 

Speaking of that too we also pay a full price, just say $2k for an entire season, since I pay a lump sum and not per individual game can we just divide $2k by 44 games to balance out the games we lose money more on or we have to go into the account and write down every bullsh!t arbitrary value they gave to each game because of variable pricing. Plus we have to reduce the fees that Ticketbastard charges us for selling the tickets. 

This whole thing is so unnecessary and won't do sh!t to reduce the massive debt our government has.

My rant is over, fvck this law.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’d just drop my tickets. fvck that sh!t. Trust me, not being a season ticket holder is a MUCH better way to go. 

Agree, I would hate dealing with trying to sell my tix to every game that I don't go to...though there once was a time where I REALLY wanted to buy them (when the upper corners had $10 seats, when the Rock first opened)...just knew that I would never be able to go to enough games to have it make sense.  

My daughter is now a high school freshman (?!) and they love to pile on the homework, so it's probably going to be Fri/Sat/Sun games only, with rare exceptions.  Hoping to get to 10-15 this year.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

My daughter is now a high school freshman (?!) and they love to pile on the homework, so it's probably going to be Fri/Sat/Sun games only, with rare exceptions.  Hoping to get to 10-15 this year.

Exactly where I am at, but with various other theater commitments. If I get to 3 I will consider myself lucky. 

I’m at the point where I only buy aftermarket because there are always great deals available. Probably not the best thing for the team, I guess…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They Devils give us 8 buybacks so in a normal year for me it's not a big deal at all because I usually don't miss that many games. This season is just different circumstances for me so I'll just deal with the tax bs. I'm still going to be at the vast majority of the games. It's just more annoying that I have to fill out unnecessary tax work now for games that I'm selling at face value or lower 95% of the time. 

I'm not knocking the Devils at all with this if that wasn't clear, this stuff has nothing to do with them. It's a horrendous law that got snuck in with the big back better plan. It's also something I'm surprised that Ticketmaster, stubhub etc didn't try to push against since it hurts their customers more than anything else. 

I don't sell anything on ebay but this also now affects everything sold on ebay or even through venmo or PayPal if you're selling something wherever if the person doesn't send money through friends and family. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agree, I would hate dealing with trying to sell my tix to every game that I don't go to...though there once was a time where I REALLY wanted to buy them (when the upper corners had $10 seats, when the Rock first opened)...just knew that I would never be able to go to enough games to have it make sense.  

My daughter is now a high school freshman (?!) and they love to pile on the homework, so it's probably going to be Fri/Sat/Sun games only, with rare exceptions.  Hoping to get to 10-15 this year.

That was the one nice thing about the Meadowlands having a parking lot. Way back when if it was a nice day weather wise we would bring sandwiches or cook on a grill cause you could tailgate and I would do my homework in the parking lot before the games lol

Edited by Satans Hockey
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Exactly where I am at, but with various other theater commitments. If I get to 3 I will consider myself lucky. 

I’m at the point where I only buy aftermarket because there are always great deals available. Probably not the best thing for the team, I guess…

Guilty as charged, but the deals are often too reasonable to pass up, especially when it comes to Restaurant and Loft offerings.  There's absolute steals to be had sometimes.

The model more and more, as far as my watching experience goes:  start recording the game, wait for my daughter to finish her homework (which sometimes doesn't happen until it's too late), then hopefully start watching by 8:30 at the latest...blow through the intermissions, then hope to be wrapped up by 10 or so.  This makes going to games feel a little weird sometimes, in that the stoppages can feel a little longer than they really are, because you get used to blowing through all of them at home.

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

That was the one nice thing about the Meadowlands having a parking lot. Way back when if it was a nice day weather wise we would bring sandwiches or cook on a grill cause you could tailgate and I would do my homework in the parking lot before the games lol

I did my fair share of tailgating at the Meadowlands before Devils games (especially weekend matchups, early and late in the season), and I do miss that part of the experience.  I used to get a bucket of KFC and some chips, and/or a disposable charcoal grill for dogs and burgers (and beers of course)...I remember many pleasant impossibly sunny days having a blast in that parking lot.  But I do have fun when we get the Loft or Restaurant seats....me and my daughter get there around 5:50 - 6, and grab some grub, just kind of relax and chat.  An hour seems like a long time, but before you know it, it's puck-drop.  We usually make one last run up to the buffet during the first intermission...by the second intermission, if we're still eating, we're eating just to eat...we're usually plenty stuffed by then.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know I can save some money by dropping them but I like my seats and the people around me and those are two major factors for me in keeping them because having the same people around you virtually every game, for me at least is great since I know I won't be around stupid idiots or away fans the vast majority of time. 

If I ever dropped my tickets it means that either the Devils decided to go absolutely insane with the prices or I moved to the middle of bumblefvck nowhere where I can't even see a neighbor with a pair of binoculars. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I know I can save some money by dropping them but I like my seats and the people around me and those are two major factors for me in keeping them because having the same people around you virtually every game, for me at least is great since I know I won't be around stupid idiots or away fans the vast majority of time. 

If I ever dropped my tickets it means that either the Devils decided to go absolutely insane with the prices or I moved to the middle of bumblefvck nowhere where I can't even see a neighbor with a pair of binoculars. 

The cons of being a STH seem to heavily outweigh the pros. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The cons of being a STH seem to heavily outweigh the pros. 

I certainly wouldn't tell anyone to get them but for me it works. Like I said if I don't get them anymore the main reason is because I finally decided to fvck off to a compound in the middle of nowhere lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would be interesting to hear how season ticket sales are doing with this being the first full, normal, post-Covid season. 

Always amazed me how a pro team in this area, where there are tons of corporations, money, and people, can’t sell a good amount of season tickets and get the luxury boxes occupied.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Copying and pasting this from HF boards, it does make sense and I hope it's true cause while I only have Devils and Red Bulls season tickets I absolutely don't sell more than what I'm actually spending since I go to the vast majority of the games so I shouldn't owe anything if this is the case...

"Hey…I have season tickets to 5 different teams and I sell a ton of games. I asked my accountant about this recently and I was told that you get taxed on the overall number at the end of the year. So if I spend 75,000 a year on season tickets and show 80,000 in ticket sales I’m getting taxed on 5000. You’ll get a 1099 from every site you sell over 600 dollars worth. I sell on multiple sites (stub hub, Ticketmaster, vivid, TickPick, ticket evolution). I’m definitely selling over 600 on each of those sites but for someone who has one set of tickets if they sold on multiple sites they might be able to get under 600 a few times on some of the sites. Hope this answers some questions for you."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Copying and pasting this from HF boards, it does make sense and I hope it's true cause while I only have Devils and Red Bulls season tickets I absolutely don't sell more than what I'm actually spending since I go to the vast majority of the games so I shouldn't owe anything if this is the case...

"Hey…I have season tickets to 5 different teams and I sell a ton of games. I asked my accountant about this recently and I was told that you get taxed on the overall number at the end of the year. So if I spend 75,000 a year on season tickets and show 80,000 in ticket sales I’m getting taxed on 5000. You’ll get a 1099 from every site you sell over 600 dollars worth. I sell on multiple sites (stub hub, Ticketmaster, vivid, TickPick, ticket evolution). I’m definitely selling over 600 on each of those sites but for someone who has one set of tickets if they sold on multiple sites they might be able to get under 600 a few times on some of the sites. Hope this answers some questions for you."

That's my understanding as well. It's "hobby income", and you can deduct your acquisition cost only. If you were to form a business, you could also deduct overhead, such as any fees charged by the site you are using to sell them, home office expenses, etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That's my understanding as well. It's "hobby income", and you can deduct your acquisition cost only. If you were to form a business, you could also deduct overhead, such as any fees charged by the site you are using to sell them, home office expenses, etc. 

Shouldn't the fees be taken off anyway because you're not receiving that money? Like if I'm selling a pair of tickets for $100, Ticketmaster exchange takes 10% so I'm only getting $90, why would you be taxed on $100 when you don't even receive this money? I still won't end up having to pay anything even with the price before fees but that just seems ridiculous to me that's allowed to happen since the income is $90 and not $100.

I find this whole thing to be a giant nuisance. If they wanted to tax people who do this as a side business then lower the gross threshold from 20k and 200 transactions to either 10k/5k and 100/50 transactions. At least that would have made sense and have avoided a lot of pointless paperwork for people like myself and the irs when they won't be getting any extra money from me anyway. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Technically, you are receiving that money from the purchaser and then paying it to Ticketmaster or whomever as a fee. I agree with you, fees should be deducted but my understanding is they are not unless you are filing as a business. 

Also, keep in mind the change in the law is what must be reported by the payment processor, not what is taxable. You were supposed to be including it on your tax return if above $600 all along. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Technically, you are receiving that money from the purchaser and then paying it to Ticketmaster or whomever as a fee. I agree with you, fees should be deducted but my understanding is they are not unless you are filing as a business. 

Also, keep in mind the change in the law is what must be reported by the payment processor, not what is taxable. You were supposed to be including it on your tax return if above $600 all along. 

Gotcha, I've never reported anything with this stuff because I never thought it mattered cause I'm just happy to sell the Devils games for face value, the Rangers games are really the only ones that make money anyway, the rest I'm just happy to get face value. Red Bulls I always sell for face value as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Gotcha, I've never reported anything with this stuff because I never thought it mattered cause I'm just happy to sell the Devils games for face value, the Rangers games are really the only ones that make money anyway, the rest I'm just happy to get face value. Red Bulls I always sell for face value as well. 

I’ve always done the same with online sales. 

We’ve both been doing it wrong lol. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.